Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favero Assioma vs Team ZWATT (Power Comparison early impression)
Quote | Reply
This is my comparison of the Assioma Duo vs Team ZWATT

Usage:
ZWATT - 3000km
Assioma - 80km (3 rides only)

The Zwatt (Zimanox) is left only and got it from kickstarter after close to a year of waiting. Hasn't been an entirely smooth experience.

Signal strength:
Indoors
  • Zwatt: Poor. Connecting to my Fenix 3, putting the watch under the crank arms (on the floor) still nets signal dropout. A Little better on my 910xt. But signal dropouts when i bought an out-front mount for the 910xt.
  • Assioma : medium. Putting the Fenix 3 on a chair beside the pedals/crank - no dropouts. Putting it in front, on the laptop (running Golden Cheetah) - dropouts.
  • Assioma / Zwatt indoors via Laptop on ANT+ stick with Golden Cheetah - No Issues. So, who you want to blame? Watches are supposedly known for poor ANT+ signal connectivity from what I've read.
Outdoors:
  • Zwatt : OK. Fenix 3 on handlebar mount. 910xt on outfront mount occasional signal dropouts. Positioning is important
  • Assioma: OK for Fenix3 on handlebar mount. Not connected to 910xt

Battery Life:
Zwatt: I've charged it possibly 3x for the 3000km I've ridden w/ it indoors and out. Supposedly rated at 250hrs per charge. But I would gladly trade off batt power for some signal strength boost
Assioma : TBD, but at 50hrs per charge and some reports of poor battery life after an airplane trip / bumps transporting bike in the car.

Clipin/Clipout strength:
I'm using the as supplied 9degree red cleats. Float is really loosey goosey. Literally feels putting on some ice skates and going for skating. Clip in tension is OK. Not a problem. Clip out tension - as default is REALLY tight. Like REALLY. This is despite loosening the spring tension to the Max (and the max still shows like 2 lines from the absolute min from the pedal. See pic later below). DCRainmaker review has some commenters suggestion ways to reduce the tension further. I took that advise and after some tries, i feel that it is now loads better/lighter. (the other alternative was to send the pedals back to Italy and ask Favero to fit some lighter springs.)

How i fixed mine - loosen the screw until it comes out (it doens't really come out but it will jut out). use the allen key to do per below pic and use the hands to pull on the rear of the pedal. Then tighten the screws a little. Works for me. YMMV

Power Comparison
This is from an outdoor ride. 55km with the F3 connected to the Assioma and the 910xt with the (left only) ZWATT.
Note that from the assioma, my power balance is 55% left, hence by logic, the ZWATT _should_ read higher.

This isn overlay.
PINK = Assioma DUO, Green = ZWATT

You can see that the Assioma is reading higher. (yes. both are zero off-set before the ride)
The Assioma is supposedly rated at +/-1% accuracy based on IAV, the Zwatt i think should be normal 2 or +/-3% possibly. Dunno.
GPLama has suggested that the assioma tends to "lose the watts" quicker vs his Quarq (IIRC) and I can see that below. Does that mean that it would also gain watts quicker? I have no clue.

Critical Power Comparison
Please don't mine my POOR power data. You can see that the Assioma are definitely reading higher. So is that a YAY for my FTP or basically just "who cares as long as consistent?" If there's the notion of "lose watts quicker" on the assioma, the below graph looks like it paints an alternate picture. At the _really_ short power up to 1min, up to 10% power Delta or 30watts.

Moving on to 10 or 20min it gets smaller but still close to 5-8watts or 3-5% difference.
At the end of the ride, the Assioma still reports a higher Power vs the ZWATT, about 5 watts for the entire ride.

Note : Remember I said that the ZWATT is left only and the Assioma is showing me being 55% Left balance predominant? Then how come ZWATT is showing lower reading? it should be higher as left only just doubles the power output readings.

Anyways - Food for thought and etc.

Power Delta as Percentage (Pink - Assioma is the zero reference)

Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma vs Team ZWATT (Power Comparison early impression) [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work. This is the first time I've seen any data or user report of the Zwatt offering.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma vs Team ZWATT (Power Comparison early impression) [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
Great work. This is the first time I've seen any data or user report of the Zwatt offering.

You're right. There isn't much in terms of user reviews or user data or reports of user actually using the ZWATT PMs.
I've only been able to get info from DCRainmaker's review site comments.

I've had some dealings w/ the people behind zwatt, however I would put them in similar level of support as your review of xcagey PMs :-)

I bought the assiomas basically after being slightly pissed about support from them honestly
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma vs Team ZWATT (Power Comparison early impression) [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
myjunk wrote:
I've had some dealings w/ the people behind zwatt, however I would put them in similar level of support as your review of xcagey PMs :-)

I bought the assiomas basically after being slightly pissed about support from them honestly

Oh... damn. Well... stay tuned. I've got one coming. :|

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "How i fixed mine - loosen the screw until it comes out (it doens't really come out but it will jut out). use the allen key to do per below pic and use the hands to pull on the rear of the pedal. Then tighten the screws a little. Works for me. YMMV "

I believe I understand what you're talking about, but want to make sure I do. I find the clip out force excessive too despite having the tension adjusted to nearly minimum. Thanks.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma vs Team ZWATT (Power Comparison early impression) [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "How i fixed mine - loosen the screw until it comes out (it doens't really come out but it will jut out). use the allen key to do per below pic and use the hands to pull on the rear of the pedal. Then tighten the screws a little. Works for me. YMMV "

I believe I understand what you're talking about, but want to make sure I do. I find the clip out force excessive too despite having the tension adjusted to nearly minimum. Thanks.

Not entirely sure how else to say it. Except perhaps I made a typo. “Use YOUR hands to pull on the rear of the pedal.” The area where clear floats on or on top of the springs. This pulling is just my way of trying to eek out a bit more space

Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So open up the gap (stretch the spring), and while holding it open, re-thread the tensioning screw back in? Basically give some zero offset to the tension screw:)

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone who used spd-sl prior to assioma? i’m interested to know assioma’s clip in/out tension relative to spd-sl.
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma vs Team ZWATT (Power Comparison early impression) [petshopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw your other thread.
I have 3 pedals

1) Look Delta
2) Shimano Ultegra
3) Assioma

at the loosest setting, still a wee bit tougher than the 1 and 2.
Most notably, I'll put anticipating stops / traffic lights etc more and unclip earlier. also, I am more accustomed to unclipping towards the frame (eg: right leg, heel goes towards the bike frame). It's notably harder vs the recommendation of out of the bike frame.

hope that helps.

~400km on these Duos to date
Quote Reply