Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest 20mm tubulars
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a new wheelset for my 2010 p2 and went with tubular as I got a great deal on a pro disc. What are the fastest tubulars that are 20mm? Seems Vittoria corsa is 23 mm and while this probably doesn't matter as much on the rear disc, I would like something smaller for my front wheel.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria pista speed G? But seriously, without resorting to track tires I think you're stuck with Continentals. They're not bad tires but you won't get a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Speed is the current fastest tubular tire: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...a-speed-tubular-2017

However, it's only available in 23mm. Continental Competition is 5.1 watts slower per tire, which is significant.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's what I found as well, but maybe the rr savings from running corsa speed will outweigh the extra draft from running 23mm tires on a 20mm front wheel?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What front wheel? Vittoria Crono were the fastest tubulars that were narrow. I used to run them on my H3C and Stinger Disc years ago. You can find them on eBay every so often. If you can find a Vittoria Triathlon in 21mm that’s a good choice, just send it to tire alert to replace the butyl tube with a latex one.
Last edited by: mike s: Jun 18, 18 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a older 808, now just leaning towards getting a pair of corsa speed though as options seem limited for 20mm. Wont have time to send them anywhere as i need them in one and a half week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found 21mm Vittorias (typically Corsa CX) NOS on ebay. That's still a pretty fast tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question is if they will be faster than corsa speed 23mm...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
The question is if they will be faster than corsa speed 23mm...

If you are willing to run the speed
You should consider the vittoria crono 22 mm meassures 21 mm. Jens said its super fast in his testing je said fastest tyre he ever tested and you will find it in UK online shop.

Having ridden mime as rear wheel for 400k 600-800k is likelywhere I will stop at front you should get more 1000- 1200 k

The vittoria cx 21 is latex its a good bit more robust lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Continental tubular, send it to these guys (https://www.tirealert.com/send-your-tires), and ask them to install a latex tube.

And now you have a Pro LTD tubular :)

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't answer that without a wind tunnel. Given how soon you need it, I'd get a pair of Corsa Speed 23's (which likely measure less than 23mm). Then if you find a faster solution later, you just peel the front tire and have a spare rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
What are the fastest tubulars that are 20mm? Seems Vittoria corsa is 23 mm and while this probably doesn't matter as much on the rear disc, I would like something smaller for my front wheel.

Pista Speed G+. Come in 19mm for the front and 23mm for the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
I've found 21mm Vittorias (typically Corsa CX) NOS on ebay. That's still a pretty fast tire.
After reading this thread I went to the garage and found two unused 21mm Vittoria CX II tires (and a third slightly used one), and one unused Veloflex Record (probably 22mm but it doesn't say). I will never use any of these, so if anyone wants one let me know and I'll let you have them pretty cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I just picked up a new wheelset for my 2010 p2 and went with tubular as I got a great deal on a pro disc. What are the fastest tubulars that are 20mm? Seems Vittoria corsa is 23 mm and while this probably doesn't matter as much on the rear disc, I would like something smaller for my front wheel.

Corsa Speed, probably. I used those this season and had 3 flats from august to june. So won't be using them again. Fast tyres, but IMO not suitable for long course.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, was that with sealant? I have two races where I was planning on using them a half in a few weeks, and a full with a 202km bike in august. I think for the full I will take Gp4000s or something like that as I really don't wan't to flat and it's 2k+ elevation, but the free speed is going to be more important in the half.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Damn, was that with sealant? I have two races where I was planning on using them a half in a few weeks, and a full with a 202km bike in august. I think for the full I will take Gp4000s or something like that as I really don't wan't to flat and it's 2k+ elevation, but the free speed is going to be more important in the half.

First flat was without sealant and the last 2 had sealant in. Maybe risk it for the half, assuming good roads and have Contis for the full?

You could try the Corsa. More puncture protection.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jun 19, 18 1:36
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's prob what I will do, did the half last year and roads were pretty good. Thanks for the help!

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest 20mm tubulars [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Get a Continental tubular, send it to these guys (https://www.tirealert.com/send-your-tires), and ask them to install a latex tube.

And now you have a Pro LTD tubular :)

So says the current reigning 2018 OVERALL US National Standard Distance Duathlon Champion...yep, good advice. Take it. He knows what he speaks. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Yeah that's prob what I will do, did the half last year and roads were pretty good. Thanks for the help!

The 70.3 I did in May, the roads were terrible, it was stormy and the roads were covered in debris. Loads of people flatted, I didn't, then 2 weeks ago, did a 70.3 on great roads and flatted 10kms in.... oh well. Shame as they are great, fast tyres.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Its a older 808, now just leaning towards getting a pair of corsa speed though as options seem limited for 20mm. Wont have time to send them anywhere as i need them in one and a half week.

If these are the original 808 tubular rims, the recommended tire width was 21. I'm sure 20s are just fine, but no need to restrict yourself to them.
Quote Reply