Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experience with Chiropractors??
Quote | Reply
Been having some knee pain for three weeks that hasnt gone away. Ive done all the standard stuff (rest, ice, Motrin) but its still here. Ive got a friend pushing me to see a chiropractor. I was wondering what experiences people have had with this, whether theyve found it useful or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Chiropractors?? [marty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the chiropractor. I've had excellent results with mine---he's a triathlete and A.R.T. practioner and got me over my hip IT troubles and post-car accident neck and back pain. Though for a knee, I'd probably first go to the physical therapist/triathlete.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like in so many areas (yes, even in the health care field), it depends upon who you get. I couldn't ride without going to my chiropractor once a week, and I advertise for him because he does such a good job for my particular neck/upper back problem. I'm sure some are not good, just as there are some orthopedists I wouldn't have working on a dinosauer skeleton.

Find someone that has the highest recommendation of local athletes, regardless of what initials are behind his/her name. That's your best bet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I am a chiro (there's a few of us hanging here), I will have to give the profession a strong endorsement. However, it's like eveything else, some are better than others. My suggestion would be to ask around for a recommendation. If you can find one that's also a tri-geek then that's also a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also as a chiro I would like to endorse the results that we have with athletes. I would search for a chiro with a variety of skills such as: ART(Active Release Techniques) acupuncture, extra sports training etc.

although most chiros will be very effective at treating any spine complaints that you may have there are fewer chiro who have specilized skills geared toward your extremity complaints.

Check the active release website http://activerelease.com/ to find an ART provider in you area.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Chiropractors?? [logan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I haven't taken the course, from what I've seen of it, ART isn't anything new. Similiar techniques have been around for years under different names. It's being vigorously promoted as something newand wonderful. Not that it isn't good stuff, but the guys teaching it must be making a fortune.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody for the input.

I was also wondering if there are possible negative side effects to adjustments.

Ive never been to one but am a little sheepish about hearing the bones in me back and neck snap. Im just trying to get a little educated on the topic. Ive had some discussions with non-tri folks and people either swear by chiropractic care or have no use for it.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mixed results on the few occasions I've used Chiros. They're very good at relieving chronic pain, at least for a while, but haven't found the root of long term problems. The people I know who swear by them have one thing in common. They have to keep going to see them.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Chiropractors?? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also recently saw a chiropractor who is an ART practitioner. After 2 months battling an ankle injury and seeing 2 different orthopedists & 2 physical therapists, and 3 weeks in a walking cast with no improvements, 4 sessions of ART have done the trick. I'm finally running again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it does depend on the Chiropractor and your commitment to the course of treatment. I am a bad example because I am impatient and look for the "quick fix". Many times there isn't a quick cure for complex or subtle problems. I injured my back in a parachuting accident and it has never been the same since. I did try the chiropractor route but did not stay commited to the treatment. The fact that it wasn't entirely "successful" for managing my probelms isn't a commentary on the science of chiropratic, it was my inability/unwillingness to give it a chance to work. I think there are very valid prinicples and concepts to chiropractic therapy. It is like a lot of things, you probably get out of it what you put in. Good luck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Chiropractors?? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you I was originally prone to put the technique off as a repackageing of various soft tissue techniques. After-all the concept of shortening a structure contacting it and lengthening it is fairly simple. However, afte having taken many ART seminars I can honestly say that no other technique has revolutionized my practice as much.

I have been historically quite critical of "name brand" techniques as well as "guru" based techniques but after having spent thousands of dollars to become certified and re-certified in the technique I am more convinced now that it is a unique technique that has unique results for those patients who are best suited for it.

As a practitionner with an obvious interest in sports injuries you should take the course it I doubt that you will be disappointed

Logan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"As a practitionner with an obvious interest in sports injuries you should take the course it I doubt that you will be disappointed

Actually Logan,I'm at a stage where I've been winding down. I've been in practice for 21 yrs. A few years back I sold out in the city and moved to a rural environment with a much smaller practice that is attached as part of my house. I see about a third of the patient volume that I once did. Not that much sports injuries any more since I went from living in a college town to what is basically a retirement community, so there's just not the call for it. I figure I'll be retiring myself in about 8 yrs when I turn 60. I wouldn't mind going into teaching for a few years at a chiro college after that if the right position was available.

Over the years I spent a lot of money on various seminars. Try to avoid it now. It's not just the price of the courses but the travel/hotel expense involved since I now live in the boonies. If I was newer in practice and back in an urban practice with lots of sports type injuries I'd probably be very interested in the ART seminars. It certainly does sound quite good.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Chiropractors?? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the travel and such is brutal but what can you do? Where do you practice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd try a physiotherapist - one who is manipulative (has Grad. Dip. Manip. Ther. after their other letters). These guys are the ninja's of helping with sports injuries. Valid points made about chiros keeping patients coming back to receive ongoing treatment. In my experience physios get to the root of the problem and provide a long-term solution rather than a quick fix which some chiros seem to offer. I realise there will be exceptions in each case, however this has been my experience. In support I would point out that professional sports teams always have a team of physios as opposed to chiros... at least in Europe and Australia.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply