Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee?
Quote | Reply
I wonder if any of you guys ordered favero assioma straight from Italy to Canada, did you have to pay custom fee or tax of some sort when it arrived? If so how much? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn’t have to pay any additional fees or taxes.
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they send via canada post or ups? Thank u!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I haven't bought those pedals, I have purchased lots of other cycling stuff (groupsets, etc.) from Europe (UK, Italy, Spain).

First - Pedals are not subject to 'duty' (unlike wheels or bikes), so there's no big (15-20%) markup upon entry.

Second - All items can be subject to tax (HST), however, not all items that pass through customs get reviewed for tax. So, you could be subject to HST or not. The likelihood of paying tax depends on the shipping company you use. If it comes through normal channels (i.e. national postal services) you're LESS likely to pay tax. However, if it comes through private shipping companies (i.e. UPS), you're guaranteed to pay tax.

Third - If you are subject to tax, they will also add a customs surcharge (the fee for processing your parcel). Canada post will tack on $10. UPS will charge 2-3x that amount :(.

I'd highly suggest avoiding UPS for international shipments and always using the national postal services.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dboatx wrote:
Did they send via canada post or ups? Thank u!

It was sent through UPS.
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I order from the website how can I tell them not to send ups? Ive been hit hard by ups before thats why
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh wow i guess lucky? Everything ive purchased internationally that ships ups hits me hard with custom fees and tax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I got mine 10 days ago. They shipped FedEx and I had to pay duties.
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much was the tax?
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here - got it back in June and it came via FedEx. After a nice week long vacation for the package in Paris (smoking Gauloise and eating baguette I presume) FedEx called for duty prior to delivery. IIRC it was ~$80.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Ordered direct from Favero on Monday. Sent via FedEx and arrived in BC today (Friday) from Italy. Just 5% GST and $10 "ROD Fee" to FedEx. No PST or Duty.
Quote Reply
Re: Favero Assioma from Italy to Canada. Custom fee? [the chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
I feel like for ontario the total is gonna be around $1100 if i get hit with a hst and duty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just never order anything through DHL if you can help it. I got nailed with 160$ of duty, tax and processing on a 300$ pair of shoes. It always ends up ridiculously high with them and don't bother following up with Customs, there's a labyrinth of bureaucracy between you and your money. Sounds like FedEx is the way to go.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered mine last year directly from Italy. I never had a choice who they picked for shipping. It was determined for me. It ended up being DHL. Anything we have ever ordered from another country and that was shipped with DHL we've had to pay duty. I believe it was in the 80-100$ range but I'll go check. I also live in Ontario. Be prepared to pay.

Quinner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duty is determined by the government and the trade laws not the shipping carrier. I believe that bike parts do not incur duties at all, just taxes (the same as all imports) and a variable handling fee depending on the carrier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered mine Mid July and am supposed to get them tomorrow. Favero shipped FEDEX and I paid taxes/fees of CAD55. I live in Ontario.
Last edited by: jcc_33: Sep 3, 20 8:25
Quote Reply