Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Expensive Shoes - Worth it?
Quote | Reply
This is mostly for the Xterra crowd as I am references mountain bike shoes, but the same question could easily be posed for road/tri shoes as well. Is there any point to upgrading to high end shoes if you already have a mid price one? In my case, I have the Sidi Dominator and I'm thinking of upgrading my shoes to the Sidi Dragon as I've always wanted a swank pair of kicks, but I'm having a hard time justifying it outside of pure vanity. I know they're a touch lighter and have boa dials, but, in general, are high end shoes any better than their mid tier counterparts?
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Shoes - Worth it? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and no?

If your shoes are comfortable and don’t give you any trouble then there’s no real reason to upgrade. But higher end shoes usually have better fit systems, stiffer soles (important on long rides on tiny off-road pedals), weigh less and have better ventilation. So there are additional features, but the question is if you need them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^^^ What he said.

I am a roadie, and the increased stiffness of higher-end shoes is noticeable and feels more comfortable to me (although whether it makes you faster is a different story). I imagine it would be the same with MTB shoes.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race on the road and also ride (but not race) MTB and always make the investment in the top end bike shoes. You'll end up with the stiffest sole, the best closure system, the best fit, the best durability, the lightest shoes, etc. I have found that bike shoes will last several years so to me spending $300 on a great pair of shoes is justifiable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO. It's 99.9% marketing hype.

I've been biking as an adult for nearly 3 decades now.

EVERY bike I own has SPD pedals on them (the mtb compatible version), and EVERY shoe I own is at the SIDI Dominator level, at best, or lower.

I had a pair of the Dominator 2's for about 15 years, and they seemed to be held together by memory at the end - the only reason I ditched them was because one of our dogs chewed the straps off when she was a puppy.

My road shoes are the SIDI's w/ the nylon sole and one ratchet strap, 2 plastic snap-in ones.
MTB/cx shoes are SIDI's with 3 velcro straps (so technically a 'downgrade' from the Dominators)
MTB/trail shoes are Spesh Rime.
Tri/TT shoes are PI's that I don't recall the model, but were under $100.
(this was to replace my ancient SIDI T1's that I accidentally threw out after a wet race - I'm a moron)

The main reason I didn't get another pair of SIDI's for MTB/trail, was that I wanted Vibram rubber soles, since the SIDI nylon ones are like being on ice skates if you have to get off your bike on wet rock.
(of course, like 6 months later, SIDI then came out with their own, real rubber soled version)

My road & TT bikes all have $40 Wellgo SPD road pedals or equivalent on them.

The 'spendiest' pedals I own are XTR xc pedals on the gravel bike, but I got those on sale, such that I pretty much paid XT price for them. The MTB pedals are XT Trail pedals.

If one believed all the BS marketing hype, were I were to run $$$$$ pedals and $$$$$ shoes, I'd then be fast enough to ride in the TdF, set the bike course record at Kona, and impregnate Kate Upton.

All that said - if YOU WANT to buy some new shoes, then have at it!
Maybe they'll make you more psyched to ride, maybe the placebo effect will make you faster.
If it'll make you happy to engage in a little retail therapy, then go ahead and do so.

But, it won't have any measurable improvement on your bike performance.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Jun 16, 19 13:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sitting here at the coffee shop after my first ride in a new pair of sidi drako with the two boa adjusters. Pick them up for $200 off ebay new in the box. They are some sweet shoes.
Had a pair of early doninators with the yellow soles and the soles got all soft and fell apart. I say go for the best shoe you can find. You only live once! They are a joy to climb in. Very stable an no flex when you stand up and power up hill. I've even seen the new drako II"S as low as $249 just not in my size. Good luck...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve always found higher end gear to be worth the money, with the sole exception of bike components. I can’t tell the difference between Ultegra/DuraAce, Chorus/Super Record, Bora Ones vs Ultras, etc.

But my rule of thumb is if it touches my body (shoes, race suit, chamois, saddle, grips, etc) , the extra bit of quality and comfort is worth paying for, so long as it doesn’t create financial hardship.

Edit (addition): I’ve also noticed that sometimes you don’t notice the upgrade at once, but it’s when you have to use your older cheaper/backup gear when you suddenly think to yourself “man this stuff was kind of crappy”
Last edited by: wintershade: Jun 16, 19 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes and no....

important is fit.. personally I will pay the $$$ if they fit period. Riding with hotspots for 4-5 hours is a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Shoes - Worth it? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I

But my rule of thumb is if it touches my body (shoes, race suit, chamois, saddle, grips, etc) , the extra bit of quality and comfort is worth paying for, so long as it doesn’t create financial hardship.

