Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Expensive vs Cheap Wetsuit speed effect
Quote | Reply
As an AG front pack swimmer (1:18-1:28 / 100m pace) I neglected swimming in all aspects in 2017. Most of my races in 2017, I ended last in the front pack while I was always finishing first or second.

This year, I am back to serious (normal) swimming but I was also wondering what was the effect of cheap vs expensive wetsuit.

I had a synergy endorphin wetsuit that I lost for a Nineteen (Yes, the kind of stories that happen in races...brought home a competitor wetsuit instead of mine - Endorphin is more expensive ). Interestingly, while I think the endorphin fitted well, the nineteen is quick to remove - very important for someone who's a joke in transitions.

My question: I am thinking to invest in a pro wetsuit. Knowing I have other priorities, is it worth it ? Is it really faster ? Lighter and helps shoulders to well rotate?
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive vs Cheap Wetsuit speed effect [Morro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, did you contact the race director to see if someone was looking for a wetsuit that was mistakenly taken?

As to your question, the more expensive suits generally have better flexibility but may not be as buoyant, as better swimmers don't need that added lift as much.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my first 5 years in triathlon I used an entry level wetsuit, and I never had a problem with it. I didn't feel like it restricted my shoulder flexibility, and I didn't really think a high end wetsuit would make a big difference. Then I tried a high end wetsuit (Dare2Tri Mach 4) and I was blown away by how much better it felt. I found it to be almost like a buoyant second skin. I didn't have a problem with my entry level suit before because I didn't know what I was missing, but I'd have a tough time going back.

One thing I've found to be the case with higher end wetsuits is they can be faster and feel better, but they are more brittle, so you do need to be careful with them, and it's something to keep in mind if you're on a budget.

* Full disclosure, I'm supported by Dare2Tri Wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive vs Cheap Wetsuit speed effect [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, actually I did contact the race director and I even left a message in the race facebook page ! Nobody answered. And actually I prefer mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive vs Cheap Wetsuit speed effect [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Daniel. That's the kind of experiences I needed to hear.
Last edited by: Morro: Mar 26, 18 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference between my full HUUB Archimedes and every other full suit I've had is the shoulders and upper arms are much more flexible on the HUUB and I don't notice them at all. Other suits I've had are an Xterra Vortex 3, Blue Seventy from quite a while ago, Aquaman Bionik, TYR CAT something and a 2XU POS that I demo'd years ago.

I've not seen any difference between any sleeveless suits I've had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some testing on a TYR Cat 3 vs a Cat 5 a few years ago. Something like 2 rounds of 1x600 in each suit with a cross over design. This insured each suit was the first suit tested on 1 of the 2 days I tested. There was zero speed difference in the pool but the Cat 5 (higher end) was more comfy and less restrictive.

Some of the high end suits have stupid stuff like catch panels and mesh forearm panels. Those suit designers should be castrated. When I did some extensive wet suit testing a long time ago, numerous suit designers/manufacturers told me those will often make a suit slower vs just neoprene but you've got to have them on your top of the line suit to sell in that high price point.

The other thing that the overwhelming majority of companies told me was that in internal testing their 2nd line suit was often their fastest suit.
When I was sponsored by a wetsuit company and they sent me their fastest wetsuit, imagine my dismay when I opened the box and it wasn't the suit all their pro's got.

When I called the brand manager he said well they've got to have the top of the line suit bc that's what we want to sell where as the handful of age groupers we sponsor we can put them in our fastest suit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are presumably suits out there that might fit you at least a little better than what you have or whose materials are a little more flexible. All things equal, higher end suits are more likely to fit better and be made of more flexible materials, but that depends in part on your body shape and swim technique. Neoprene rubber also loses some flexibility over time, so a new suit should be a little more flexible than an older version of the same suit (and the "drying out" of rubber has nothing to do with keeping it wet, notwithstanding what some folks on here will try to tell you). And suits vary both in terms of how much flotation they provide and how they distribute that flotation. One option: buy one or more suits from a company with a liberal return policy, like Roka, and test them and return what doesn't work for you. But if what you have feels like it works, I'm not persuaded it's worth the time or the money to try to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive vs Cheap Wetsuit speed effect [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The other thing that the overwhelming majority of companies told me was that in internal testing their 2nd line suit was often their fastest suit.

Today I learned, buy the second tier of wet suit and it will probably be the fastest.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive vs Cheap Wetsuit speed effect [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hammonjj wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Today I learned, buy the second tier of wet suit and it will probably be the fastest.

In some cases that may be true, but it's definitely not a rule for all brands though.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply