Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FYI - IM Bike without shoes
Quote | Reply
This an extract from the race report of IM Australia on xtri.com

What can you say about this guy ? I bet he doesn't make that mistake again......

Out on the bike course, competitor number 61, Yuji Adachi of Japan, was having a day to forget. A more practical application for the expression ‘S**t Happens’ would be hard to find. Yuji was easy to spot amongst the 1500 other cyclists – he was the one who wasn’t wearing any shoes.

“Where’s your shoes mate?” (Well, you have to ask, don’t you?)
“I left them in my hotel!” was the reply followed, somewhat redundantly, by “I am very unhappy.”

‘Nuff respect to Yuji, however. Not only did he ride the entire 180km with nothing between his feet and his clip-on pedals, but he also recorded a 5:24 split, the 200th fastest of the day! Then, how about this, he tucked his battered plates into his running shoes and knocked out a 3:08 marathon to finish in 9:30 and snag a Hawaii qualification slot. Did anyone ever deserve a ticket to Kona more?
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [pete_newing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't this guy have worn his running shoes?

By the way, I'd have to see a picture to really believe this. The whole story seems a bit sketchy.
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a picture in the XTRI.com report
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn good thing he remembered to take off his PCs.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't that violate the equipment rule? I thought it said you had to wear a shirt and shoes for the bike and run.

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds so hard to believe that somebody could have biked a 5:30 with no shoes. I just read the story and I guess its true, He should have gotten the Hawaii slot just for that. I couldn't bike 5:30 with shoes and a tailwind the whole way!!
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I just saw the pictures from that. I figured he at least had some socks on, nope completely barefooted. Ouch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think April Fool's Day falls on the 5th in Australia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why wouldn't this guy have worn his running shoes?

By the way, I'd have to see a picture to really believe this. The whole story seems a bit sketchy.

Here's the Pic:

http://www.xtri.com/...rl=2003/04/903-8.jpg

Does anyone know if T1 and T2 are in different places at OZ? Otherwise, why didn't he use his running shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was the mountain man guy with the big beard and cutoff jeans who did IMC barefoot... Bike AND Run as far as I know. Crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: FYI - IM Bike without shoes [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T1 and T2 are in different places at Forster, at least a few km apart.

And yes it is a legit story. At the awards dinner on the Monday night following the race, Mike Reilly got the guy up on stage. Not only is he a pretty damn good triathlete, but he also entertained the crowd with his story. He was presented with a special award for his efforts.
Quote Reply