Edit (addition): I’ve also noticed that sometimes you don’t notice the upgrade at once, but it’s when you have to use your older cheaper/backup gear when you suddenly think to yourself “man this stuff was kind of crappy”

Boom!

Indeed for the CONTACT points with the bike - it's always worth the time and money to find the best fit with the most comfort.

The whole pedal/cleat/shoe complex is part of this. It needs to be comfortable AND something else to think about - this is where all of YOUR fitness and power are transferred to the BIKE!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so, but based on my sample size 1... Here is what I have discovered:

I own a pair of old Sidi Genius 5 (close to 15 years old?) and a newer pair. The newer pair are stiffer and def feel faster. But... Wattage doesn't change between the two.

I also own a pair of Sidi T1 (15 yrs old) and T2. Same thing as above - T2 feels faster because it has the carbon vs the plastic structure of the T1, but no delta in Power.

I will also add that the more flexible shoes feel slightly more comfortable than their rigid cousins, but to be honest, after 10 minutes cycling with either of them, I can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the cheapest pair of MTB shoes Shimano makes and I use them for mostly commuting although MTB occasionally as well. I actually prefer them over more expensive shoes. If I was pro MTB racer I would go with something more high-end for racing but I love my cheap Shimanos

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For MTB, I find that the added price between low- to mid-level is worth it. I had a Bontrager low-level BOA shoe (Foray) and exchanged them for the upgraded Cambion model - much better. Why?
  • Compared to road shoes, the smaller cleat means more localised pressure. The Cambion's stiff sole is more comfy since I don't have that hotspot under the metatarsals.
  • Many companies only spec the decent rubber outsole on the higher-level shoes. The Foray was awful, it was slick as ice on rocks and roots - whereas the Cambion allows me to hike-a-bike without fear. Shimano's mid-range also has Michelin rubber rather than cheap-slick stuff on the lower-end shoes.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your current shoes are pretty high-end. I find the cheap shoes have a lot of plastic and are poorly constructed and generally a waste of money. Shoes like your side will last a long time and and give you good service. I tend to dislike the boa closure system because when the cable breaks you are stuck without functioning shoes until they mail you the replacement parts. I got plastic buckles on the sidi are generally pretty adequate even when they are packed full of mud.

If you want to live a little bit get yourself some nice flat pedals and a pair of 5 tens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been my experience that Sidis all fit pretty much the same. The top end models don't fit any better than the low end ones.

For MTB I prefer mid range shoes because they get the crap beat out of them with all the crashing, hike-a-bike, dabbing, mud, water, and everything else. I would rather buy two pair of mid range shoes instead of one pair of top range.

Dominators have been a standard in MTB racing for a long long time. You won't get a meaningful difference by giving Sidi more money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
This is mostly for the Xterra crowd as I am references mountain bike shoes, but the same question could easily be posed for road/tri shoes as well. Is there any point to upgrading to high end shoes if you already have a mid price one? In my case, I have the Sidi Dominator and I'm thinking of upgrading my shoes to the Sidi Dragon as I've always wanted a swank pair of kicks, but I'm having a hard time justifying it outside of pure vanity. I know they're a touch lighter and have boa dials, but, in general, are high end shoes any better than their mid tier counterparts?

Echoing what others have said: If you're comfortable, stick with what you've got. Of course, it could be the case that you go try on something else and find them more comfy than what you've got, and shoes will eventually wear out (and smell)... so you'll have to replace them some day.

I have tested and reviewed a lot of shoes, and as a general rule, I've found that the mid-priced ones tend to be the most comfortable. My favorite MTB shoes are the cheapest ones that Shimano made at the time, that came in the wide option. They're a bit heavy, but it's what I could afford. It is getting a little crazy with the $400-500+ shoes... Almost all of the shoe-related press releases I get these days are $400+. Often these high-end shoes have less padding and a less substantial upper to save weight, which can translate to less comfort. One good example is the new Imperial from Giro (their newest high-end shoe) - they actually added weight back because their last top-tier shoe went too light and wasn't as well received.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say yes but that not to just assume that more expensive is better. I upgraded to Bont Zero+ last year and they are $400+ and although many love them, they don’t fit me right and get uncomfortable after 90 minutes. I just bought a pair of Giro Empire SLX last month and although still high end $350, they are much lighter and way more comfortable than any shoe I have worn at 175g each.
So yes high end is worth it as long as you find the right ones
Quote Reply