Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exercising with seizure meds
Quote | Reply
About a moth ago I had a seizure and spent 2 days in ER. I was in a shit state, couldn't talk, was confused about my whereabouts, couldn't recognize everyday objects, words and letters didn't make any sense. Then I got out of this state and went home all right. MRI and CT scan didn't show any damage, while EEG showed decreased electrical activity in left frontal lobe but it normalized by discharge time.
There is no history of any of this in family and I am healthy in any other respect, so this was totally new and scary. The doc put me on Dilantin, 300mg once a day before going to bed. Since discharge, I have been feeling fine and riding my bike to work, about 30 min one way. I will be meeting the neurologist in few weeks.
Until then, what does the ST community thinks about SBR now and in the future? I am a good patient and not one of those with something to prove?
Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising with seizure meds [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you want to do and think as well as your family? What do the doctors say and is the right thing for you? Not something I would put to a Slowtwitch forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising with seizure meds [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am putting this to ST to see if others had similar experience or know somebody who had similar experience. I don't know at the moment what to do, that is why I am asking if anybody had similar experience, not to tell me what to do but what was/is their experience. I am far from being competitive any more, back of the pack in any athletic event. SBR now and then, when I have time. When discharged, doc told me to stay put but I will know more in few weeks when I'll meet the neurologist.
Meanwhile, if anybody has/had similar experience, I would be glad to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seizure in April 2016. Tumor right temporal lobe, craniotomy in May 2016. Abnormal EEG following surgery, Olympic Tri in October 2016. Several 70.3s since. Message me with questions. Not saying my way was right, but have some lessons learned. Sorry that your are going through this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No swimming in the interim, too risky.
In terms of simple things such as driving, it very much depends on the aetiology of the seizure. What have your doctors said whilst you await the neurology consult?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t it still 6 months no driving.

Personally I’d ride indoors and have some cushions around the bike just in case you have a seizure and fall off until you are cleared.

So no structural defects were seen. How about your sodium?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising with seizure meds [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
No swimming in the interim, too risky.
In terms of simple things such as driving, it very much depends on the aetiology of the seizure. What have your doctors said whilst you await the neurology consult?

Definitely no driving while on anti seizure meds. Limit booze to 1-2 glasses a week, at least 4 hrs before taking the meds.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising with seizure meds [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:
Isn’t it still 6 months no driving.

Personally I’d ride indoors and have some cushions around the bike just in case you have a seizure and fall off until you are cleared.

So no structural defects were seen. How about your sodium?

Sodium is ok. Biking is ok too, not fast training but commute to work, easy 25 min ride. My GP said that a recurrence is highly unlikely while on meds. Meds will be taken for 6-12 months, will know more after meeting with neurologist. Driving is off limits until further notice but it doesn't bother me as I don't need to drive.
Last edited by: softrun: Feb 1, 20 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2 seizures 16 years ago within 2 months of each other. We were on our 4th kid in 5 years and the docs think it was related to lack of sleep. I went through just about every test out there and couldn't find a good reason other than the lack of sleep.

After 6 months of no driving and less strenuous training I was given the go ahead to resume at full speed. I was concerned about swimming and he said your body is in a more relaxed state when swimming compared to other activities so he wasn't too worried. Obviously, no swimming without a lifeguard, but no restrictions.

I was on dilantin after the hospital. It's the oldest and go to drug when at the hospital. After a few months I could feel depression coming on and I was more tired than usual even after a good night's sleep. I switched to something else, I can't remember what, and that was a little better. I switched to lamictal/lamotrigine and I've been on that for about 14 years. I don't feel any side effects, but there are many drugs to try out if you're not feeling yourself. I asked about coming off the meds and it would take a slow decrease in meds, but it would also take another 6 months off of driving to make sure I'm ok w/o the meds before I could get approved to drive again. This was too much for me, so now I'm still taking meds just to protection.

I've done 5-6 sprint distances and a couple olympics each year since then. So going full gas has not been a problem.

Long story short, it can be done, but you need your doc to be in agreement with your plans. Most important is finding the right meds so you're feeling 100% yourself. Think baby steps and long term not what you want to do next week and next month. Make sure your family is on board too since they'll be going through this with you.

Good luck and post back if you have questions.
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising with seizure meds [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, much appreciated. I am on a dilantin too, 300mg, so sub therapeutic dose. I did feel depressed but only for few days after discharge. I think it could be related to the whole experience. Fingers crossed, I am feeling fine, back at work. I work in a hospital so if something happens I am in pretty good place :-). No side effects (yet) and I sleep well. But it could be stress related.
Many thanks for your post.
Quote Reply