Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Everybody shoulda seen this coming
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The craziest thing is, we're closer now and better friends than ever before. We're truly committed to maintaining a good relationship, but not a marriage."

I don't understand why they have to divorce then.
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's sad but it happens. Been there myself. But it must be even tougher when your life is so public. Like it or not, you're still bound to your ex when there are kids involved. Let's hope that they can keep lawyer involvement to a minimum and maintain a good relationship with each other and their kids as divorced parents.
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to go through this unfortunate and tough process to fully understand and appreciate what Lance means when he says that.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's sad but it happens. Been there myself. But it must be even tougher when your life is so public. Like it or not, you're still bound to your ex when there are kids involved. Let's hope that they can keep lawyer involvement to a minimum and maintain a good relationship with each other and their kids as divorced parents.

I have to agree with this 100%, it is sad but it does happen all too frequently, and having been there, done that myself, I just hope that the two of them can always remember that they need to take care of the kids first and foremost. Even though they will no longer be married they will always be bound together through the children.

I just wish that this didn't have to be a public spectacle. Even though Lance is a public figure at some times public figures should be given a little bit of privacy and instances like this are one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course if one were a cynic (and I tend to be) one might think knowing Lance's single mindedness (selfish, self centered mama's boy comes to mind, but that's inflammatory)that he reconciled just long enough so that there would be no distractions on his drive for five. His wife would then be his best domestic. But that is only if one is a cynic.
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also on the cynical side; who care's who he's married too or not married too? All I'm interested in is watching him kicking the crap out of everyone on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, if one were a cynic, one might say that she stayed with him just long enough for him to win another tour, and another big pile of $$, so she could milk him for all (or at least half) he's worth. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance chose to make his marriage a public show by writing about it at some length in his book. Now that he has created an interest in this topic among his fans and the public at large it should be no surprise that people now would be interested in the next chapter of the saga. I'm not a fan of celebrity gossip and their personal lives, but they can't write books about their personal lives and then, when things go awry, expect people to not want to know about that, too.
Last edited by: danielito: Sep 4, 03 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lance chose to make his marriage a public show by writing about it at some length in his book.

You are right about that, he did choose make his marriage public by writing about it in his book. As someone who has had to deal with the affect of divorce on children I don't think any divorce needs to be publicized, especially when there are children involved since they are ultimately the ones who get hurt.

Anyway, I guess its kind of like seeing a car wreck, everyone wants to take a look even though there is nothing they can do about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"one might think ...that he reconciled just long enough so that there would be no distractions on his drive for five."

I think you're right, but let's have a larger perspective. Kristin has been with Lance since before he started winning the Tour, so she's (justifiably) entitled to a good chunk of his earnings. Those earnings are a lot bigger now, both because of the endorsements that he got during the Tour, and because of hte endorsements he'll get for the rest of his life as a Five(or Six...or perhaps Seven!!!) Time Tour de France winner.

That is good for both them and the children, as it should have them all floating in more cash than a trailer park full of lottery winners could spend in a lifetime.(I think it was Chris Rock who once said, "Mmmm, MmmPH! I gotta get me some of that diamond bread!")

Also, the comments about him discussing his relationship in the book are on the money. A lot of the people I talk to on the train who have no interest in cycling were telling me about Lance's marital problems long before now. They all read the book, and when stories started coming out in June, the ladies that I ride the train with were all over it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Or, if one were a cynic, one might say that she stayed with him just long enough for him to win another tour, and another big pile of $$, so she could milk him for all (or at least half) he's worth. ;-)

Would like to stay out of this, but I think the above is way too harsh, given that Kristin fell in love with Lance when she was a self-sufficient professional and he had essentially zero prospects for any future, period. And I'm not talking financial future here (though Cofidis had already removed that as well). Not exactly prime "golddigger" bait.

I wish them both well. Can't imagine -- admirable as he is in other ways -- that Lance is an easy guy for a strong-willed, independent woman to be married to.
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [paul m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going to have to with hold judgement on this one. staring down the barel of divorce myself i can't really judge on this one.

everyones marraige is stressed diffrently and the way things turn out are always diffrent then what we hope.

i have went from a hot headed, type A, go getter to a lost loser. my wife always complained about my big head and always being gone. now that i am humble and always around she sees me different. i guess kristin is going through the same thing what she wanted him to be didn't pan out so she feels she has to move on.

good luck to both of them.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [alpdhuez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Can't imagine -- admirable as he is in other ways -- that Lance is an easy guy for a strong-willed, independent woman to be married to.<<

Woo, I think you hit it on the head. And, add to the mix a woman who really had no clue about the lifestyle of a dedicated, pro athlete.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, then why didn't she keep up with it for another 2 years? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Everybody shoulda seen this coming [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She, like J Lo, must have had 'enough.' ;-)
Quote Reply