Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are so fucking stupid....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow. If I ever crash in a race, I guess I'll have to sue everyone who was ahead of me at the time, not to mention any spectators who encouraged me to speed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love how the article says that the family has an issue with the website not assuming accountability. Basically they are saying that they don't believe that the rider has no responsibility for his own actions and that the website should assume all responsibility. Seems awfully American to me.

Sad to hear about someone dying in a crash no the less.

Be interested to hear the outcome. If this ruling is found one way they could in theory open up Pandora's box.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the article

Quote:

The family takes issue with this lack of accountability. “They assume no responsibility,” Kang said. “They don’t put cones out. They don’t have anybody monitor and see whether a course, or a specific segment, is dangerous.”

Yes, a website that acts as a FREE (for non-Premium members) post-ride repository of training data, is supposed to monitor tens (hundreds?) of thousands of segments in the real world, in real time?
That's a fair expectation.

In today's world, nobody is ever a dumbass of their own accord. It's always somebody else's fault.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
In today's world, nobody is ever a dumbass of their own accord. It's always somebody else's fault.

Exactly.

Before I moved to the US, the occasional news stories we'd hear about some outlandish lawsuit or another were amusing.

After moving here, and having even more visibility to the bullshit that gets filed, it makes you wonder how some of these people function on a daily basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck, why don't they sue Garmin as well. He was probably looking at his speed displayed by his garmin just before the crash.

I assume (hope?) that this will get tossed by the judge as a frivolous lawsuit.

My sincere condolences to the family and loved ones.
Last edited by: morey000: Jun 19, 12 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course they are suing. Nothing is ever the person's fault, nope it's not me that is the idiot. It's Strava's fault for offering me courses to go for speed records.

Nice world we live in. (I was going to 'say nice country you've got there' but this 'not-my-fault' attitude has seeped over the border into Canada. Thanks for that USA)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what's worse....
1) lawsuit itself
2) lawyer that takes the case
3) the legal system that allows valuable tax dollars to be consumed by such a frivolous claim.
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on guys. Can we just respect the PROCESS! I'm not saying Strava is guilty or the cyclist is innocent, but can we please just RESPECT THE PROCESS?!?!?!

We're full of shit, just thought you should know.
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Oz we had a girl a couple of months ago who filed a lawasuit against her high school because she didn't get into the University that she wanted.Her parents thought that because she was sent to one of the most prestigious schools in the country that they should have been guaranteed a spot despite their daughter clearly not being smart enough to get into the course she wanted..

Idiots!!

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HEY!!! Back off man, it's not her fault. The school should have had a disclaimer that said attendance does not guarantee that you will get into the best University.

Stupid school, they better pay up.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Yes, a website that acts as a FREE (for non-Premium members) post-ride repository of training data, is supposed to monitor tens (hundreds?) of thousands of segments in the real world, in real time?
That's a fair expectation.

While I 100% agree suing Strava is ridiculous and that any risks taken are the rider fault, calling Strava just a "post-ride repository of training data" is silly. What makes Strava unique is keeping track of segments and keeping a "King of the Mountain" (KOM). It adds a competitive twist to normal rides and for many, myself included, gets me pushing harder during known segments.

Personally I think Strava has some responsibility to police the segments and so far I think they are doing a good job. I've seen multiple segments removed because they go through dangerous intersections and stop lights.

*edit - added "I think Strava" to last paragraph.
Last edited by: shaka999: Jun 19, 12 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't recall seeing the case but I hope the judge pointed out that genetics were the more obvious cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [shaka999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So by doing that, and apparently not removing this "dangerous" section, are they opening themselves up for the actual lawsuit to move forward?

I get that people seem to lack personal responsiblity. Just curious from a legal standpoint, if they are known to edit their software on some roads, but not others, if this case has atleast a chance to make it to court?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [shaka999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he should've written a really cool post-ride repository of training data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MUST

WIN

KOM

AT

ALL

COST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it in poor taste to wonder how he was doing in the segment before the crash??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It continues to amaze me the levels of low common-sense that we keep sinking to.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
So by doing that, and apparently not removing this "dangerous" section, are they opening themselves up for the actual lawsuit to move forward?

I get that people seem to lack personal responsiblity. Just curious from a legal standpoint, if they are known to edit their software on some roads, but not others, if this case has atleast a chance to make it to court?

They (Strava) ONLY will remove a dangerous segment if it is "flagged" by a Strava user as being dangerous.
That's the only way they'd ever know about it, since, unlike Google, they can't monitor everything about everybody everywhere 100% of the time.

I once contacted Strava because a segment had been "flagged", and I thought that was ridiculous, as it was no more dangerous than any of the other roads in the surrounding area. So I requested that it be "un-flagged" and opened back up again.
Not sure if they ever did, or not.
PS - I just rode that "dangerous" segment last Thurs nite w/ a buddy.
We lived. PHEW!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've yet to report a segment, but the segments I dislike usually include stop lights and/or signs. Just what we need is extra encouragement to blow through a stop....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
From the article

Quote:

“They (Strava) assume no responsibility,” Kang said. “They don’t put cones out.”

LOL, i don't see what the problem is ... Strava should totally be going out to the nation's roadways, putting down cones, waving flags, etc.

THAT's totally feasible and bound to be safer.
:-P

man, i feel for these people. somebody died and that sucks.
but this is terrible way to come to grips with it. and probably contrary to the way the deceased lived.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava doesn't put out cones? WTF?
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Dead Cyclist Sues Strava... [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cones jsut get in the way of riders that can't see where they are going when aero
Quote Reply

Prev Next