Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear
Quote | Reply
So, I'm a former runner and current road cyclist who also lap swims, but I've never done a triathlon. Don't own any specific tri gear. Here's the catch: I'm 6"5 and 170 pounds with a 37" inseam, basically like Joe Dombrowski but taller. I figure I need a medium tall wetsuit, but what do I wear under the wetsuit? I can't find any tall triathlon suits, and cycling jerseys are never long enough for me, so I wear bibs, which are also too short, so my wife cuts the straps off and sews 3-4 inches of spandex on. Tri shorts and no shirt? My cycling team long sleeve skinsuit? Something else?

I don't really want to rock the midriff showing look. I run shirtless frequently but definitely, definitely have never ridden shirtless and I have no idea if triathletes do that or not. Plus, I know that skin and armpits aren't very aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No experience with these guys, I just figured I'd google to see if anything came up.. Bicycling.com reviewed them specifically for their attention to big/tall riders:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/...cycling-apparel.html
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nearly 6'7" guy here feeling your pain. Just saw these on another thread here earlier today and was intrigued: https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/bibs-tall

I'll follow along for other suggestions...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach a 6'-9" formal D1 bball player and he found some Pearl Izumi gear that works.
Typically he uses a tri suit and sleeveless.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've tried ATD. Very cheap, fit is terrible, not even tall. Neither the large tall nor the medium tall were longer than my usual medium or large bibs. They're actually the worst bibs I've ever owned. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuck. Luckily in my size my biggest problem is I can never get anything on closeout since it seems everyone is my size.
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Nearly 6'7" guy here feeling your pain. Just saw these on another thread here earlier today and was intrigued: https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/bibs-tall

I'll follow along for other suggestions...

Well those would've been helpful a couple of years ago before my wife made all the bibs I own "tall" by adding two inches to the straps. 65 dollars isn't bad at all and they look decent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I havent tried them yet, but Roka has tall sizing in their tri suits. I use a tall version of their wetsuit and find it very comfortable. I am 6'3" but 34" inseam so torso length is probably similar to you. They are very helpful with sizing if you email them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’1” / 154 with a medium tall Orca wetsuit and it is just long enough for me but the wrists and ankles are still short and the torso is snug. You’d have no chance. Other brands might vary...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to Emilio De Soto, their tops are usually pretty long, and 2 piece is probably the way to go at your height. And they'll let you exchange or refund if it doesn't work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
I havent tried them yet, but Roka has tall sizing in their tri suits. I use a tall version of their wetsuit and find it very comfortable. I am 6'3" but 34" inseam so torso length is probably similar to you. They are very helpful with sizing if you email them.

Thanks, you're right. Unfortunately, Roka is $$ though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they are! I was going to get one with the black Friday discount since it was a bit more palatable but they were sold out of my size. Too bad!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:
So, I'm a former runner and current road cyclist who also lap swims, but I've never done a triathlon. Don't own any specific tri gear. Here's the catch: I'm 6"5 and 170 pounds with a 37" inseam, basically like Joe Dombrowski but taller. I figure I need a medium tall wetsuit, but what do I wear under the wetsuit? I can't find any tall triathlon suits, and cycling jerseys are never long enough for me, so I wear bibs, which are also too short, so my wife cuts the straps off and sews 3-4 inches of spandex on. Tri shorts and no shirt? My cycling team long sleeve skinsuit? Something else?

I don't really want to rock the midriff showing look. I run shirtless frequently but definitely, definitely have never ridden shirtless and I have no idea if triathletes do that or not. Plus, I know that skin and armpits aren't very aero.

I'm also 6'5", currently 178lbs if we're counting.
I wear a medium-tall wetsuit. I pull it up on the legs well past the ankle due to long legs but the torso length is okay. I've had both Xterra and Blue Seventy wetsuits.
I have some 2XU tri tops that i wear, though year over year the size seems to change. Used to be large, then that seemed to get shorter in length so have moved up to x-large which in their more compression style tops seems to fit nicely. Their 9" tri short also fits really well in the leg length.
I have succesfully worn a Louis Garneau as well as Zoot one-piece tri suits but the inseam on both these shorts is like 5 or 6" so you have to be comfortable showing a lot of upper thigh!

