Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Gravel Bike?
Quote | Reply
What do you have? Love it or hate it?

I'm curating a short list to try out and want to make sure I don't leave any options off. So far, I'm mainly looking at the Cervelo Aspero, Scott Addict Gravel, and Argon Dark Matter. Anything else I absolutely need to test ride?

Goal is to get rid of the road bike (already sold the mtb and cx bike) and pair down to just a Tri bike and Gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How chunky is the gravel you intend to regularly ride on? Since you say this will replace you're road bike, are you still going to be doing regular tarmac-only rides? If yes, what's split gravel/tarmac, and will you have a set of wheels/tires dedicated to each purpose? What's the road bike you're coming from?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 26, 20 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are looking for a "racy" gravel bike. Put the Exploro on there and I think you're well covered.

One bike that seems to be selling well is the Salsa Warbird, but it might be less racy than you want.

EDIT: if you plan to get rid of the road bike, you'll definitely need a 2x for tight gearing. Road riding sucks on 1x (still).
Last edited by: NordicSkier: May 26, 20 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

I'm curating a short list to try out and want to make sure I don't leave any options off. So far, I'm mainly looking at the Cervelo Aspero, Scott Addict Gravel, and Argon Dark Matter. Anything else I absolutely need to test ride?

Goal is to get rid of the road bike (already sold the mtb and cx bike) and pair down to just a Tri bike and Gravel bike.

Happy with my Santa Cruz Stigmata. I wanted to shop locally and that was one of my options so I got one. So far, mainly fire roads, old rail road trails, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

Happy with my Santa Cruz Stigmata. I wanted to shop locally and that was one of my options so I got one. So far, mainly fire roads, old rail road trails, etc.

Another vote for the Stigmata. Running 1x with a XX1 AXS 10-50 RD and 40t upfront...has handled everything I've thrown at it, road or dirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Aspero. Used mostly on the roads so far but enjoyed the little gravel I’ve had it on. Ditched my road bike as well

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What groupo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an Allied Allroad, which I love. On vacation, I rented an Open U.P., which I also loved. Can't go wrong with either. The Allied is more like a road bike, and is more responsive. The Open can handle a wider tire. I think the Allied is much better looking, FWIW.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought a canyon grail and love it. it is now my primary bike. i also have 2019 tarmac pro. Seems like i ride the canyon more even on the road the my rode bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Allied would be a great choice.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:
i bought a canyon grail and love it. it is now my primary bike. i also have 2019 tarmac pro. Seems like i ride the canyon more even on the road the my rode bike.[/quote

Yep, me too - love my Grail.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Sounds like you are looking for a "racy" gravel bike. Put the Exploro on there and I think you're well covered.

One bike that seems to be selling well is the Salsa Warbird, but it might be less racy than you want.

EDIT: if you plan to get rid of the road bike, you'll definitely need a 2x for tight gearing. Road riding sucks on 1x (still).

Interesting. I've been looking at the 3T frames, both the exploro and the strava, and thought the 1x was all the rage for both. Didn't Dan just do a write-up several weeks ago about how great the 1x was on the strada, when Vrooman was offering the slowtwitch deal? So if building the strava, you'd go with the 'Due' frameset for the double chainring?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's your auto correct but it's the 3T Strada.

If I had one bike to do it all, I would go 2x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have exactly what your looking for. I have my PR 6 tt bike. Then for gravel/road, the OPEN U.P. with a 650 set of wheels with MTB tires (2.1s) and a set of 700c 28s. Works perfect for road and gravel.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
What groupo?

Apex 1. It was my biggest pause before buying, as I really wanted a 2x SRAM or GRX group. But honestly it’s been amazing and solid so far.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Gravel Bike? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a bit biased but I love my Exploro. It’s great as an aggressive gravel bike and fast as a road bike. I’ve got 650b for gravel and 56mm for road. I’m using it 1x with Red AXS and so far it’s been fine for 90% of my rides just switching cassettes. I’d switch to a 2x if I had a lot more climbing on my rides but so far I I’ve managed fine.

I’ve posted a few pics in the gravel bike thread if you want a visual
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My budget was somewhat restricted so went for best value for my budget for where I live, which more than a year ago ended up being the Canyon Grail 7.0. Love it.

Money no object, Gerard Vroomen would have had my money, either 3T (Exploro) or Open-up. For you goal of replacing your road bike with a do-it-all, the Exploro is one of if not the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OPEN New U.P. w/ Force 22. Awesome bike.
Quote Reply