Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!!
Quote | Reply
After all the time wasting of TSS, FTP, VI and STD!!!!!

here s a GREAT blog.... the message is simple but as i realize many dont get the message from Brett sutton interview 2...(that i personaly think was excellent and very informative of there training phylosophy)

here it is....

http://www.thetriathlonbook.blogspot.com/

comments?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooh, a post that didn't go completely over my head. I was getting so confused with the TSS stuff.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the post last night. Liked it!

Quote | Reply
Jonny,

Thanks for the link

Paulo if you are reading this, Thank you - very well written. I agree 100%.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good points by Paulo. I thought one of the important, and probably overlooked parts of the BS interview was his reference to LONG TERM INVESTMENTS in training... He talks about developing athletes over YEARS...not how fast they can go at their next big race. Lots of posts here on ST about month-long swim, bike, or run focus blocks...or even year long IM training plans... all pretty much focused on the next big event. but you never read much about people's long term development...where are they going to be performance-wise 18, 24 or 36 months from now?

People that are 2 or 5 levels from qualifying for Kona would do well to take this approach. Don't come looking for advice on getting fast enough to qualify at your IM next spring when your swim is still a 1:20 and your run is a 4:10. Stop imagining that set of 1080s and an SRM are going to magically elevate you to qualifier...

Put in the SUSTAINED, FOCUSED work over 18, 24, 36 months...set realistic performance goals throughout there and train smart to achieve them... Focus on developing your ability...and let the results fall where they will. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve I agree, well written.

The thing I see that makes a difference between the folks I race with who are at the top and who are not
is the commitment to training. I see VERY few folks who have the drive to train 12 months a year without having
to have anyone pushing them. Most need someone pushing them, which I guess is good since it helps
many be employed.

Reading all these things just gets me to smile. I do not need to pay a coach to get me to do the key things.
Swim, bike and run 6 to 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Keep my family first, and my health second.
Talk to successful racers, and see what they do. Read folks experiences. And then put a plan together that works for me.
I think I had overdone it training too much earlier in the year, and being sick a lot. So, I have kicked my training
back some to try and make sure I get to the starting line, and healthy. So simple.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I will just stay out of this!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Last edited by: BIGZACH: Aug 5, 08 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On this thread you wrote:

"I do not need to pay a coach to get me to do the key things. Swim, bike and run 6 to 7 days a week, 12 months a year."

And over on the BS Interview 2 thread you wrote:

"I also like Sutton, even though I have to admit, I would have no desire to be coached by him, would be
too much work and take the fun out of the sport for me."

And then you wrote here:

"And then put a plan together that works for me. I think I had overdone it training too much earlier in the year, and being sick a lot."

Notice all the conflicting issues? Despite your contention that its "So simple"...like you've got it all figured out...I'd hold you up as an example of how NOT to approach training, coaches, and triathlon.

Complete lack of focus and developmental approach. Hey...if you just want to be fit enough to do a few races here and there...and simply enjoy calling yourself a triathlete...fine...and your approach will make that happen in spades. Kudos for at least training consistently.

I suspect, however, that you DO care about getting better and improving your results (how many times did we have to read about your World's experience(s)?) If that's the case then I'd say you ought to FIND the desire to be coached by somebody like BS... It'll only feel like "work" until the results start happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BS produces winners. Or at least he has been lucky enough to produce them.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jonnyo (and Paulo as well) I think if more coaches spoke up like that there would be way more sanity amoung the age group crowd in Ironman land.I'm percieved as someone who does a lot of triathlon bashing but actully what I'm against is the get fast in just one season promises that the industry makes by way of gear and gadjets.

There are so many levels of talent,skill and experience in the triathlon world that it is frustrating to see so many people forget that to be successful at the top end(be it ag'er or pro)you need to put in a lot of hard work over a long time.You are a great example of exactly the type of dedication and work ethic required and your results are reflecting that.

Just look at Kevin Cutjars athletes in Penticton.He has a huge success rate with his age group Ironman athletes and they don't just finish they finish well.Why, 'cause he works them ALL YEAR and does not allow any time wasting or excuses.I'm glad Paulo wrote that article and well done to him for bringing some sanity back to the masses.
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Aug 5, 08 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pride myself on being able to take care of myself. I am also a total tight wad with money.
But, I have learned to never say never. Cannot take my money with me.

