Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR)
Quote | Reply
Look, I'm assuming most of you know about Team in Training. It's a triathlon training and fundraising project raising money to fight leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkins lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives.

This is a very personal issue for me- my grandmother died of lymphoma in 1997 and my father is a survivor of cancer of the palate. The chemo left him in such a weakened state that he can no longer work (he was a manual laborer). He also has difficulty eating solid foods... But this is a battle we can win- tonight at the kickoff we heard from a number of cancer survivors who are alive and healthy today thanks to techniques that weren't available only a few years ago.

I'm excited to begin training for my first triathlon (St. Anthony's), and honored to have found a way to help others in the process... but I need your help. I'm committed to raising at least $4200- Ideally, I'd like to double that.

Folks who contribute anything (even a penny) will gain access to my online training diary including fitness tracking, musings on my newfound athleticism (two Thanksgivings ago, I weighed 220 and had never been inside a gym), and probably some general observations on life. I've been told I'm a fairly articulate and engaging writer, you can gauge that for yourself.

That's the first part of the pitch. Visiit the link below and pay up. Consider it your good deed for the week. I believe it's also tax-deductible. Do it now!

http://www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/zoom

The second part is a little embarrassing. On December 9, I will be laid off- it's a really terrible economy for human rights advocates right now, and my prospects for finding something new right away are slim. The TNT program requires some gear that I don't have and I can't afford to buy anything right now; thanks to my limited income and commitment to spending personal funds on a number of volunteer projects, I don't have savings to dip into.

If anyone has this stuff lying around, it would absolutely be appreciated. I can compensate you with free commercial grade web hosting, tech advice, and good karma, but that's about it until I sell some stuff (anyone need a snowboard, Schwinn Speedster, or AGP video cards?).

I promise that once I am financially stable again, I will return these items to you or donate them to the charity of your choice. I am a Men's Medium (waist 33).

Missing from the "Bare Minimum" list (theirs):
  • pullbuoy
  • tire levers
  • 650c inner tubes (2)
  • co2 cartridges for practice (i have a head that apears to be made by a company called 'innovations') or portable high-pressure pump
  • tights or wind pants
  • exercise shirts (i have a Coolmax TnT shirt, but they say I can't train in cotton and Coolmax gets smelly fast without a spare or two)
  • I will need new running shoes within a month. Anyone have leads on where to find a cheap pair in size 11EEEE?

Missing from the recommended list:
  • Skin lubricant (anyone have a recipe?)
  • Cycling shorts (probably not needed. I have one pair of tri-shorts)
  • "over mitts" (i don't even know what these are)
  • Heart rate monitor (hey, it can't hurt to ask...)

Obviously, if you're only going to take one of these actions, I'd prefer that you donate to TNT- through my link or their website... it's not like anything on the list is a deal breaker. Thanks for your consideration.

--
Last edited by: aetherchild: Dec 1, 04 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR) [aetherchild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me you digits I can help.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR) [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm good for a HRM - where do I send it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can send you some of the stuff off your list - send me your address & i'll get it sent out.

(of course the shirts & shorts might be used, but at least they will be clean)
Quote Reply
Re: FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR) [That Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You people are amazing. It's only been five minutes! Keep an eye out for PM's.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on bro! My father is a survivor of cancer also. Sorry I can't donate to your fund since I have three kids of my own to feed and a Triathlon habit to boot! Have you thought of taking any kind of job to hold you over to pay for your traithlon hobby or will you be too busy training? I worked as a jaintor, dish-washer, yard boy in a steel yard, a ditch digger to name a few jobs while I put myself through college. Sorry Jesse Jackson can't find you a gig.

Oh, ok I am going to stop, this is a joke right??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this is a good cause..................However,if you can not afford tire levers($1.99)or inner tubes($3.50) or even running shoes I think you are in the wrong endeavor. I must do things very very cheap.When you want people to donate it is asking for a sacrifice.........................If $1.99 in tire levers is to much,you really should find another avenue of charity
Quote Reply
Re: FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR) [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]Have you thought of taking any kind of job to hold you over to pay for your traithlon hobby or will you be too busy training?[/quote]

Yes, of course, I'm sending out resumes like mad. I too am putting myself through college at the moment.

One of the frustrating things about living in NYC is that there's such intense competition for every job. So if I apply for a job as a janitor, I'm going up against career janitors. I am a computer consultant and my expertise is in the nonprofit sector- I've spoken on strategic uses of technology at Yale and MIT... but the corporate sector won't touch me since I don't have (expensive) professional certifications.

I remain optimistic about my prospects for the future and am willing and capable to work in a wide variety of fields- the real challenge here is the time crunch. The TNT program kicks off on Saturday, and we're expected to have this stuff ASAP.

[quote]If $1.99 in tire levers is to much,you really should find another avenue of charity[/quote]

Again, it's really an issue of timing. I don't expect to be destitute forever, and am happy to return tire levers/etc as soon as I am able- but the training program just happened to launch at the worst possible moment.

Again, funding cancer research is far more important than donating/loaning surplus gear, and I hope that can remain the focus of this conversation.

--
Last edited by: aetherchild: Dec 1, 04 20:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't team in training get their acronym right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't listen to the haters, it goofs with your mind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To respond to

Quote:
If $1.99 in tire levers is to much,you really should find another avenue of charity

Again, it's really an issue of timing. I don't expect to be destitute forever, and am happy to return tire levers/etc as soon as I am able- but the training program just happened to launch at the worst possible moment.
To do something for "ANY" charity is noteworthy. Again though,If a $1.99 is to much for you to afford then there should be a different avenue of raising money. What kind of bike you riding? What is being spent for your training in a pool ? As far as coolmax..............Damn I do all my training in cotton. Old cut t-shirts. I do not have cool max. Again,giving all the benifit of doubt,If you cannot afford running shoes,just raise money for charity in other ways, not "for charity AND for you for the way YOU want to raise money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something doesn't smell right here....
Quote Reply
Re: FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR) [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feel free to ask whatever you like. i'm being totally open.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"feel free to ask whatever you like. i'm being totally open. "

If you where a gay bunny and I was a gay carrot would you nibble on me?

Quote Reply
Re: FIGHT CANCER/sponsor me! (TnT, TSR) [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbs

You just made my night with that one......

I just spit rootbeer all over my desk

ROTFLMAO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply