Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fan recommendations
Quote | Reply
So the missus and I finally put our workout room together, the room is 13'6"x13'7" with both trainers and the treadmill along the back wall. I also installed a 44" flush mount fan which said on the label that it was the right size for the room.

Not for working out, it isn't. I can barely feel anything when I'm on the trainer, and forget about it while I'm on the treadmill. I don't know what nonsense these guys are talking, but I got absolutely squat in terms of air movement from this thing. Part of that may be the necessity to flush mount, as the ceiling gets rather close once you get on the treadmill and start running.

Does anyone have recommendations for ceiling fans that they have used in this kind of setup? It's a longshot, but I would really prefer to not have a blower on the ground as space is getting tight in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Fan recommendations [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you want is called a blower.

https://www.amazon.com/...;keywords=blower+fan

I had one at work that I brought home for use. The amount of air it moves is in a whole different league.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree 100% on a blower. The guys at TrainerRoad recommended the Lasco “Max Performance” fan (https://www.amazon.com/...CafXL&ref=plSrch).

I bought it and loved it so much I bought a 2nd. It is very directional and found that I only have to use the lowest speed setting. I have one pointed at my head and upper chest and the second pointed at my torso and legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Fan recommendations [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the Lasko blower (or one of a similar type - on these the direction is infinitely and easily adjustable. The blower cited in the first response moves even more air but it is not adjustable unless you put something under it - those are designed just to blow along the floor to dry wet carpet etc.)

I have a 3 speed Lasko and even when doing 90 minute interval workouts, I almost never take it above "2." It moves a ton of air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think you can get what you want with a ceiling fan. First, the design and purpose is totally different. A ceiling fan is designed to move a large volume of air over a large space, but at a low (less noticeable) airspeed. Then, your situation is compounded by the need to flush mount, which restricts the air movement. And, a 44" fan is relatively small in the land of ceiling fans.

On a good day, a 44" ceiling fan may give you about 2,500 CFM of air movement, but that is distributed over the huge volume of the room. By contrast, a simple $20, 20" box fan may also give you the similar CFM, but it is in a focused path with higher air velocity directed exactly where you need it.

Then, take one of those $100 blowers... those babies are beasts. They are rated at around 3,000 CFM, but the airflow is in a directed "beam" of high-speed volume you can feel. The downside is that they typically require a 10A circuit, so that can sometimes be a problem if you have a lot of other high-demand appliances going when you need the air.

If I were you, I would try a simple 20" box fan that you can aim. They are cheap, do not take up much space, and do a pretty good job.
Quote Reply
Re: Fan recommendations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blower.....I have a fan and a blower for the bike. I can't even feel the fan when the blower is on. I picked this one up at WalMart. Doesn't require special wiring/breaker. Plug it in and go.

https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=lasko+blower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one similar to this:
http://a.co/aPkgoBW

It's around $40 and moves a TON of air, enough so that I regularly use it on MEDIUM or LOW setting. I strapped it to a small table and move it around my workout room between the bike/rower/treadmill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duckies wrote:
So the missus and I finally put our workout room together, the room is 13'6"x13'7" with both trainers and the treadmill along the back wall. I also installed a 44" flush mount fan which said on the label that it was the right size for the room.

Not for working out, it isn't. I can barely feel anything when I'm on the trainer, and forget about it while I'm on the treadmill. I don't know what nonsense these guys are talking, but I got absolutely squat in terms of air movement from this thing. Part of that may be the necessity to flush mount, as the ceiling gets rather close once you get on the treadmill and start running.

Does anyone have recommendations for ceiling fans that they have used in this kind of setup? It's a longshot, but I would really prefer to not have a blower on the ground as space is getting tight in there.

I have a work out room slightly bigger than what you have mentioned. I dont know which part of the world you are from but over here it can get rather hot during the summer. So, I got this ceiling fan which is of decent size but the air is sufficient for me. One of the advantages of this model in particular is that it has remote to boot. This helps me change the air levels even when i am on the treadmill or doing some other light exercises. It is pretty handy. in addition it has more levels that your traditional fans, whch is suitable for different times of the year. You can give this a shot.
Last edited by: bryan36422: Jan 12, 18 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Fan recommendations [bryan36422] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think with a first fan it's important to start local. I began with my wife and this year she wrote chalk messages of support all over Ali'i drive to make it seem that I had many fans.

A blower? Wow...I may not be getting the most out of my fan. You guys are next level. $499 used? What?!?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Fan recommendations [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have one of these Lasco Blowers On sale for $49 shipped at Buydig.com. Just picked another up...can't get blown too much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Lasko 20" wind machine. I think I got it from Walmart for about $26.
Quote Reply
Re: Fan recommendations [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting, ordered one.
Quote Reply