Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FTP of Pro IM athletes
Quote | Reply
What kind of FTP numbers are these guys putting out?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [banksy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What kind of FTP numbers are these guys putting out?
I don't know about top IM distance triathletes, but I have it on good (actually, the best!) authority that a recent pink jersey wearer can sustain ~5.5 W/kg for >1 h in the middle of a stage.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of these days you're going to have to emerge from your basement lab and speak in terms the rest of us actually use.

To those who live in the US and hold real jobs:

What the good Doctor is saying is that a top rider in one unnamed cycling event, weighing about 143lbs was holding 358 watts in the middle of a stage and did so for some period of time MORE than an hour.

Now get back on your PowerCranks.
Last edited by: walnutcreek tri: Jun 6, 07 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Walnut... mathematics was not my strongest subject!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually I think "some amount of time " >1 hr means "more than" 1 hour...

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What the good Doctor is saying is that a top rider in one unnamed cycling event, weighing about 143lbs was holding 358 watts in the middle of a stage and did so for some period of time less than an hour.

Funny - until you posted it didn't occur to me that my words could be taken as an allusion to a certain Spaniard...

Anyway, to be clearer: the rider in question is not Spanish, the event, although unnamed, should be easily recognizable, they weigh significantly more than 143 lbs, and the duration of the effort was more than, not less, than, one hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"To those who live in the US and hold real jobs:

What the good Doctor is saying is that a top rider in one unnamed cycling event, weighing about 143lbs was holding 358 watts in the middle of a stage and did so for some period of time less than an hour."

He's right, that's how the people with jobs in the US would read that...less than, not more than. I'm not saying his interpretation is right, just that the average US worker would turn it around as well!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its funny how you say Yellow Jersey, and everyone and their grandma knows what race you are talking about. You say pink jersey and people haven't a clue...you mean there is more than one bike race per season?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well...sure cyclist are in another category from ironman athlete..... but i would guess a front of the pack in hawaii rider is around 340-375 FTP so with a good position, that put you at the front of the race....... the best athletes will hold near 75-80% of there FTP for the ironman distance.... so 260-285... normann a bit higher than that....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, ok I missed the greater than BUT I was close....... and that counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
Last edited by: walnutcreek tri: Jun 6, 07 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it not more interesting to know W / kg? I have looked at some charts at internet and it seams to me that the top IM pros hold 3.5 - 4 W/ kg during an IM. Could this be right Jonnyo?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll update my post to say "normal people in the US"
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You say pink jersey and people haven't a clue..."

You're right, I live in the bay area, so when someone says that the winning man is awarded a "pink jersey" I'm thinking gay parade.
Last edited by: walnutcreek tri: Jun 6, 07 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well...watt/kg is something but for most ironman course.... it dosnt matter if you are 135lbs or 170lbs.... on the flat or rolling course(most course in the world) if you cant put out 260-300 watts .... you wont make it to the front or stay at the front..... weight isnt much of a factor and most guys get in a decent aero position so it s really about the watts

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To bad for me since i´m a light guy, 66 kg...I guess i have to run fast instead.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"To those who live in the US and hold real jobs:

What the good Doctor is saying is that a top rider in one unnamed cycling event, weighing about 143lbs was holding 358 watts in the middle of a stage and did so for some period of time less than an hour.
"

the funny thing is that anyone who is even a really average cyclist, around 143lbs, can actually do that...
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even a bad cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah really, I weigh 170 lbs and can hold 475 watts all day long! right.

I wish I was 1/2 as good as what many STers see as "average"!! Time to go ride and fix a bit of that....oh wait, my bike was stolen a few hours ago....DOH
Quote Reply
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [10-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you can't...but if you read the statement, you'll see why indeed, anyone or close can do that...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: FTP of Pro IM athletes [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
;-)

the conclusion of this thread is that people in the US with real jobs, have no common sense, and a completely flawed logic ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, you're still sticking to the "less than" statement...mis-read.

And no, I probably can't hold half of what I said....at best. Cycling isn't my strong suit. Then again, running and swimming aren't either!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess at high 300's to low 400's... When my ftp is mid 300's I can ride around 5hrs in IM, and when it was close to 400, I rode under 4:50 (and ran better :-) )....
Quote Reply

Prev Next