Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favorite Bar (Nutrition)
Quote | Reply
I am currently using Lara Bar's (coconut cream pie) and Amrita Bars (Pineapple) on the bike for fuel. It is working okay, they are the right size, package is easy to open on the go...but the Lara Bar I am using is pretty high in fat.

I was wonder what everyone else uses that might have a better mix of ingredients but also gets in 200+ calories per bar.

I also use CarbBoom gels, GU Jet Blackberry gels, and Roctaine powder in the bottle. Also, just plain water.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Lara Bars too, along with Cliff Shots and Power Bar Shots.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using Tailwind lately for my nutrition. One scoop = 100 calories. So it’s easy to make up bottles accordingly.

For solid food when I just want something to feel more filling, I’ve always enjoyed regular fig bars. I like the Fig Newman brand. Easy to chew and swallow and feel fine in stomach.

I’ll usually stash a banana in my jersey pocket on longer training rides as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did an experiment last season only using tailwind for nutrition. No bars and no gels. Haven’t gone back. 400 calories per hour in a concentrated bottle and supplement with plain water to thirst. Love it. What’s weird is I never feel hungry. Even on like 5 hour rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of nutritional profile do you want for fuel on the bike? i.e. approximately what percentage of protein, fat, complex carbs, simple sugars, etc. (assuming 2-4 hour ride)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For racing, training or both?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to start carrying fig newtons in a sandwich bag. I had a friend that
ate these. Bananas are good too. I use crappy Clif bars which are loaded
with sugar and are highly processed. I have friends that pack individually wrapped Rice Krispie treats in the jersey pockets at about 100 calories a piece. They eat one every hour.

blueapplepaste wrote:
I’ve been using Tailwind lately for my nutrition. One scoop = 100 calories. So it’s easy to make up bottles accordingly.

For solid food when I just want something to feel more filling, I’ve always enjoyed regular fig bars. I like the Fig Newman brand. Easy to chew and swallow and feel fine in stomach.

I’ll usually stash a banana in my jersey pocket on longer training rides as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training: I'll use clif bars. Generally a half every 30 minutes. Supplemented with bananas.

Racing: scratch labs in my bottles w/ shot blocks. I've only ever raced up to 70.3, but there's no way I'm putting down solid food on the bike. If I'm bonking hard, I'll grab a banana or something on the run.

I guess I could probably do better than clif bars. I've used the honey stinger waffles, but they never really stuck with me.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For long rides I use homemade peanut butter and jelly uncrustables. I get them at 200 cal. And use tailwind for hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I alternate fig newtons and half a choc/mint Zone Bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picky bars and ucan bars for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rice crispie square
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clif bars in the flavor of your liking.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only eat bars on my long rides. Skratch Raspberries and Lemons FTW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Feed Zone rice cakes? They have both savory and sweet recipes and they are delicious! I bake them at the beginning of the week, cut into individual squares, wrap them in foil, and grab a couple before each ride. Super easy!
https://www.triathlete.com/...nut-rice-cakes_76982
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that I feel better if I have some fat and protein with my carbohydrates. Clif bar is my go to. They are $1 or less, eat one every hour. If I’m going to run after biking, I switch to Gatorade the last hour.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picky bars for me too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently like and use the skratch bars. My favourite is cherry and pistachio, followed by chocolate and almond. There are others and iirc they are all 200+. I don't get on with the savoury one that I tried. I find the chews easier to eat at higher intensities but they are <200cal/bag.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Jun 25, 19 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of you are really pissing money away at close to $3 a bar for Picky and Skratch. That’s just too rich for my budget on a disposable commodity. I’d be inclined to start making my own first via the Feed Zone recipes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite packaged solid’s are honey stinger waffles...and have opened one corner pre race and then use on the bike leg...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like ProBar Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, but lots of good flavors. I avoid anything with chocolate if weather is hot. I cut them up into 6 pieces, eat 3 per hour (one every 20 min on bike) for a total of 200 cal/hr. Drink Skratch Labs for hydration, which is another 100 calories or so per hour.

For IM I do
Hours 1-2: ProBar chunks
Hour 3: Bag of HoneyStinger chomps (they are easier to chew / less sticky than CliffBlocks)
Hours 4-5: ProBar chunks
Hour 6: Bag of HoneySkinger chomps

Run: Alternate Coke, then 1-2 CliffBlocks (on course) + water, each mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently been going with Erg! bars. Big fan of the choco-cherry flavor. Picky Bars are great too though my Trader Joe's doesn't carry them anymore :( Used to be a Cliff Bar fan but... something changed. I can't pinpoint it but about three years ago they changed something in their bars and the flavor changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outright Bar

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rx Bars for me. Clif is too sweet. Pro Bar good, but quite calorie dense. I may use to load before a race or after a very long session, but not as an every day thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cherry and pistachio bars are awesome!
Quote Reply

Prev Next