Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Everything I need for a 2nd Zwift set up in basement (2 riders at once)??
Quote | Reply
I have had a Zwift set up in place for myself for a year - dumb trainer, powertap G3, ant+ dongle, Garmin 500 with HR strap, stand alone big screen monitor.

Now want to add another similar one in the same room (basement) for my gf so she can kick my ass.

She has an older 9spd road bike and MacBookAir to which she'll download Zwift, and a droid phone where she'd use the Zwift Companion.

I have a G3 Powertap wheel (10spd hub, which I understand works with 9spd cassettes) she'll use.

We'll be riding side by side, a few feet apart.

Current planning to add the following as her complete set up. Haven't bought yet, so I welcome advice/ thoughts on alternatives, or, offers to sell me any of the pieces (cheap :-).
  • Cycleops Fluid2 (dumb)
  • Garmin Edge 520 (planning to go with no speed or cadence bundle, that data is provided by the G3, along with power/watts)

• anything better, cheaper????
  • Garmin compatible HR strap
  • riser block (or just books or actual wood blocks)
  • ant+ dongle to usb in on the Mac, dongle receiver will rest on the floor under her bike
  • 2nd monitor (via usb out on the Mac to an HDMI in on the monitor)

Any reason this won't work?
Am I missing anything or overlooking any issues? Possible device pairing conflicts? HR strap cross play?

Thanks

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Everything I need for a 2nd Zwift set up in basement (2 riders at once)?? [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should work fine. My better half and I do this, and I've found typically it's easier if one person gets past the pairing screen on Zwift before the other person wakes up any of their equipment. It's rare, but some times my trainer wants to pair with her dongle or my heart rate monitor might show up on her screen. But otherwise, it works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Everything I need for a 2nd Zwift set up in basement (2 riders at once)?? [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have dual zwifts. Comment above is right in that 99% of the time then you're fine with pairing as it remembers how you last set it. However, twice we've ended up with one of our resistances being controlled by the other machine which is both frustrating and oddly hard to pin down what's happening at the time.

So we have:-
2 x Neo smart trainers
2 x bikes (actually many, mix of 9,10 and 11 speed, some wth quarq powermeters, some not)
2 x off lease mini desktop pcs (nz$99 each) with basic NZ$100 3D card NZ$99
2 x off lease 22" monitors
1 x 32 inch very basic TV (connected to both PCs)
2 x zwift memberships
2 x ant+ dongles
2 x usb extension cable
8 x powerboard.
2 x fan
2 x RF mouse (so that you can control when sat on the bikes out of reach of the keyboard)
2 x sweat covers for the bikes (you'll need these or be buying a lot of headsets)
2 x towels
Water bottles.

Now some of those things you can do without. The TV we use to watch Netflicks stuff, and having the two PCs means that we don't get confused as to what episode of series we're both up to. Just change the AV Input on the TV to swap depending on who is using it. Equally bellieve that you can now use bluetooth instead of the ANT dongle, but seeing as we've got them I can't see any reason to change.

We both have other devices that could have run zwift, but the dedicated setups just makes it so much easier and crtically quicker to get set up to do a session at 5am. So less excuses for missed sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinmeister wrote:
  • Garmin Edge 520 (planning to go with no speed or cadence bundle, that data is provided by the G3, along with power/watts)

• anything better, cheaper????

You don't need this for Zwift connectivity at all. Is there a reason you feel you need this, other than for when she is riding outdoors?

Travis Rassat
    Vector Cycle Works
    Noblesville, IN
    BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
    Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Before you set hers up, write down the Ant+ IDs for all of your devices...PT wheel and HR sensor, any others?

That will make it easier when you go to add her in next to you. As far as I know, Zwift doesn't allow you to name devices, like Garmin head units, so you'll need to be able to recognize your ANT+ id and select it when your Zwift gets creative and picks hers up. It is a super quick check when you boot up in the Devices screen.

I ride next to a buddy a lot. We are both on smart trainers with additional power meters and heart rate straps. Then, add in the multitude of cadence signals coming from various sources. It is an ANT+ signal mess, but in practice, never any issues as long as I do a quick check on bootup.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Everything I need for a 2nd Zwift set up in basement (2 riders at once)?? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    jeremyscarroll wrote:
    It should work fine. My better half and I do this, and I've found typically it's easier if one person gets past the pairing screen on Zwift before the other person wakes up any of their equipment. It's rare, but some times my trainer wants to pair with her dongle or my heart rate monitor might show up on her screen. But otherwise, it works well.

This ^ My wife and I have the same setup, and I always let her pair up first (her iPad is more flaky than mine for some reason). They seem to mostly remember the devices that connect to them, so it's rarely an issue. We watch movies on the 32" TV centered on the wall between our trainers.

- John
    "Have courage, and be kind."
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Skip the Garmin, use an old iPhone running Zwift Companion. Second screen gives you all the metrics from the PT somehow.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply

This is my setup. Television monitor for one rider - zwift running off an iphone with ant+ dongle and transmitting to apple tv. Rider two uses an ipad air 2 on a stand with an ant+ dongle. Like one of the readers suggested write down all of the sensors id’s so you don’t get them crossed up. Both trainers are smart, a kickr core and my rollers are smart insideride rollers which also works great.

Quote Reply
    Re: Everything I need for a 2nd Zwift set up in basement (2 riders at once)?? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Yeah, it would be for riding outside, and I suppose any instances when she is inside but not zwifting.

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Good tips, all. Thanks. Glad to hear this can work.

Thanks to those who shared pics. More general zwift cave images here: https://forums.zwift.com/...t-pain-cave/13780/49

Quote Reply