Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total.
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I couldn't find any definitive posts here or on the web on whether the new 12 speed Dura-Ace Di2 would accept extra shift buttons.
So, I'm posting what I did and found out with the hopes that it may help someone in the future.

TLDR: With a bunch of faffing and some extra parts, like a Junction B and E-Wire, you can totally add at least 1 set of satellite shifters to a Dura-Ace 9200 TT setup.

======
My customer just brought in a new frame and a full Di2 TT group in a bunch of boxes.
We took an inventory to make sure we had everything we needed. Then I told him that with this setup, he'd have to use Synchro-Shift, because of the 1-button switches. He said that he would rather not use Synchro-Shift if at all possible, and would rather have full manual control of his front derailleur.

I automatically thought, "Easy, I'll just install those aero extension 2-button switches (SW-R671) that I usually install on all my customers' 11 speed bikes. "
But after some research, it looks like, currently there is no firmware update for the SW-R671 to make it compatible with a 12 speed system.
(Hopefully, Shimano will develop an update, but who knows?)

Checking out Shimano's official 12 speed component compatibility list, I saw that the Remote Satellite Shifters (SW-R9150) were compatible and had gotten and were eligible for a 12 speed firmware update.

I hooked up 1 extra Junction B (SM-JC41) and 1 extra E-Wire (EW-SD50) because there were no ports available with the setup my customer brought in.
Into the extra Junction B I plugged in the 2 (right/left) Satellite Shifters (SW-R9150).
I pushed the Satellite shift buttons but nothing happened.

I then hooked the whole system up to my shop's Di2 diagnostic PC Linkage device (SM-PCE02). This required yet another SM-JC41 and another EW-SD50, but this is just for diagnostics or updating.
I plugged The SM-PCE02 into my Windows 10 PC and ran Shimano's E-tube Project V5 software and kept my fingers crossed.
Voila! The software recognized all 6 switches, the right/left ST-R9180, the right/left SW-R9160 and my added right/left SW-R9150.
From there, I was able to assign FD and RD operations to the various individual switches as normal.
I disconnected everything from my computer, as per Shimano's instructions (very important, btw).

I did a final bench test to make sure that everything was working as planned and I can confirm that I/we now have full manual up and down control over the FD (base bar, left side) and of course the RD with the other 4 buttons.

Attached is a screenshot of the Shimano E-Tube Project software recognizing all the switches.
Also, a pic of all the physical components needed to do the install. (red arrows indicate extra parts that were needed.)
Basically, aside from all the stuff mentioned in Shimano's Dealer manual, like the new EW-AD305 (EW-SD50 to EW-SD300 converter) it seems like you have to add at least 1 extra SM-JC41 and 1 extra EW-SD50.

*I would love to know if it's possible to add yet another Junction B and another set of SW-R9150's, but I don't have them in stock. Maybe at a later date, I can update this.
Quote Reply
Re: FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total. [tsp61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why the images didn't go through.
They're attached here.
Quote Reply
Re: FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total. [tsp61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking good! Nice job :).

There is a limit of 6 shift units in any Di2 system. While I haven't tried using more, I trust Shimano's info on this.

Just in case anyone comes here via google: Yes, you can use the SW-R9150 and previous TT shfiters on a 12-speed bike.
However - these must be connected to the rest of the system (battery/rd) via wire. You cannot plug EW-SD50 shift units into a wireless shifter, unless you also connect that shifter to the rest of the system using a wire :).
(this doesn't really apply to TT bikes, since you don't use the current wireless shifters, but still good to know)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total. [Di2Terry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if they kept the TT shifters for TT bikes for 12 speed….what exactly is needed for a 12 speed conversion? As my bike has all the compatible shifters already that get the firmware update.
Quote Reply
Re: FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
So, if they kept the TT shifters for TT bikes for 12 speed….what exactly is needed for a 12 speed conversion? As my bike has all the compatible shifters already that get the firmware update.

The 12spd wire are different than the 11spd
There is 3 ports on the new 12spd battery , one to the RD one to the FD and one that will go to the front end.
The 12 spd wire to the front end from the battery requires a adapter.
Also make sure all the shifters have the latest firmware otherwise it won’t work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! This is awesome.

I just bought a 12-spd TT bike and discovered that full-synchro is the only way. I think I could live with that, but not the lack of head unit integration that you get with Di2 road shifters. Do you happen to have photos of where you placed the extra buttons? I'm sure I can figure something out, but always better to leverage the work of others if possible.

http://www.mamilian.bike
Quote Reply
Re: FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total. [babgvant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I don’t have a pic of my customer’s final setup. Next time I see the bike I will try to remember.

His preference was for Shimano’s “Manual” mode, which is manual control of his FD and no automatic shifting or anything.
So, I zip-tied the SW-R9150 switches on the underside of the bullhorns, at the base of the brake lever. This way he can use the original top button on the brake lever with his thumbs and then trigger the new switches I added with his index finger. Everything except the actual button part was wrapped with bar tape for a stealthy look.

If you want Manual mode, you’ll need all the extra parts listed in my original post.

