Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explain to me yaw and wind
Quote | Reply
What is a 0 degree, 5 degree and 10 degree yaw angle?... Is this the angle at which the wind is blow to me?

If I'm going north and theres no wind, I assume the yaw is 0? What is the yaw when I'm going north and theres a direct wind going south? What about if the wind is NE, or N?
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me yaw and wind [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its the effective angle the wind is hitting you, if the wind is directly in your face or at your back its 0. At other angles, it gets more complicated because it is also relative to your speed, as in if I'm standing still with a 90 degree wind blowing at me, the angle of that wind will approach 0 as my speed increases. Its one of the reason they recommend deep dish or tri spoke wheels more to faster riders, less of an effective yaw angle.
Last edited by: HXB: Jan 19, 13 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me yaw and wind [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sense!

What is the highest yaw angle, is it 90? If you're moving fast, the yaw angle is smaller like 20?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The yaw angle will depend on wind speed and your speed, they have calculators on line that are fun to play with, perhaps one on the HED site, I don't remember, the highest is "technically" 90, depends on how you term a tail wind, but if you're moving you won't have a net tail wind. Common numbers are below 20. A 5 mph 90 degree side wind will be negated a lot when you're moving 20 mph forward, its the combo of frontal wind pushing back at you (same as your speed) and the vector of the wind from the environment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HXB wrote:
Its one of the reason they recommend deep dish or tri spoke wheels more to faster riders, less of an effective yaw angle.

Jet 6/9 and Zipp 404 / 808 type wheels do really well at mid level yaw angles that most of us experience a lot.

Discs do well at mid level yaw angles and even better at very high yaw angles

H3s due to being narrow do really well at low yaw angles, and again well at high yaw angles, but not so well at the middle ones.

Thats all rather confusing but my point is us slow and medium folk are advised to uses discs and 404s or discs and 808s, not just fast folk!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Explain to me yaw and wind [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride H3s, you can feel the disturbance at high yaw angles, they feel a bit "sludgy", but then again I would say I'm typically at very low yaw angles if you know what I mean...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HXB wrote:
I ride H3s, you can feel the disturbance at high yaw angles, they feel a bit "sludgy", but then again I would say I'm typically at very low yaw angles if you know what I mean...

yeah hard to handle up front, but pretty good on the drag apparently. a good kona rear wheel perhaps.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're a boater at all, it all figures in with the same concept as apparent wind. Imagine if you had a wind vane and anemometer aboard your bicycle, yaw is the direction your wind vane would determine the wind to be coming from. When you're stopped, the true wind and your apparent wind are the same, but the second you move, it shifts closer and closer towards the front of your bike (or bow, if we're talking ships). You can do a lot of trig to figure it out, use a computer that will do it for you, or do what I had to do for four years when I was at USCGA, but it would take me three hours to do a single problem now:

IG: idking90
Quote Reply