Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

So like many, I thought i'd give FLO wheels the benefit of the doubt and give them a whirl.

600 wheels available (not sure how many discs), logged in on the dot, addresses pre entered and disc wheel put in the basket within 30 seconds of order 11 opening. By the time the credit card details were in, gone. (as long as it takes to type 16 digits!)

My advice, don't bother. 5 of us didn't get a wheel, 3 of which was their second time trying.

Great product FLO, lousy and ultimately disappointing stock levels.
Last edited by: daniel_hughes: Mar 20, 14 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels [daniel_hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I was fortunate enough to have successfully ordered one of the discs (not meant to brag as my wallet account just got substantially lighter!). My disc order was #6281.

I forgot to add in additional stickers, so I placed another order just over a minute later. ...my second order is number was #6673.

Within 1 minute thats an additional 400 orders for 600 wheels (some orders may include multiple wheels). Wow.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [daniel_hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But a good problem for FLO to have - makes for great hype for their product. You wouldn't even be mentioning FLO if there were like thousands of extra wheels to be hand, any time you wanted to order them.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand that the hype is good, and also not having huge stock levels for a new start up is great.

However, there should be enough that a customer can buy a wheel within 1 minute!

and this wasn't an isolated thing. Just pisses a lot of people off.
Last edited by: daniel_hughes: Mar 20, 14 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daniel_hughes wrote:
I can understand that the hype is good, and also not having huge stock levels for a new start up is great.

However, there should be enough that a customer can buy a wheel within 1 minute!

and this wasn't an isolated thing. Just pisses a lot of people off.

Just like WTC, right? Another company that seems to have no problems filling almost all their races - in minutes.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 20, 14 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did advertise that there were only about 100 discs available. So, type faster ( I had cc # copied and ready to paste). I'm sure it sucks if you don't get what you want. But for many, including me, it worked out great.

If you just want to complain, by all means, this is a forum and you are free to do so...but do you have a proposed solution or how much more are you willing to pay to ensure you get the wheel you want when you want it? My guess is you will eventually have that wish granted but you will pay the price for that convenience.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 20, 14 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure there weren't 100 available, as it stated only 10 of each hub.

How about sufficient ability to honour purchases within 15 minutes? You still get the hype of a countdown, you still get people talking and ultimately 5 people would have bought their product rather than advising their peers in the triathlon community not to bother trying.

Sounds a bit bitter i know, but it is a bit ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They make them as fast as they currently can ... when they get sufficient amounts ready they have a sale. The simple fact is this: Great wheels at low prices are in demand and go FAST. Simppe supply and demand.

I'm sure as they sell more wheels supply will increase and make it easier to get the wheel you want.

I already have a set of 90's and a 60 front from previous orders and was able to pick up a Clydesdale build disc in this order ... my number was 6442 if I remember correctly.

I'm guessing that heading straight for the "Clyde" version gave me a little longer to complete the transaction for a rear disc. I also emailed Flo ahead of time to see how many disc's they would have and how many of those were going to be "Clyde" versions ... of which they had 17, but I'm guessing most went for the standard disc first.
Last edited by: Wookiebiker: Mar 20, 14 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're manually typing anything into an order form for things that sell as fast as Flo's, you're doing it wrong.

Everything you need should be on the screen in notepad already. Copy + paste + click + done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have little doubt they considered various options to best deal with the supply/demand issue. While I know they visit this forum frequently, perhaps you should write them directly with a suggestion of how they could do it better. If your suggestion is feasible from a business perspective, I'm sure they will be all ears. But, throwing out an idea like honor all orders within 15 minutes probably won't get you very far.

Have you ever tried to get tix for an event but were shutout? What did Ticketmaster have to say when you suggested they honor all people who tried to order within first 15 minutes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the 30's even worth buying? I see they have them in stock still and am debating a set for my roadie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well 15 minutes, was an arbitrary number, but perhaps a sensible one. After all, it is possible to tell taiwan to build more rims, and it is possible to employ more wheelbuilders. U2 only have a concert hall in NYC for 2 nights, and then they physically have to move on.

They could structure it so there are two prices? The mad dash price and a normal order price. Personally i wouldn't be too bothered, about say paying a 10 / 20% premium for this.

On a personal level, cost is not the main driver of my purchase decisions, but i'm not built of money and can't extend to the levels of Zipp or lightweight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Boyd?

http://www.boydcycling.com/...s/60mm-clincher.html

priced between Flo and HED

daniel_hughes wrote:
Well 15 minutes, was an arbitrary number, but perhaps a sensible one. After all, it is possible to tell taiwan to build more rims, and it is possible to employ more wheelbuilders. U2 only have a concert hall in NYC for 2 nights, and then they physically have to move on.

They could structure it so there are two prices? The mad dash price and a normal order price. Personally i wouldn't be too bothered, about say paying a 10 / 20% premium for this.

On a personal level, cost is not the main driver of my purchase decisions, but i'm not built of money and can't extend to the levels of Zipp or lightweight.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Wish someone would buy the rest of the Flo 30s in stock so I'm no longer tempted to buy them!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [daniel_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The perfect solution for me was to buy a pair of lightly used Zipps.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a great product and a cool story, but thats the last time i go through that exercise. I will be purchasing wheels elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Have you considered Boyd?

http://www.boydcycling.com/...s/60mm-clincher.html

priced between Flo and HED
Great wheels, a lot of people in my area ride them. I'm looking to pick up a set of 90's once they get more in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it an odd way to do business. I mean if they consistently have over twice as many on the email list as wheels available why not up the availability at least 50% for the next order, see how things go with that order and adjust. I would think that they would want to at least try to meet demand. I have been in business for 30 years. You have to a product to sell in order to make the sale. It strikes me as an odd way of doing business but they have the freedom to conduct business as they choose. For the second time I chose not to even attempt to purchase a set. Interesting to see how it will work out for them in the long haul. I wish them well.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my 30s. Use them on the roadie for racing and on the tri as a wide training wheel. I've seen them laced up with a powertap as well, so very versatile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pissed about not getting Back Street Boys tickets too.

Great product, not enough shows. I'll never buy another album of theirs. Bastards.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha!

I guess you moved onto another boy band?

NordicSkier wrote:
I was pissed about not getting Back Street Boys tickets too.

Great product, not enough shows. I'll never buy another album of theirs. Bastards.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the FLO 30s. Got them after I got a 60/90 combo and didn't want to have to adjust the brakes on my speed concept. So far the 30s have been great.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheels - lousy stock levels [gilabruce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the 30s to hopefully be a little faster on the road bike and for a little more bling as everyone seems to ride with aero wheels of some sort.
Quote Reply

Prev Next