Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extended Stay in Girona
Quote | Reply
I will be staying in Girona for roughly 6 weeks this summer. I am seeking advice on what locations of the city to stay at or recommendations of specific places. I would like something that I can easily ride/run from the front door. If there's a track nearby, I would really like that as well! Any of advice about staying there is welcome. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Extended Stay in Girona [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have camped in Sant Pere Pescadore over 20 times since the age of 7. Only done day trips to Girona, so can't really comment on the city, however, I can comment extensively on triathlon training opportunities in the general area.

Top place to visit is Lake Banyoles. warm volcanic lake, with clear blue water, sulfer content keeps water very clear, but it is not so high to make it unpleasant. There is a 1000m swim course marked with buoys, so ideal OW swim training. There is a very pleasant, flat, 6km run round the lake, mainly in the shade and on well maintained paths, so no cars to worry about.

Head down to the coast. I would recomment the beach between Sant Pere Pescadore and Escala, it is part of a national park, so not built up, just a few campsites. The beach is 10km long, clean sand, and not at all crowded. As it is in a bay, and the sea shore is shallow, waves are not an issue - really perfect for non wetsuit OW sea swimming. Fantastic running along the numerous paths that run next to the coast, just pick your distance as there are miles of tracks all the way between Sant Pere Pescadore and Estartit. Beyond Estartit the tourist Costa Brava really starts.

You must have a bike, cycling is huge out there. You often see massive groups of cyclists. However, I do most of my riding solo out there, which is no problem. Road surfaces are smooth, you can find flat or hilly rides, the Pyrenees are on the doorstep, so proper mountains are an option

If you do get the opportunity I really recommend camping (especially if you have a family), if interested, look at camping Aquarius.
Quote Reply