Or instead of Manual mode, if you want an extra set of buttons to control your head unit through Shimano’s D-Fly, the above setup will probably work, because E-Tube Project let’s you assign that D-Fly function. I haven’t actually tested this, though.

It would be really, really cool if you could add yet another junction box and another set of switches for a total of 8 buttons. 4 buttons on the base bar for Manual shifting, 2 buttons on the aero bars for shifting and another set of buttons for controlling your head unit.
But! As Di2Terry mentioned, we’re pretty sure that the Di2 system can only handle 3 sets of switches.
I have not personally confirmed this though. And it’s not easy to do because I only have 2 customers running this new 12s TT DA setup.

If I could add the last set of 2 buttons, I would zip tie them at the base of the aero bar shifters.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I also prefer manual mode, but I prefer the D-Fly functionality more :). E-tube will allow me to assign the existing shifters to D-Fly, so I can't imagine that it won't work.

Now that wireless is part of the default spec, I hope that they bring out a wireless blip. It's surprising that Shimano only put one button on each shifter. I didn't even think to check it, not that it would have changed the outcome...

Last edited by: babgvant: Sep 12, 22 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total. [babgvant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it setup and working!

The only thing I really struggled with was how to make the bar tape look OK. Tried a few methods and they all look janky :).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did something similar to my Quintana Roo X-PR with Ultegra 12 speed. My previous bike had two button di2 and I did not like the synchro shift only function of the 12 speed. I added SW-R9150 switches to my basebar. When I first plugged these in, the etube app would not recognize them, and they prevented the system from shifting. I needed to go to my local bike shop and they were able to reprogram the SW-R9150 shifters so they worked. After that, I was able to recognize them in the etube and and reconfigure them how I wanted. I set them up like the old two button Di2 - the right hand shifts the rear derailleur and the left hand shifts the front derailleur. The aerobars are still single button and control the rear derailleur. If I need the small ring to climb a hill I am out of the aerobars anyways.

To make all this work, I needed to buy two cables to extend the SW-9150 shifters so they reached into the QR aero stem. Then I added a second four port Di2 box in the QR aero stem. All the shifters plugged into the two four port junction boxes. I had a short cable that connected the two four port junction boxes to each other. And then I had one port left to plug in the di2 wire that ran through the downtube to the battery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tsp61 wrote:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I couldn't find any definitive posts here or on the web on whether the new 12 speed Dura-Ace Di2 would accept extra shift buttons.
So, I'm posting what I did and found out with the hopes that it may help someone in the future.

TLDR: With a bunch of faffing and some extra parts, like a Junction B and E-Wire, you can totally add at least 1 set of satellite shifters to a Dura-Ace 9200 TT setup.

======
My customer just brought in a new frame and a full Di2 TT group in a bunch of boxes.
We took an inventory to make sure we had everything we needed. Then I told him that with this setup, he'd have to use Synchro-Shift, because of the 1-button switches. He said that he would rather not use Synchro-Shift if at all possible, and would rather have full manual control of his front derailleur.

I automatically thought, "Easy, I'll just install those aero extension 2-button switches (SW-R671) that I usually install on all my customers' 11 speed bikes. "
But after some research, it looks like, currently there is no firmware update for the SW-R671 to make it compatible with a 12 speed system.
(Hopefully, Shimano will develop an update, but who knows?)

Checking out Shimano's official 12 speed component compatibility list, I saw that the Remote Satellite Shifters (SW-R9150) were compatible and had gotten and were eligible for a 12 speed firmware update.

I hooked up 1 extra Junction B (SM-JC41) and 1 extra E-Wire (EW-SD50) because there were no ports available with the setup my customer brought in.
Into the extra Junction B I plugged in the 2 (right/left) Satellite Shifters (SW-R9150).
I pushed the Satellite shift buttons but nothing happened.

I then hooked the whole system up to my shop's Di2 diagnostic PC Linkage device (SM-PCE02). This required yet another SM-JC41 and another EW-SD50, but this is just for diagnostics or updating.
I plugged The SM-PCE02 into my Windows 10 PC and ran Shimano's E-tube Project V5 software and kept my fingers crossed.
Voila! The software recognized all 6 switches, the right/left ST-R9180, the right/left SW-R9160 and my added right/left SW-R9150.
From there, I was able to assign FD and RD operations to the various individual switches as normal.
I disconnected everything from my computer, as per Shimano's instructions (very important, btw).

I did a final bench test to make sure that everything was working as planned and I can confirm that I/we now have full manual up and down control over the FD (base bar, left side) and of course the RD with the other 4 buttons.

Attached is a screenshot of the Shimano E-Tube Project software recognizing all the switches.
Also, a pic of all the physical components needed to do the install. (red arrows indicate extra parts that were needed.)
Basically, aside from all the stuff mentioned in Shimano's Dealer manual, like the new EW-AD305 (EW-SD50 to EW-SD300 converter) it seems like you have to add at least 1 extra SM-JC41 and 1 extra EW-SD50.

*I would love to know if it's possible to add yet another Junction B and another set of SW-R9150's, but I don't have them in stock. Maybe at a later date, I can update this.
This is so cool
Why is this not universally know
There is nothing on google and shimano say it’s Impossible to do
Nice work and thanks for posting
Quote Reply