For your first tri, if you're doing a shorter distance like sprint, i wouldn't worry too much about clothing choices. Just get out there and do it and invest money once you know you're going to continue with it. My first one i wore a tight fitting Under Armour shirt on the bike and run and it worked great...though a little tough to put on it T1 when you're wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'7", jeans size 32x38.
Sleeveless 2XU one piece in size medium. Yes the legs are short on me, but it just makes for a higher tan line.
What bike did you find to fit right?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6’7” and 190lbs here. 36-37 inch inseam. I wear a one piece Roka tri suit in tall large and it fits like a glove - acknowledging your point that their gear is expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At your weight you'd be looking at a Large in many (race-oriented) brands, no? In that case, while the leg gripper may be a bit short if you have long femurs, the torso should fit alright. I'm 188cm and 68kg (trousers 30W34L, jacket 36XSlim/Long), hovering between XSmall/Small for most brands. Think slightly taller than Andy Schleck or Romain Bardet... Not all brands fit, but actually finding sports gear is easier than normal clothing. Some of the stuff I've had success with:

For wetsuits, Roka's Small/Tall and Sailfish XSmall/Tall were the only options that fit right.

For triathlon, Castelli's stuff fits me great, no torso restriction whatsoever (and is one of the better suits in general). I rock the AllOut Speed Suit for long-distance racing, and also the two-piece Free Speed Jersey + Free Tri Shorts which has a nifty interlocking "lego" type closure on the back which ties the botton and top together. No gap around the stomach area and it keeps the back fabric from bunching up. These are my current go-to pieces of kit.

I've also worn Champion Systems (their higher-end trisuits are fantastic), 2XU with success. Big no-no was Compressport, their stuff is oddly sized (though supremely comfortable when it fits) which felt very indecent out in public.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know your struggle... I'm 6,4 (or as starkowicz says 25 inches long). I tried several main brands XL and XXL for the length, but the fit never felt right, always short torso so standing let alone reach for swimming felt restricted. My first solution was to swim with the top down under my wetsuit... Pulling it up in T1, and opening the zip a bit for the run... But always felt like it was pulling me down subtlely running or if I stood tall that it was too tight to breathe.

Then I found a Dutch brand called Matong. The Dutch are one of the tallest lanky countries so they understand. The suit fit perfectly with the zip up, even swimming... Sung but not restrictive at all. Couldn't believe how good it felt. I got my gear 9n a good deal from the outlet, but via the site you can even order custom prints and stuff
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'3 and 190 and just bought a wattie ink speed suit in an xl. Fit is tight and it was on sale. I was think about doing a large but no way that would have fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got an inch or two on you (and 40 lbs) and have had reasonably good luck with a Castelli two piece in XL. I’d be concerned at your weight that although length probably*ok, it’d look like a bit of a tent. I would suggest going a one piece.

Am going to do the same just as soon as I find out whether I can get a deal on a fusion suit.

*referring to my reasonably good luck. I’d prefer it to be a fraction longer in the torso - a half inch or so of midriff showing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’3 and wear mostly custom stuff from Ownway Apparel. Company owner I think is around that height too. Their one piece is plenty long and their tri shorts are actually too long for me. Pricing is comparable to—or slightly less than—retail pricing for major retailers and you get to design your own stuff if you want. Otherwise the Tall version of Roka stuff works pretty well too.
Quote Reply
Re: Extremely tall cyclist wants to do a tri but doesn't know what to wear [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. I have procured a medium tall blueseventy fusion wetsuit (looks barely used) for 60 bucks, and I think I'll do my first tri in a sleeveless under armour shirt, if I have to wear a shirt, and trishorts.

After that point, I'll probably try and find a Roka medium tall trisuit on sale. I have some one piece cycling skinsuits and like them very much.

Edit: for those asking about fit, I don't have a triathlon or TT bike. My road race bike is a 61cm Focus Izalco team sl with a 130mm stem and 14cm of saddle to bar drop with 86cm saddle height. Most cat 3 time trials around me are Merckx style only so I haven't needed a TT bike yet.
Last edited by: stevendex: Dec 3, 18 8:32
Quote Reply