Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP change based off workout.
Quote | Reply
Heading for training camp and no time to test FTP.

Yesterday completed a 4 x 20min workout with 5min rest intervals. I averaged 97-98% of FTP for each interval. Finished 2 hour workout with NP at 90% of FTP, Ap at 85%. This was at the end of a fairly hard 4 days of riding.

Should I increase my FTP by 1-2% so my TSS scores from this trip are more accurate, or with out testing should I leave it.

I know this is really splitting hairs, just looking for people's opinions.
Last edited by: TA3: Apr 27, 18 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: FTP change based off workout. [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you also track your heart rate zones? Do you have confidence in the accuracy of your heart rate zones? If the answer to both of those questions is 'yes,' how did your power zone numbers compare to your heart rate zone numbers? Did they match or was one higher than the other?

To me, the answers to those questions would tell me whether I should consider "adjusting" my FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP change based off workout. [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not wear a HR monitor. Very seldom do I wear one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
Heading for training camp and no time to test FTP.

Yesterday completed a 4 x 20min workout with 5min rest intervals. I averaged 97-98% of FTP for each interval. Finished 2 hour workout with NP at 90% of FTP, Ap at 85%. This was at the end of a fairly hard 4 days of riding.

Should I increase my FTP by 1-2% so my TSS scores from this trip are more accurate, or with out testing should I leave it.

I know this is really splitting hairs, just looking for people's opinions.

Yes, you are splitting hairs. Throw in day to day FTP variations due to physiological/environmental changes alone (sleep quality, nutrition, stress, temp variations, etc) will vary your FTP by more than 1-2%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I adjust ftp based on workouts or race performances more often than trying to formally test ftp. I often do 3x 20 min at 90-95% ftp during a longer ride. If I were able to do 4x at 98% I think I'd definitely adjust up a little bit. At least 2%.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
Did not wear a HR monitor. Very seldom do I wear one.

The reason I asked . . . If I get a good FTP test and adjust my zones accordingly, my HR and power zones match pretty closely. With time, if my fitness improves, my power zone for a given HR zone will increase. For example, when I'm consistently running HR zone 2.9 and my power zone is consistently 3.5 or so, I know that my FTP is almost certainly now out of date (and low). It's time for another FTP test.

But if you don't track your heart rate . . . I don't have a good way to advise you on your original question. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you really want to be that anal about it, get WKO4 and use the mFTP to keep yours updated.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP change based off workout. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP change based off workout. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
No.

Well that settles it then. The man has spoken.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes up it, what do you have to lose? Worst case you have to lower it back down.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP change based off workout. [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Yes up it, what do you have to lose?

Perspective.
Quote Reply