Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!)
Quote | Reply
Hi Forums!

Scoured around the forums to find a more updated post on the new FLO wheels but wasn't in luck.

May I please ask what you all think about getting a 60/90 set versus a 60/Disc set? People have told me the difference between a 90 and a Disc is far too minimal to even notice and that some have regretted going for the 90 and should've bought a Disc instead. There are also some pre-conceived notions on Discs that they are "hard to work with" or "harder to pedal".

I race mostly on Oly and 70.3 and I plan to upgrade my wheels together with a new Trek P1 Speed Concept coming in a few weeks. What would work best for my case and why?

Sub Question: I heard the arm cups and pads on the Speed Concept were not so good. Could you guys recommend a nice set of Arm Cups/Pads for me to replace? 51 Speedshop? TriRig? Aerocoach Ltd?

Read on different posts that 51 Speedshops's pads tend to be slippery. But these were 2-3 year old posts and I was wondering if these have been updated for 2019-2020 so they could be different or updated now.

Recommendations and Opinions welcome! Let's have a good discussion! :)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [meanred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also looking for armpads

Following thread
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [meanred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy: 60/disc. It is much faster. And way cooler looking. If you search this forum on "always disc," you will get lots of hits.

My first set of wheels was FLO 60/90. I regretted two choices almost immediately. After a year, I upgraded to 90mm/disc, and I love this new setup more in every way.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Easy: 60/disc. It is much faster. And way cooler looking. If you search this forum on "always disc," you will get lots of hits.

My first set of wheels was FLO 60/90. I regretted two choices almost immediately. After a year, I upgraded to 90mm/disc, and I love this new setup more in every way.

Awesome! Thank you for that. I just really need more to back up my decision and to make sure I'm not doing something wrong with my money.

Will definitely search and check it out!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I also agree 60/disc is a great setup.
And I wouldn't discount zipps arm pads. Super comfortable.

What color scheme did you get?

What are some of the other build details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

A disc is only only 30 to 60 seconds faster than a 90 over the Ironman distance per Flo’s data. So 15 to 30 seconds over the 70.3 distance.

Faster, yes. MUCH faster, not really.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have to be Flo?
They are good wheels but why are you excluding other companies when paying for a P1 SC?
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I also agree 60/disc is a great setup.
And I wouldn't discount zipps arm pads. Super comfortable.

What color scheme did you get?

What are some of the other build details.

Full Ultegra DI2 setup on the group set. Got it with the Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 Wheelset. Color scheme is a sick looking Rage Red / Deep Dark Blue Full Fade with a Trek White logo.

The Bontrager wheels will be my shallow depth set and should I need a set of wheels for shorter distances or for training, they're my bet!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
A disc is only only 30 to 60 seconds faster than a 90 over the Ironman distance per Flo’s data.
That whole "watts to spin" debate accompanies this that suggests that the FLO data are modeled without rotational drag consideration. I don't follow it closely. But I do know that my bike got 30W faster when I did a few changes, including wheels from 60/90 to 9/disc. (No clue what the wheels themselves contributed, but I trust that they did not make me slower.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. Having gone round and round on this several times, I honestly see very little use for a 60/90 set up. The 90 is not as fast or as stable as a disc but not as shallow or light for more daily road riding. 60/60/disc is about perfect to cover all situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
I just really need more to back up my decision and to make sure I'm not doing something wrong with my money.
Here is an excellent post from an industry leader: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5938531#p5938531
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you aren't in a rush. am trying to get 40 ppl to commit to my arm pad design. will make in carbon.

delivery around February to March

120 retail, 99 usd for pre order. 50% deposit with order

bolt pattern will fit most brands.

pm me if interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 SC with 60/60 but an aero jacket disc cover on race day. Works really well for me. Derailleur rubs in lowest gear a bit but pretty rarely in that situation.

I didn't like the arm pads on my gen1 SC and replaced them with Cee Gees and they were great. Warning - they are really think so you'll likely want to adjust your pads down a bit to compensate. On my gen2 I have been fine with the Bontrager pads. Only negative I've had is they lasted less than a year and the fabric covering was coming off. That's more likely that my bike shop or I didn't pay attention when taking the pads off and ripped the fabric seem. When I replaced them I got more Bontrager pads which are stiffer than the originals but still work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [AlenB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlenB wrote:
Does it have to be Flo?
They are good wheels but why are you excluding other companies when paying for a P1 SC?

Well, I chose the FLOs because of cost. Other deep section wheels and discs more especially cost a fortune (if you can help me out with another company that manufactures a disc for the price of the FLO <with a 20% discount> then I may consider...).

It's not that I didn't consider them, I'd love a Zipp or a HED, or an Enve disc but the price isn't just too nice at the moment. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m using the 51 speed shop pads on my Speed Concept. I like cup shape and it has a lot of holes for adjustability. Used them all season this year and had no issues with the lads being slippery. The only thing I don’t like is they didn’t work with the Aerocoach angled wedge spacers that I had been using

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the aeolus xxx 6s with a disc cover for the rear. Used to run Flo 90s with a disc cover too. I opted for the disc cover because this way I had "2" rear wheels and can take the cover off it the weather calls for it or the race doesn't allow it. Granted there are only a handful of races that don't allow discs and I have yet to race in conditions that would warrant removing the disc cover, I like to know I have the option. Also, I can use the wheels on my road bike too.

As for arm cups, I have used the zipp vulas and the 51 speedshop. I prefer the 51 speedshops, they just feel more secure to me.
Last edited by: iliketri: Oct 24, 19 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went 60/90 and a disc cover I have been happy with it the last 2 seasons. Gives me even more options for a lot less $
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are only getting one rear wheel, and don't want to deal with a cover, getting a disc makes sense. The main disadvantage is convenience in day to day use, e.g., need to use a pump adapter, possibly different valve stem length from your front wheel, and a little more of a pain to transport (I try not to put a disc on my hitch rack). You could also get the random race director who decides last minute to ban discs, though that has yet to happen to me.
Last edited by: mike_w: Oct 24, 19 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Speed Concept as well, and put me down as another vote for 60 / disc. The only practical downside I see is that the disc is harder to inflate, but do yourself a favor and buy this Silca adaptor. It'll make your life a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And good call on the Di2. I bought my SC with Ultegra mechanical, and it seemed fine until I upgraded to Di2. Being able to shift on the base bars is huge, and I can keep my hands in a more preferred position while in aero. Plus, I find myself shifting more often to stay in the optimal gear.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I have a Speed Concept as well, and put me down as another vote for 60 / disc. The only practical downside I see is that the disc is harder to inflate, but do yourself a favor and buy this Silca adaptor. It'll make your life a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And good call on the Di2. I bought my SC with Ultegra mechanical, and it seemed fine until I upgraded to Di2. Being able to shift on the base bars is huge, and I can keep my hands in a more preferred position while in aero. Plus, I find myself shifting more often to stay in the optimal gear.

This adapter is awesome! Definitely ordering one or a pump that comes with something similar. Thank you for your input! :)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I’m using the 51 speed shop pads on my Speed Concept. I like cup shape and it has a lot of holes for adjustability. Used them all season this year and had no issues with the lads being slippery. The only thing I don’t like is they didn’t work with the Aerocoach angled wedge spacers that I had been using

Great! Really thinking of replacing the Bontrager ones with 51 Speedshop Cups and Pads... I'll still be using the Mono-extensions for the meantime as the Speed Concept accessory to insert custom/third-party aerobars seem to be the rarest thing on Earth nowadays. Great input, thank you! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
meanred wrote:
I just really need more to back up my decision and to make sure I'm not doing something wrong with my money.
Here is an excellent post from an industry leader: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5938531#p5938531

Read this entire thread and the gains of having the disc really seem to outweigh those of a 90 rear wheel. Having said that, I think I can confirm the most optimal set-up for any rider would probably be 60/60/Disc to make it worthwhile.

He also makes a good point about wattage savings. Not that I'm a top age-grouper or anywhere near a pro triathlete that 1-5 watts on both drag and spins matter, but it's definitely nice to know I'm saving a bit of energy without sacrificing any speed. Great read and thank you for your input! :)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60/90 vs FLO 60/Disc on a 2020 Trek Speed Concept (and Arm Cups/Pads!) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Same here. Having gone round and round on this several times, I honestly see very little use for a 60/90 set up. The 90 is not as fast or as stable as a disc but not as shallow or light for more daily road riding. 60/60/disc is about perfect to cover all situations.

Thank you for this input! I now as well do agree that a 60/60/disc is the way to go together with a pair of training wheels for shorter, off-seasonish rides (heck, when do we have an off season anyway?). Really appreciate this input and thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Cee Gees pads on my stock Trek arm cups and really like them. They're thicker than a traditional pad, so it might affect your fit slightly, but they're very comfortable and help to absorb road vibration. Look them up - very popular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meanred wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
I now as well do agree that a 60/60/disc is the way to go together with a pair of training wheels for shorter, off-seasonish rides (heck, when do we have an off season anyway?). Really appreciate this input and thank you!

Flo wheels are meant to be ridden in training and racing. If you want to intentionally slow your self down in training, by all means, by a training set. I can certainly understand using a slower set if you are too fast for the group in which you like to ride. It is one thing to wear slightly tighter clothing or small things like that to gain incremental speed on race day. But, I don’t understand those that simply like to “be pleasantly surprised” by the new speed such wheels may provide on race day. Practice with them so you are comfortable and ER used to the feel, speed etc you have at certain efforts. At least, that’s my advice. Others will disagree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next