Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Exercising in Chicago
Quote | Reply
The thread about when to wear tights when running made me think about the current weather in the Midwestern US right now.

I grew up in Indiana 60 miles south of Chicago. My sister still lives there and told me the temp this morning was -20 with a wind chill of about -50. The forecast high will be -12. It was even colder in Chicago.

So, what are all the people that live there doing for exercise? Indoor trainer? Local pool, or is it too cold to even risk driving to the pool? Or is everything closed anyway?

Or are you guys just "Midwestern Tough" and out there doing your 5 miles on the Shore Drive MUP and Mother-Nature can suck it :)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Massachusetts and deal with the cold a lot. Last week I couldn't get resistance on my trainer and had to quick an indoor basement workout because it was just too damn cold after 20 minuets. Of course that could have been because of what proved later to be a flat tire. Anyhow, there's circumstances that require us in unpredictable weather situations to be flexible on how I work out. Plan a) would be much ignored strength training or intervals on a treadmill in a well heated YMCA just a couple miles down the road. Or even concentrate on the pool. Plan b) if even that is too cold I would call it a couple rest days, get ahead on chores, make a little love down by the fire with my lady and come back hard later in the week when it's warm.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the Northeast as well, but I've never seen anything like what my sister is describing. I don't think they are even delivering mail out there. Some friends on facebook were talking about diesel fuel gelling. Even the additives they use to prevent if from happening don't have a change in this weather.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t imagine people going outside unless absolutely necessary. Get on trainer/treadmill at home if available or just do some pushups or some sort of body weight hiit/circuit workout. A few days is not capsizing one’s fitness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently live in Chicago (actually northern suburbs). Everything is pretty much closed and I'm working from home today. Initially I thought the news for blowing this out of proportion but I took the dog out this morning and the first 10 seconds felt okay but then my face started to hurt and turn numb. This cold is no joke.

I actually switched my rest days for this week. Today is a rest day and Friday I'll hit the pool. I have a run scheduled for tomorrow which I will do on the treadmill since it won't be much warmer. I can pretty much run in anything and I've run in temps as low as -5 (not including windchill) but these temps are dangerous and it's not worth frostbite or hyperthermia. Otherwise nothing is really different, at least for me. This time of year I do my bike workouts on the trainer and obviously I'll swim in the pool.

Fortunately this weekend it'll be in the 40s so I'm sure people will be out in shorts :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Madison, so about 120 miles northwest of Chicago.

Almost everything is inside this time of year anyways, including most long runs on the weekends, so for me it has been business as usual for bike/ run. It's been so cold this week they've been closing schools, which means the school pools are closed, which just means fewer options. Throw in some cancelled masters sessions in the morning due to cold, and the reduced pool access has been the most annoying part.

Other than that, it's really not that big of a deal. Did about 8 hours of training, all indoors, last week. Will do about 11 this week, all indoors. It's winter in wisconsin. I do get annoyed by the "treadmills are for the weak... look at my ice-beard" posts that seem to dominate my facebook thread right now. As a reminder, they don't give bonus points for running in miserably cold weather or for sliding around on icy sidewalks when trying to run a hard set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another training day. Layer up and cover up the head and face, then step outside and go. Be sure to run into the wind for the start, makes the return easier when you start sweating. Then drive to the pool for indoor swim. That's what I did in Chicago this am.

Ran something like 50 days in sub zero F weather outside in Twin Cities in 2014. Never did a workout on a treadmill. Those workouts were easier than the 100F+ degree run days in Phoenix when living there a few years ago. Followed there by a swim in the pool at 90F degrees. Those were shortened workouts, just too much body heat.