Maybe I need to pay Paulo to coach me. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo is such a BS slinger. There IS a secret, and he even alludes to it before going on to all that crap about long-term consistency (an obvious red herring). The secret is CADENCE, and it should be 80 RPM, FOR EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT CHRISSIE WELLINGTON RIDES.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems pretty good to me...everyone is different. Train in a way that allows YOU to get the work done.

Some quotes that parallel this.

"More is More."

"It takes 10years for an overnight success."

"HTFU"

"JFT"

-

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people on ST would find it hard to believe this part of the post was true!!! ;-)

Quote:

Last week I was with some friends...
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for my morning laugh. That was funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After all the time wasting of TSS, FTP, VI and STD!!!!!

here s a GREAT blog.... the message is simple but as i realize many dont get the message from Brett sutton interview 2...(that i personaly think was excellent and very informative of there training phylosophy)

here it is....

http://www.thetriathlonbook.blogspot.com/

comments?

I have enormous respect for the guy for his achievements. I wondered what Paulo would think of him, since Paulo talks more (to the public anyway) about what he doesn't believe in versus what he does believe in.

The other I've posted a few times to the athletes on the TBB website and you get a very nice reply. However BS often steps in to 'mediate' any discussion that might arise. I do think he puts a strong emphasis on creating the right environment for the athletes to work in. Part of that requires minimising outside distractions and interference. If you can put as many athletes on podiums as he has done this year then I think he is right in doing so. For me, if the cornerstone to TBBs success is this environment that they have created. The physical environment and training facilities, the support provided by the team set up (masseurs, nutrionists, eqpt sponsors) and also the consitution of the team. The members do seem to be very supportive of each other and their competitiveness seems to be very constructive (as opposed to the destructive impact of the San Diego set up that was mentioned in the article). I remember two things that underline the importance of the. The first book on triathlon I read (three year ago) had a quote from Simon Lessing saying to the effect that this is not a sport that you can do on your own. You need a coach or training partner. More recently Jordan put a nice article together on his blog about what a 'team' is.

Ultimately race performance is determined by what was done in training. You can follow a plan and log the hours, but that really doesn't get you all the way there. There are algorithims out the which try to determine the total effort you put into the training. The TSS model, which is difficult to translate into the triathlon world as we dont' swim or run with power meters. Paulo as devoted a lot of time recently commenting on the validity of these models. So these models don't get you all the way there. What really counts in attitude in training. Yeah sure you do need some easy/recovery rides, but on the other rides and runs, did you really go hard enough, to you really put in the work on the sprints or not. It's ATTITUDE that counts, and for the moment that remains unmeasured. Attitude in training comes also from motivation. I'll put the TBB key another way. They have created an excellent environment to ensure that their athletes remain motivated, focused and completely undistracted from their goals. This ensures the best possible attitude in training every day. If you train in those conditions for an extended period of time then you can afford to pay a lot less attention to whether you need Power Cranks, Disc Wheels, Aero Helmets, P2c or P3C, power meters, spokes with weights on springs, Newtons, Helmet beanies etc etc.

The result of this approach is that if two triathletes, from one from TBB and one not, get into T2 together, then my money is usually safer on the TBB athlete getting to T3 in front.

I'm not in the posse ;-), but I suspect that Paulo's approach to coaching is not a million miles from BS's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...I don't really "get" the article. I can't figure out who he's dissing. People who write about Brett? Triathletes who don't commit to the same level as the TBB athletes, yet expect the same results? Coaches who don't understand what really makes athletes tick, or who let athletes cut corners? People who are just generally mediocre? All of the above?

The whole thing comes off as kind of bitter and pointless to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's paulo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, in a nutshell, Paulo is still saying that more is more but that "more" is individual and has to be tailored to the individual athlete. Makes sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot the media that didn't write cover stories on BS before prior to the last 12 months.

Do Work Son!
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
people who focus on the trees, and forget about the forest. from reading the IT and ST articles on Brett, seems like he is really aa guy who looks after the forest above all. At the same time, without the trees, there is no forest, but he appears to be good at stepping back and figuring out which trees to focus on at any given time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [dw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering how long that would take to rear it's ugly head?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this Paulo guy have any successful athletes that he coaches? I see he has been coaching triathletes for 12 years, must be a few IM champs in his stable, so he must have some knowledge to share with us age groupers. Maybe slowtwitch can interview him?
Quote Reply
Re: FINALY, Paulo as something interesting to say!!!! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been "biting my tongue" since the first interview came out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next