Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fast Tires - 40k
Quote | Reply
Hi - looking for recommendations for fast tires, mainly for oly distance tris and time trials. I use continental 5000s. Been out of the loop for a few years, wasn’t sure if there are options that are faster yet still pretty reliable against flats
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [Thissucks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
Vittoria Corsa Speed

FIFY, since there are numerous Vittoria Corsas.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
Vittoria Corsa Speed

So you know the OP is running Tubular or Tubular TLR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
trail wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
Vittoria Corsa Speed

Clinchers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin power tt with latex tubes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thissucks wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
trail wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
Vittoria Corsa Speed

Clinchers

So why suggest Speeds since they aren’t Clinchers? If the OP wants foldable Clinchers then Speeds won’t work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Speeds can be run as clinchers. Have done it for the last four years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a Corsa Speed on the rear (now tubeless, but with a latex tube prior) and a GP 5000 TT front tubeless for sprints, olympics, and halfs.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes obviously if you have TLR wheels but the OP wasn’t specific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. No TLR wheels needed to run them with tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how durable other tires are but GP5000 is pretty fast and durable at the same time. I’m scared of getting a flat. I rather go bit slower but have peace of mind. Some fast tires are durable and strong. I’ve been running GP5000 clincher tires on 4 bikes between mine and gf’s and no issues at all!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misread what’s available- Tubular and Tubeless TLR. That makes sense. Misread it as Tubular TLR and my head was spinning.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [Bigkat34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigkat34 wrote:

How are the durability of these? I’m still rocking the pro4 endurance 2 for the durability but have been considering switching.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was riding gp5000’s last year and flatted in both an Im and him race which both races took forever to take care of the flat because it fit tight on my wheels. Decided to try Michelin power tt in 2022 and it was much easier to mount and made it through two IM’s and Him with no issues. If you look at the flat protection on bicycling rolling resistance website it doesn’t come close to gp5000 in flat protection. Worked well for me though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa G2.0 Speed 23 front and a 25 rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Vittoria Corsa G2.0 Speed 23 front and a 25 rear.
This combination w/latex tubes beat me in my last TT - it is definitely fast. I was on 5000 TL tubeless w/ 30ml Muc Off sealant, 25mm front and rear.

Completely unscientific, but I've beat this rider in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Bigkat34 wrote:

How are the durability of these? I’m still rocking the pro4 endurance 2 for the durability but have been considering switching.

Rocked this exact tire/tube setup at Kona this year - they were great.

Just one race, but they felt great. Felt fast... which if I'm being honest is a big factor for me (and I'd hazard to say for most people).
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the Mich latex setup last year, worked great.

This year training is back to gp5000 latex but race will be the tubeless gp5000 TT limited setup. Supposedly gp5000 aero and also the low crr with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a new Dan Brigham interview on Scientific Triathlon and he is asked about his road TT tire choice. Michelin TT front with a Corsa Speed on the rear in a staggered 23/25 size was the best balance of aero and Crr. Whether he would switch to the new Conti 5000 TT if he wasn’t sponsored wasn’t discussed.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
This year training is back to gp5000 latex but race will be the tubeless gp5000 TT limited setup. Supposedly gp5000 aero and also the low crr with it.
I know burnthesheep knows this, but to prevent confusion for others following this, the GP5000 TT "limited" is also called the GP5000 TT TdF
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
There is a new Dan Brigham interview on Scientific Triathlon and he is asked about his road TT tire choice. Michelin TT front with a Corsa Speed on the rear in a staggered 23/25 size was the best balance of aero and Crr. Whether he would switch to the new Conti 5000 TT if he wasn’t sponsored wasn’t discussed.

I’ve tried 23 and 25 in the same course switching back and forth to see which one is faster in the front. I did this not just one day. Did it for several days to confirm. 25 was definitely faster so I have 25 in the front and 25 in the back. I used GP5000 for this test. You can try for yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

I’ve tried 23 and 25 in the same course switching back and forth to see which one is faster in the front. I did this not just one day. Did it for several days to confirm. 25 was definitely faster so I have 25 in the front and 25 in the back. I used GP5000 for this test. You can try for yourself.

I am sure there is a break even point between rolling resistance and air resistance. Brigham was moving at almost 35mph - at that speed air resistance was probably by far the limiting factor, plus the smooth surface allowed for very high air pressure in his tires.

If you ride slower, and/or need to use lower air pressure in your tires, you'll reach a point where 25mm is faster.

My suggestion - don't reach that point - use more power and ride faster!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Tires - 40k [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And beyond that break even, you have all the aero implication specific to each wheel and fork/frame combination.
Quote Reply

Prev Next