Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fat Pride
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this belongs in the Lavender Room but we talk a lot about weight loss and health so...

http://www.nytimes.com/...mp;sq=fat&st=cse

Very familiar with the "you can be unhealthy at any weight" argument but this is the first time I've heard the converse. The fat pride folks are asserting that you can be healthy at any weight. Really?

Quote:
What we're doing in public health care policy is harmful. We give a direct and clear message that there's something wrong with being fat. - Linda Bacon, a nutrition professor at City College of San Francisco

Is Ms. Bacon correct?

Erik
Strava
Last edited by: mcdoublee: Nov 9, 09 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure if this belongs in the Lavender Room but we talk a lot about weight loss and health so...

http://www.nytimes.com/...mp;sq=fat&st=cse

Very familiar with the "you can be unhealthy at any weight" argument but this is the first time I've heard the converse. The fat pride folks are asserting that you can be healthy at any weight. Really?

Quote:
“What we’re doing in public health care policy is harmful. We give a direct and clear message that there’s something wrong with being fat.” - Linda Bacon, a nutrition professor at City College of San Francisco

Is Ms. Bacon correct?

First of all, Ms. Bacon? Seriously? That couldn't be more perfect. She was doomed from birth.

Second, I can't stand the Fat Apologists. "Let's ignore all the studies on the links between obesity and heart problems. Fat is GOOD."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to my Dachshund bacon is never wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat pride is laughable nonsense. No one would be fat if they could make an easy choice not to. There is zero benefit to being obese. The list of negatives are very long. Calling someone fat and disgusting is redundant. Wonder how many of the fat pride people have tried to lost weight? If so why? Weird that there is so much money spent on weight loss if being fat is healthy, wonderful and something to be proud of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its probably possible to be fat and have clear arteries and a healthy heart, but highly unlikely.

i mean that would be a LOT of food to eat and make sure you aren't getting any bad fats or sugars at all, plus you would just need some genetic talent to be able to gain weight and not artery goo

there ARE some advantages to being fat, like strength. See for example, heavyweight powerlifting or fighting. Being fat lets them also be more muscular.

there is a place in this world for big strong dudes that are a bit fat too

there is not so much of a place in this world for weak, fat, couch potatoes

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sumo wrestlers are probably the healthiest fat people but that doesn't mean they couldn't be healthier yet if skinny.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fat pride is laughable nonsense. No one would be fat if they could make an easy choice not to. There is zero benefit to being obese. The list of negatives are very long. Calling someone fat and disgusting is redundant. Wonder how many of the fat pride people have tried to lost weight? If so why? Weird that there is so much money spent on weight loss if being fat is healthy, wonderful and something to be proud of?
No kidding! When was the last time you heard someone 5'10" and 145lbs say, "Man, I really need to add 15 or 20 pounds. All of this lean muscle is killing me." From now on, I'll be asking my butcher to cut out the fat, but keep the meat!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Calling someone fat and disgusting is redundant.
This could be an interesting discussion, or it could be a showcase for a$$holes. Gee, I wonder which way this thread will go?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all for the interesting discussion and was not being an asshole. But lets be real here. No one wants to be obese and people think negatively about those who are, even other obese people. You disagree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This could be an interesting discussion, or it could be a showcase for a$$holes. Gee, I wonder which way this thread will go?"

We could also discuss how fat people hate thin people. I'm sure a lot of us get that sort of thing from the public at "large".
Last edited by: paul_tx: Nov 9, 09 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worlds a better place discriminating obese people, to an extent. Look what happened when we started discriminating smoking, people stopped. Being obese is just as bas as being an alcoholic or smoker. My in laws are very overweight and in addition to them having multiple health problems my sister in law is dragging down her kids as well; I think one of them is already pre diabetic at 8. I'll be surprised to see him live to 40.

If you think parents putting a diet on their kids table which makes them diabetic is an anomaly, think again, its becoming sickeningly common.

It pisses me off when groups try to act is if they are oppressed or kept down by the man; fat people are trying to create this buzz that they are oppressed like blacks were in the 60's and its apples and oranges.
Last edited by: furiousferret: Nov 9, 09 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we could contact ms. Bacon so she can weigh in on the discussion. This is a sensitive topic, one that will most certainly lead to heavy discussion.
For one I love bacon so I would be willing to hear her out.

