Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FFWD D Arc Wheels
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FFWD D Arc Wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to bump this once. I'm kind of shocked nobody seems to care about these wheels given that they're optimized for low yaws and have a very pronounced indentation designed to "trip" the airflow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until they show data, it’s just another gimmic like dimples :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bump in less than 4 hours?
Quote Reply
Re: FFWD D Arc Wheels [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Until they show data, it’s just another gimmic like dimples :)

Yup.

We get too caught up in when we see the word "faster". The reality is a $15k P5 with disc and 808 is quicker than a $2k P2 with training wheels, but not by a whole lot. So yeah I'd imagine something like this, any performance gains would be virtually negligible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding from the Bike Rumor article is not that this is a boundary layer trip, but causes the laminar flow to separate early, so that it does not wrap around the full profile of the rim, and therefore stay out of the spokes in low-yaw.

I'd definitely want to see some testing in all yaw conditions, or at least CFD results, before I begin to buy-in to the idea. Even if it is better at <10 degree yaw, you have to make sure that benefit is not eclipsed by any issues that happen at higher yaw, even if you are only spending about 30% of your time at that condition.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: FFWD D Arc Wheels [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have "some" data here: http://www.ffwdwheels.com/...logy/fastest-wheels/

The shape of the "competitor" curve is familiar (likely a Jet 9+). Personally I don't put a whole lot of weight into one chart. It would be nice if they produced something a bit more substantial in terms of data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'd want to see the protocol - exact wheel, tires, etc. If that chart is of a top end wheel of comparable depth with best tire choice vs. the FFWD with the best tire choice, then looks good. But without those details....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: FFWD D Arc Wheels [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s usually a good litmus test: if a tire isn’t specified the resulting data is pretty useless to the consumer. That said, I still find the design of these wheels interesting.
Quote Reply