And almost as bad were the 90F+ degree and 90% humidity days, during the "Hot and Humid" season, while living in Bangkok for four years. Amazing how the body flexes with the weather.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother-in-law didn't go to work this morning because his boss did not want to risk their lives. Unlike where I live where it is house after house and you're never more than a few yards from a house, out there you leave town and drive through farm land with no houses in sight for miles. If you were to have a problem and could not run your car you could freeze to death before whoever you called on your cell phone could get to you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw online where Dick Beardsley, former world class marathoner did his usual run this morning in -61 wind chill. Tough guy! I also saw Starky was riding yesterday....not sure about today. Until today I've been walking the dog for 30-60 minutes late at night and while cold, layers make it fine. I'm a wimp, so after a -58 wind chill run years ago I seldom go out on days like this. I love indoor riding, and getting to be ok with t-mill. More than the cold though, I do not want to slip and fall as I've had the bruised hips, broken thumbs and wrists from falling on ice and it's just not worth it to me. That said, I DO NOT miss a workout.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jan 30, 19 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in madison, the only impact is...furnace runs more and pups do not want to walk outside or even go out longer than required by natures call. i have xc skied in these temps in past, but no longer do i do such silly things. since i am only cycling right now, november through march is all pretty much the same regardless of temp outside. was -26F when i arrived at work this am
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
in madison, the only impact is...furnace runs more and pups do not want to walk outside or even go out longer than required by natures call. i have xc skied in these temps in past, but no longer do i do such silly things. since i am only cycling right now, november through march is all pretty much the same regardless of temp outside. was -26F when i arrived at work this am

Yea, I'm in Madison too. Shocked at how much is closed. I have a fairly big dog with lots of fluff so she doesn't mind much but today I won't keep her out long, even though she wants to stay out. I'll make my way to the club and treadmill it and do weights with maybe a later ride. I like to sweat so I'll leave the outside to those others.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved inside when the temps got below 30.

Zwift, Masters swim and Treadmill/indoor track.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live 2,000 miles west of Chicago in California. I saw the weather report saying it would be -50 in Chicago and got so cold just thinking about what that must feel like so I decided to take the week off.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ice beard warriors kill me on social media. We get it, you’re a Viking... I grew up in Saskatchewan, so I know what day after day of 30 below feels like and worse. It doesn’t have to stop you from getting cold weather gear on and going outside, but on the other hand don’t expect to optimize performance.

The last time I checked, most of us aren’t doing triathlons in sub zero temps. I’ve come to the realization that I’ve not gained an edge by self induced suffering with the elements. I’d just rather knock out some quality on the treadmill, trainer or indoor pool. It’s better to be smart than tough.

MadTownTRI wrote:
I live in Madison, so about 120 miles northwest of Chicago.

Almost everything is inside this time of year anyways, including most long runs on the weekends, so for me it has been business as usual for bike/ run. It's been so cold this week they've been closing schools, which means the school pools are closed, which just means fewer options. Throw in some cancelled masters sessions in the morning due to cold, and the reduced pool access has been the most annoying part.

Other than that, it's really not that big of a deal. Did about 8 hours of training, all indoors, last week. Will do about 11 this week, all indoors. It's winter in wisconsin. I do get annoyed by the "treadmills are for the weak... look at my ice-beard" posts that seem to dominate my facebook thread right now. As a reminder, they don't give bonus points for running in miserably cold weather or for sliding around on icy sidewalks when trying to run a hard set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Rockford, which is just a little west of Chicago. I ride mostly indoors, even in the summer. I run outside almost daily though. I'm lucky to have a nice gym a few miles away and my work (U of IL Rockford) has a small, but nice gym. I have been able to hop on a treadmill at one of those two spots when the weather sucks.

This is the first time in history either one has been closed. Doors locked. I ran outside last night around 7p and it was 'only' -6 F with a windchill bouncing around about 30 lower. Just 30 some minutes around the block over and over. It was day 759 in a row running and the first time I genuinely thought I would quit.

It's another 20 degrees colder air temp and windchill right now each way. This is absolutely wild. 40 degrees this weekend will be shorts and T shirt weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 labs(50 & 55 lbs), they held their poor paws up as soon as duty was done even out in the snow. like statues have to offer treats to get them to move and come back in. poor babies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
2 labs(50 & 55 lbs), they held their poor paws up as soon as duty was done even out in the snow. like statues have to offer treats to get them to move and come back in. poor babies

Awww; I feel for them. Just took my 65lb Goldendoodle out and she romped in the snow. I'm lucky as she seems to enjoy the cold more than any dog I've had (other than the huskie mix). That said, we cut it a bit shorter than usual as she does not speak to me. ;-)

TrainerRoad will keep me busy inside, but with the sun it really didn't feel terrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

My two labs are 60 and 65 lbs. One is rolling around and doesn't seem to care. She keeps digging for nothing until she has a snow beard. The other is tripod-ing long enough to go potty and run back in. He's the smart one though.

