Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experienced PC'ers, a question about cadence ...
Quote | Reply
I am involved in another discussion on a newsgroup and the question was asked what is the highest cadence a PowerCranker can get to (like on a long straight steep downhill when power isn't limiting) for short periods of time? The highest I had ever heard before was 135, but that was several years ago. What is the highest cadence you have ever gone? What do you think the maximum is?

Thanks,

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced PC'ers, a question about cadence ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been at about 110. have no idea what the max could be.

and for my money, easier gear/higher cadence is a lot harder on the hip flexors, especially early on, than harder gear/lower cadence.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced PC'ers, a question about cadence ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the CompuTrainer, 161 w/PCs, as opposed to 187 w/regular cranks.
-b

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced PC'ers, a question about cadence ... [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could get mine to 110 before I lost control over the cranks and failed to maintain "normal" 180 degree crank orientation. I crusied at around 85.

The thing is, when I went back to regular cranks 110 RPM felt like nothing- it was easy.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've maxed at about 120 in interval sets on a trainer, and could only hold that for about 20 seconds. My spin sets on the trainer normally average 110 for a minute. I wouldn't call myself "experienced", though, having been using them <3 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second year on PC's usually top 5 as an AGer. I have hit 115-120 before but only for short periods. Anything sustained over 100 is working it. As Tom D said, usually cruise around 85-90 now which is about 10rpm higher than last year. I have not ridden regular cranks since last season, so I am excited to see how it goes in races this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced PC'ers, a question about cadence ... [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can hold about 140-145 for 30-45 seconds on my rollers. Haven't really tried it on a road in a long time, but I would guess about 5-10 higher is doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
109 for me. Maximum? Before reading the other actual reports, my guess would have been about 140.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Experienced PC'ers, a question about cadence ... [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bobo, or others, how do your spinscan numbers compare on the powercranks vs. regular cranks? How high are they usually?

I typically ride around 65 or so with regular cranks, but my powercrank numbers were only about 7 points higher at 72-74. But, my left/right split is more consistently even.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sustained 100-110 on the rollers for 30-60 min with 30 second surges at 120. Have not tried to go all out, but I do a weekly training ride with the summer with several sprints for signs with the boys. I strongly believe that I get up above 120 in a sprint, but I may be full of shit as there is not numerical evidence of this fact. Next year, I'll just check my max speed on a sprint, and work backwards from my gearing and wheel size to get the actual RPM numbers. At 60 kph with 50x12 with 700 wheels I am not much above 100 RPM, so I AM likely full of crap.
Quote Reply