Jonathan
USA Triathlon Coach/Adventure Extraordinaire
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"This could be an interesting discussion, or it could be a showcase for a$$holes. Gee, I wonder which way this thread will go?"

We could also discuss how fat people hate thin people. I'm sure a lot of us get that sort of thing from public at "large".

Amen brother.

On one run this summer I had a woman yell "eat a cheeseburger" to me. I about stopped and punched her. She was not obese, but definitely overweight.

I have prejudices against the overweight (occasionally I get physically ill watching fat people eat). But I can recognize my prejudice and have reasons for it.

In my experience, for as much hate as fit people have toward fat people, fat people have at least as much toward fit people. Whether it be jealousy, frustration, or something else, there is a lot of anger toward fit people in this country.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

We could also discuss how fat people hate thin people. I'm sure a lot of us get that sort of thing from public at "large".

Amen brother.

On one run this summer I had a woman yell "eat a cheeseburger" to me. I about stopped and punched her. She was not obese, but definitely overweight.

I have prejudices against the overweight (occasionally I get physically ill watching fat people eat). But I can recognize my prejudice and have reasons for it.

In my experience, for as much hate as fit people have toward fat people, fat people have at least as much toward fit people. Whether it be jealousy, frustration, or something else, there is a lot of anger toward fit people in this country.

Oh yeah, every hates fit people ;-) So that is why no one in the world admires super fit beautiful people;-) Also that must be why all the movie stars and tv stars are fat and not fit, to avoid the backlash from the obese? Must also be why companies overwhelmingly use fit people to advertise products? Also why there are about 50 magazines on any news stands dedicated to fitness and ZERO dedicated to being fat. There are several popular TV shows dedicated to nothing other than idolizing people who are able to lose weight, none about people trying to get fatter, why is that?

Taking abuse from people about being fit, gonna have to file that under "not a problem" right in there with pretty girls complaining about not being taken seriously because they are too attractive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Taking abuse from people about being fit, gonna have to file that under "not a problem" right in there with pretty girls complaining about not being taken seriously because they are too attractive.
I actually had a pseudo-intervention at work last spring when I was peaking for IMLP. I had 4 different people (none of whom are even remotely fit, but subscribe to multiple fad diets) approach me and voice their concerns that my training was making me too skinny and that I should scale back and/or eat more. I gave each of them the same explanation, and it was like explaining Schrodinger's cat to a pet store clerk. I consume x calories, I burn x calories, my weight stays the same. Apparently, math is not among their strong suits. The day I start consuming x calories, and burning 3x calories, I'll make a Denny's pit stop on my way to and from work.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an article about this in the Denver Post a few weeks ago. Some > 200 lady rode her bike daily, and insisted she was healthy because her cholesterol and triglycerides are within acceptable limits. While this may be correct in her case (which I seriously doubt), I felt it was hugely irresponsible of the paper to to publish the article, as it really sends out a bad message.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No kidding! When was the last time you heard someone 5'10" and 145lbs say, "Man, I really need to add 15 or 20 pounds. All of this lean muscle is killing me."
Actually I am 6'2 and 160 and say this all the time...LOL

---
Team Triabetes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That's unfair. And mean. I know plenty of people who are fat, but not disgusting.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [kemp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obesity is something that is a lot harder to deal with than most people (probably all people on here) can believe. A lot of the "fat pride" people are ignorant of the fact that they have a problem; it really isn't as simple as "ha ha, those idiots". Addiction to food is real, and these people need help. If they refuse it, then scorn'em, but its a more complex issue than most people think.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

That's unfair. And mean. I know plenty of people who are fat, but not disgusting.
Doesn't that imply that the remaining fraction is both? That said, I guess the original comment can be loaded in the sense that fat is objective and disgusting is subjective.

Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if that's what it implies I didn't mean that.

My point is: body shape and size is just that: shape and size.

It doesn't imply anything else about a person: whether they are nice or mean; polite or impolite; etc.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My point is: body shape and size is just that: shape and size.

It doesn't imply anything else about a person: whether they are nice or mean; polite or impolite; etc.

Agreed.

On the other hand, I'd argue that fat jokes and statements like "fat = disgusting" can tell us a lot about a person's character.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that they are assholes, or honest?

hmm

In Reply To:
Agreed.

On the other hand, I'd argue that fat jokes and statements like "fat = disgusting" can tell us a lot about a person's character.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Pride [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
that they are assholes, or honest?
That they are hateful.
Quote Reply

Prev Next