Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest Swim
Quote | Reply
A little help please - I'm competing in an open water 2.4 mile lake swim this summer. Non-wetsuit race.

I have 3 options in my drawer: speedo, jammers, viper swimskin. Which will be fastest?

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most likely swim skin but, by how much may depend on your ability and what you wear under it
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you wear anything under the swim skin?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll likely be about :59 minutes. Speedo underneath?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You wouldn’t if you want to be fastest. But people don’t always make good choices. But I would still wear something on the bottom underneath
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 31, 19 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim skin is likely fastest, but be sure it’s allowed. Have alternative plan, just in case.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my question too - if its USMS sanctioned, is a swim skin allowed?

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t you test all 3 in practice so you know for sure which is fastest?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Swim skin is likely fastest, but be sure it’s allowed. Have alternative plan, just in case.

+1 I have done a few OWS races and none of them have allowed a swim skin in the non-wetsuit category.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore my DeSoto Liftfoil to a 2 mile USMS sanctioned ocean swim. The ref said I could swim but will be counted in wetsuit division, which means no points. I quickly deck (beach) changed into a speedo but missed the start. Luckily, it was chip timed and your personal clock starts when you run down the start chute. So, not much loss except getting past the hordes who don’t know how to quickly get through surf.
So even though there are specific USMS rules allowing FINA approved skins, check with the ref. Their opinion (ruling) matters.

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Swim [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
What constitutes non-wetsuit? Are core shorts non-wetsuit for this swim? I would go core shorts, question then is swim skin over or under it.
Here are the rules:
USMS wrote:
303.4.1 Rules for All Swimwear for Open Water Events
A Design—Swimsuits shall be nontransparent and conform to the current concept of the appropriate. The referee shall have the authority to bar offenders from competition until they comply with this rule.
B Advertising—Products involving tobacco, alcohol, or pharmaceuticals containing substances banned under IOC or FINA rules may not be advertised, but the advertiser’s name only may be used. Offenders may be barred from competition until they comply with this rule.
303.4.2 Rules for Category I Swimwear for Open Water Events
A Swimwear shall include only a swimsuit, cap or caps (including those made of neoprene when the water temperature is not greater than 78 degrees Fahrenheit), and goggles. Swim caps shall be defined as head gear conforming to a traditional swim cap design and shall not extend to protect the neck and shoulders. Nose clips, ear plugs, and wristwatches are also allowed.
B The swimmer shall wear only one swimsuit in one or two pieces. All swimsuits shall be made from textile materials and not contain clasps or zippers. For both men and women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck and shall not extend past the shoulder nor below the ankles.

Interpret how you wish. At the start, a most inconvenient time, the ref will interpret for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are core shorts non-wetsuit for this swim? //

Are they made out of neoprene? IF so, then they would be a wetsuit, albeit a small one..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non-wetsuit race here simply meant summer in Texas. The race is being put on by a triathlon organization, and there will also be Olympic and sprint distance triathlons as well as the open water swim race. I registered today and had to enter my USAT number, so it should be USAT rules?
Quote Reply