Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels?
Quote | Reply
Hello. Just ordered Speed Concept today. Going to order HED jet black disc+ HED Jet 9 black front wheel.
Could you help me to choose tires and tubes for my wheels?
This wheels will be only for races, i don't care about flats.
I don't want to mess with tubuless, so i would like to have clincher tires + latex tubes.
Is vittoria corsa speed + latex tubes the fastest option for me?
What about width? 25mm front tire+25mm disc tire are ok?
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a lengthy post on this very question...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Choice%3F_P6540722/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Hello. Just ordered Speed Concept today. Going to order HED jet black disc+ HED Jet 9 black front wheel.
I don't want to mess with tubuless, so i would like to have clincher tires + latex tubes.
Cheers.

I have a speed concept and am buying the same wheels soonish. My bike is old and has been hit by a car though (still works great...) but I digress... I don't want to mess with tubeless either. Least likely to flat, but if they do...

My understanding is that the tires HED recommends are 22mm Continental Attack but when they are properly inflated, measure out to 25mm (or so).

I'm pretty sure most of the board will recommend Latex tubes. I have very little experience with them.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Oh thanks.
Ok. Looks like i'm going towards vittoria corsa speed open TLR 23 front + 23 rear.

How about latex tubes? Any recommendations?

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

What do you mean you don't care about flats?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

I mean roads, where we usually have local TT races are clean and in a very good condition. I don't remember we had flats over there for last few years . If i have to choose between flat resistance/speed, i would go towards speed.
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Mar 14, 18 20:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
My understanding is that the tires HED recommends are 22mm Continental Attack
The current generation Attack & Force tires are now 23mm & 25mm. HED still recommends these as the fastest tire for their Jet Plus wheels.
Ksavostin wrote:
I would get the new Silca latex tubes for their shorter 41mm valve stems. They fit a little better in HED's disc wheels, and they are the right length for the valve extenders that HED provides with the regular deep wheels. The Silca latex tubes have removable cores and are made by Vittoria. The Vittoria are the general golden child. They have 51mm stems with removable cores. Then, the Michelin latex tubes are also very good and have longer stems. But, they do not have removable cores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti supersonic or TT all the way!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Oh thanks.
Ok. Looks like i'm going towards vittoria corsa speed open TLR 23 front + 23 rear.

Cheers.

I run the TLR 23 on my disc wheel and I also have a 1X setup with the ceramic speed over-sized derailleur cage. One thing to consider is tire clearance with the speed fin (the rear wheel fairing). I would not recommend a 25 and especially not the 25 Force. I already have to drop my chain to get wheel into the frame because of interference with the Speed Fin. The tall Force might be a real pain to into the frame. I can barely get it into my Venge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa Speed 23c is the fastest option for the Jet+, regardless of what HED says. Run them tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Gotta disagree. First, if you put a CS 23C on a Jet+ Disc, it creates big divots in the disc because the fit is too tight. I once looked at my disc and thought that somehow I must have dinged it, because it had all these 2-3 inch divots in it. Then I took the CS tire off and the divots magically disappeared.

But 2nd, I have found the 20C Conti SS to be faster than the CS on the front wheel. There are some wind tunnel tests floating around ST, that confirm a narrower tire does quite a bit better with the Jet+ -- mind you, the 20C SS measures about 23 when you put it on a Jet+

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Mar 15, 18 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

I’d go 23mm Attack front, 23mm GP TT rear. FYI, the 23mm GP TT is closer to 26mm on a Jet+ rim. You can make a 25mm GP TT work but you have to ditch the Speed Fin and install the UCI compliant brake cover... honestly I think that’s a good “mod” for the SC anyways as it makes rear wheel install and removal easier.

The 20mm SS is also a fast option.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

I’d go 23mm Attack front, 23mm GP TT rear. FYI, the 23mm GP TT is closer to 26mm on a Jet+ rim. You can make a 25mm GP TT work but you have to ditch the Speed Fin and install the UCI compliant brake cover... honestly I think that’s a good “mod” for the SC anyways as it makes rear wheel install and removal easier.

I would be curious about the Crr between the 22 and 23 Attack. The 23 is definitely pushing the 105% rule and it didn't exist when HED designed or probably tested the Jet + wheels. I think the 23 might have a lower Crr, but I bet it isn't as aero.

The 25 Force is an absolute pig in the Jet +. I like it as a road racing tire for the grip, comfort, wear and reasonable Crr, but I would never use it for a TT tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
zedzded wrote:

I mean roads, where we usually have local TT races are clean and in a very good condition. I don't remember we had flats over there for last few years . If i have to choose between flat resistance/speed, i would go towards speed.

Yeah go Corsa Speed G+. Fastest and lightest tyre on the market and fucking useless for puncture protection so pretty much useless for triathlon and any kind of road racing unless roads are ultra clean. So you're alright!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

I started with Corsa Speed G+ tubs, but got a flat 2nd time out in a sprint, so for 70.3 and important races I switched to Attacks. Great tyres, but not as quick as Corsa Speeds. But like I said the Corsa's are absolute shithouse for puncture protection, so I'll stick to Contis for long course.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But 2nd, I have found the 20C Conti SS to be faster than the CS on the front whee
l.

How have you quantified this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

Gotta disagree. First, if you put a CS 23C on a Jet+ Disc, it creates big divots in the disc because the fit is too tight. I once looked at my disc and thought that somehow I must have dinged it, because it had all these 2-3 inch divots in it. Then I took the CS tire off and the divots magically disappeared.

But 2nd, I have found the 20C Conti SS to be faster than the CS on the front wheel. There are some wind tunnel tests floating around ST, that confirm a narrower tire does quite a bit better with the Jet+ -- mind you, the 20C SS measures about 23 when you put it on a Jet+

I know loads of people running that combo and have never seen what you're describing. CS is BAE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these the new Supersonics that work? I remember reading from you, or Gerlach, that the newer SS isn't as fast as the old one. I have one on the front from a few years ago and debating another SS or go with the TT. Trying to calculate mileage to see if I can just keep it on there too. But I am using the 23mm one not 20.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

Where are you finding the GP TT for sale? I can get my hands on the Attack and others but having a hard time finding the GP TT 23mm
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Quote:
But 2nd, I have found the 20C Conti SS to be faster than the CS on the front whee
l.

How have you quantified this?

Field test. Again, if you poke around a little you can find some tunnel tests as well--not with the SS 20C in particular, but with narrower tires in general. As far as Crr goes, I test every tire on the rollers before I use it. There are various vintages of the Conti tires, and they all seem to roll differently.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

I have the same bike and the same wheels, some time ago I read Hed wheels were design around continental GP attack tires, shape of those tires was best in their aero testings..., those tires plus latex tubes are good combo. But this was done before Vittoria G tires etc.

I think they have removed statement about GP from their website I can't find it anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

Where are you finding the GP TT for sale? I can get my hands on the Attack and others but having a hard time finding the GP TT 23mm

tbh I haven't had to buy one in a while as I have four of them squirreled away and only use them race week and race day. You should be able to find them though.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

But this was done before Vittoria G tires etc.
G speed or open tlr ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:
Cheers.

tbh I haven't had to buy one in a while as I have four of them squirreled away and only use them race week and race day. You should be able to find them though.

Lucky you! Want sell a GP TT? I will have to keep looking and keeping my eyes peeled.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest/Best tires and tubes for HED wheels? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really?
The Corsa speeds I have seem far more robust than the supersonics. Similar to the GPTT.
Quote Reply

Prev Next