Have you had any luck with dog boots? I have bought a few different sets and haven't found anything that doesn't strap across their dew claws. Too loose to stay on or so tight they cause pain. Nothing seems to work on their front paws.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
jeffp wrote:

My two labs are 60 and 65 lbs. One is rolling around and doesn't seem to care. She keeps digging for nothing until she has a snow beard. The other is tripod-ing long enough to go potty and run back in. He's the smart one though.

Have you had any luck with dog boots? I have bought a few different sets and haven't found anything that doesn't strap across their dew claws. Too loose to stay on or so tight they cause pain. Nothing seems to work on their front paws.

My GF looked into the boots. It seems that dogs have a lot more circulation in their pads and they are not needed. Sled dogs don't use them either. Just keep the time short. If mine lifts a paw, it is usually when first out. Once she runs into a snow bank it's done and she seems fine. I take the time to clear the ice from her pads when we get inside and she's good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IME they tend to walk goofy i the boots and the boots fall off and get lost in deep snow and at night you wont notice until its too late. My black lab looked like a prairie dog last saturday at -20 in backyard after, with both front paws up in air(she loves the snow, in general). choc gets to back door porch and when opened to let her in does not want to move to come in, have to grab poor girls collar to get her moving. will see how they do this afternoon when i get home. sun light may help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a resident of Madison WI, it's only hampered my recent winter training a little bit, which is mostly indoors already. Honestly, I don't mind being outside in these temps if I'm active, but the limiting factor is often my feet. I can layer everything else to keep warm, but I've never figured out how to have the right shoes and socks combo that keeps my feet comfortable (and not frostbit).

What I have been surprised by is the number of places closing shop during this freeze. Both my masters swim and my indoor cycling classes canceled this week due to the cold. Which really just means I found another pool that is open and will spin on my trainer in the basement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Chicago. I swam last night with my masters team as practice wasn't cancelled. I intend on riding on my trainer tonight as my gym is closed. Supposedly my masters team is practicing tomorrow night too.

Generally, I joined the masters swim team this year and have been doing that along with trainer rides and running outside or treadmill at the gym. I have accumulated quite a bit of cold weather gear so as long as the roads are clear and temp is above about 30 I will ride outside. I try to avoid the trainer at all costs because it really sucks the fun out of it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tanzbodeli wrote:
I can layer everything else to keep warm, but I've never figured out how to have the right shoes and socks combo that keeps my feet comfortable (and not frostbit).

When my dad was in the army, the saying was... if your feet are cold put on a hat.

I ran for 30 minutes (outside) this morning (-20). Absolutely no exposed skin (with ski goggles) and it wasn't bad at all - although it was a one-way run and the wind was generally at my back.

I wore regular running shoes (1/2 size bigger for winter running) with thin polypro sock liners and medium thick wool socks. No problem with cold feet.

It's easy to stay warm while running; biking, forget about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I biked to work this morning and I live in Minneapolis. The actual temp was -28F when I left the house and there was a stiff wind. The windchill is negative 50 today.

My appendages were all warm, but I had trouble keeping my goggles free of fog. Normally at zero degrees I'm fine with this setup but today was another level.

I wore Lake MX33 fatbiking boots and two pairs of merino wool socks. Glove liners underneath black diamond soloist finger mitts. Three pairs of tights, two baselayers, a wool LS shirt and a gore windproof cycling jacket.

Nov-March I'm on zwift 5x/week, two runs a week (outdoors) and three swims.

I wear regular socks during the winter and never have trouble keeping my feet warm when running. Xc skiing is harder to keep the feet warm but I wear fewer clothes skiing.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercising in Chicago [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Western Michigan. -25 today, but we have gotten 20+ inches of snow since Sunday night and still coming.

Did a run outside for 7 mile run 2 weeks ago when it was -5. Took me an 1:20 in all the snow. Totally pissed off my mother and wife. I countered by telling them if they did not want me to run outside they should not have bought me all the winter gear for Christmas and birthdays to do so.

I haven't swam in 2 weeks because I swim at the local high school and when school is closed the pool is closed. The 2 days the pool was open they had meets.

I don't mind the cold if the running surface is solid, but when the running surface stinks I tend to stay inside. It isn't worth a rolled ankle. Spend some extra time on Zwift and TR.
Quote Reply

Prev Next