Quote | Reply
Thought I had good bike handling skills but maybe not

I rode it just 5 miles and put it away 2 years ago

No traffic, no wind and flat road and felt like I was going to dump the bike

Am I the only one?

Probably should just sell and get the FLO 40

I use the FLO disc and race on it even with higher wind gusts no problem

Operator error to blame?

Is the FLO 60 significantly easier to ride?

I wouldn’t want to get the 60 and have the same problem
Last edited by: RBR: Jun 25, 18 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Atleast take several rides to get used to it before u switch it out. You prob aren’t giving up a lot going to a 45, but for the hassle. Give it time. I’d go a 60 before the 45 as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also suggest giving it more time also before making a final decision.

First set of semi deep dish wheelset I rode was a HED Jet 5 (54mm depth). First couple of rides were a bit more "squirrelly" than I was used to. But after a few rides it got much easier as I got more comfortable. Eventually upgraded to a disc rear which made handling a bit easier in crosswinds actually paired with the 5 front. Lastly swapped the front to a Jet 9+ and while it was a bit more "squirrelly" at first compared to the 5's after a couple of rides I also got used to it. Although first ride of the year in aero with the 9/disc takes a bit to get used to again since I ride my road bike for practically all outdoor training rides. Race days are only when I get out the Tri bike.

It's kind of like riding aero for the first time. It takes some getting used to the handling but you'll eventually get the hang of it. As long as you are willing to relax and give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never suggest a 90mm unless the person knows what they are getting into and if you aren't pairing it with a disc while riding it it is even worse. I presume you were riding 90mm front and rear for that 5 miler or was it 90/Disc. 90/90 is harder to handle than 90/disc. Either way if you went with a 90 and now you want to go with a 40 that sounds a little disconnected to me going to the other end of the spectrum. Some of higher end wheel companies have focus on handling in the design process, or at least they say they have. Companies like HED and Zipp have marketed this in the past. Personally I rode a 82mm Zipp much of my time racing but I stick with 60-71mm a lot more these days. I have never ridden FLO so I can't really say if they handle any worse but I have no problem recommending a HED JET 6+.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 60 is also bad, get a flo30. You’re giving up 20 secs over a 40k going from a 90 to a 30.

RBR wrote:

Am I the only one?

Operator error to blame?

Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In defense of Flo...the front 90 carbon clincher is one of the most stable and fastest front wheels I've ever used.
In reality...it's much faster than stated versus their 30...in addition ...I've found it much faster than their 60 on the open road.
Don't give up on it...it's a very fast front wheel ...extremely fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Flo 60 is also bad, get a flo30. You’re giving up 20 secs over a 40k going from a 90 to a 30.

RBR wrote:

Am I the only one?

Operator error to blame?

Thank you for the info. I think I will get the, I think you meant FLO45. They made the 30 back in 2013. And it is 300 grams lighter than the FLO90

And it is only 9 seconds slower than the FLO90 probably make that up in being 300 grams lighter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The FlO 60 delivers a big bang for the buck. Raced on it for two years without any issues and I'm older and bit slower. Would get another FLO 60 if I needed another front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run this stuff through best bike split before making your decision. Unless you do 40k's in the 55-64 age group. If so, then, get the FLO30. And run a couple of Gatorskins for flat protection, too.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 60’s, had a set of 90’s and disc. I had a caad10 w 90’s front and rear and zero issues. Then got a new bike but originally had a shorter stem and wasn’t stable on the 90’s. Sold em and got 60’s and zero issues. I also got a longer stem and control got even better. I sold 90’s also bc I was done w Tri racing and getting into road and crit racing.

No reason u wouldn’t be able to handle the 60’s. They aren’t deep enough to cause issues IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
In defense of Flo...the front 90 carbon clincher is one of the most stable and fastest front wheels I've ever used.
In reality...it's much faster than stated versus their 30...in addition ...I've found it much faster than their 60 on the open road.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Flo 60 is also bad, get a flo30.
If you can't ride a Flo60 on the front.... omg you suck get off the road already.

(I am not paid to endorse FLO, but I am keeping it real)
Last edited by: spookini: Jun 25, 18 21:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Am I the only one?

Operator error to blame?

With no wind, is there really a difference between a 90 and a 60 and a 45? I have been using a FLO 60 front (90 back) for years with no issues, and I am really surprised that even with a 90 there would be any handling issues in calm conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with it, first time I used my Flo 90 (with the disc) was also my first time out on my tri bike this year and I was getting tossed around in the wind a bit (due to my poor handling skills, high wind and first ride with both the disc and 90). Kept with the disc on the back and implemented the 90 again after riding the TT more throughout the year and going on a less windy day. After that I had no issues racing my A race at triple T this year (probably not the most ideal place for the disc but it worked fine).
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now how can you argue with Bernoulli! We all know any fluid dynamics problem can be solved with the help of Bernoulli ;)

Bernoullitrial wrote:
Last edited by: TrierinKC: Jun 26, 18 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting thread. it came up at the perfect time, right as i was writing about this for an article just published on the front page (where i referenced this thread of yours).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
interesting thread. it came up at the perfect time, right as i was writing about this for an article just published on the front page (where i referenced this thread of yours).

I’m afraid to look lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a set of 60s for everyday riding outside and they are great. No issues handling them whatsoever. I throw a disc on for everything from Sprint to a full in September this year and it works awesome! I highly recommend the 60s as bang for the buck.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point. everyone is commenting on the handling differences in wind for various depths. I'm trying to figure out what was the cause of the poor handling here if it wasn't wind???
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well honestly it was 2 years ago but going by an email I wrote about it, first time it WAS windy.

Second time it was not.

Approx a total of 5 miles and I guess I just don’t have good bike handling skills

Sonas theoir website I will only be losing maybe 5 seconds in a sprint with the flo40 instead of flo90

BTW FLO has amazing customer service.

They seem to reply to emails before I even wrote them lol. But seriously they are amazing
Last edited by: RBR: Jun 26, 18 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Just read your article, thanks!

I train and race with a Boyd 90 front. You bring up several good points. 1) Train what you will race for confidence, 2) There are lots good choices for the price conscious athlete looking to ride a deep rim. (training on $3000 wheels is probably not prudent unless you can afford the loss), and 3) there can be diminishing returns for choosing a 90 front depending on several factors, so just have conviction on what you choose to ride up front.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its just a wheel. Its wind or nothing. Maybe you put it on wrong? I use that wheel all the time even on training rides. No problem in windy areas. I have raced through rain storms with it. No concerns with handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but maybe just get your TT bike outside a little more (assuming you train primarily indoors) and work on a skills/comfort a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 90 can’t use it [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but maybe just get your TT bike outside a little more (assuming you train primarily indoors) and work on a skills/comfort a bit.

Thank yuh for your suggestion

Seems I’m not alone

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...and_Deeper_6906.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Great article

Very good

Thank you
Quote Reply

Prev Next