Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh
Quote | Reply
Just a quick little forum topic.

Anyone ever drop their key to their car or house (with no other way back in) while out on a run? I had a hole in my pocket and the key went through it nearly 1/2 way into the run. Only option at the time was to lower the pace a LOT and backtrack. I found it.

I'm a bike dude, not runner. Running a total of nearly a 1/2 marathon was NOT in the agenda this week whatsoever. So, I will NEVER run again without stealing the wife's Nathan belt with a zipper pocket.

Sadface....
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who bothers to lock their doors when they go workout?

They make hide a rocks, just stash it in your yard somewhere, put it on a tire or in the roof rails or something. If you don't bring it you can't lose it!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost a whole bunch of keys (car, house doors, bike locks...) down a drain when I was chased some shiiits who'd tried breaking into the house one night.
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dropped my car key on a snowy run miles from my house. Husband too busy at work to pick me up, the person running a rural bar gave me a lift home to get another one and drove me back to my car. Ironically, I found it on the side of the road in the Spring and it still worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had exactly this happen to me twice now. Both times I did notice/hear even though I run with music. What I do these days is I put the small key for my mailbox in a glove. If it's too warm I have a lanyard I can use, I have running pants I am sure don't have a hole, or I put the key in something a bit bigger so it won't just fall out (and I'd definitely notice).

I can't leave a key outside because there's a thing like apartment buildings and while we used to have entry via a code, that was deemed unsafe (the real unsafe thing is buzzing people in you don't know which still happens anyway).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loop my key onto the headphone wire. So then the only way for my key to fall out / through pocket is if my MP3/Radio falls out and the sound would go meaning I'd know where to stop.

I also leave the main car key in the car, and run with a 'blank' dumb key, that only unlocks the door, not one with the imobiliser electronics to start the car, so worst case I'd need to pop a window.

As mentioned, from home then the door stays unlocked or the key is somewhere away from the front door on the property. I live rural, so if someone is going to break in, they are just going to kick the door in anyway and the alarm will go off. Doesn't matter if they do it causing $2000 of damage to the door/frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This car doesn't have a dumb key copy, or I'd do the stash method so it is just a "pop a lock" deal.

I guess I'll be getting one now!

Lesson learned the hard way. I've always assumed thieves know to look at the tires or areas for the key or a "fake rock", so never did that. That car is paid for and would hate for an insurance person to be like "too bad".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove half an hour to a trail, ran for 20k, came back to the car and no longer had my car key in my pocket. Luckily another trail user was going the same way and drove me home. It was a lease and when i traded in the car they charged me $150 for a missing key.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave the side door to my house unlocked when I go out for a run.

I also have a key hidden in a sprinklerhead in the backyard just in case one of the kids locks me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
This car doesn't have a dumb key copy, or I'd do the stash method so it is just a "pop a lock" deal.

I guess I'll be getting one now!

It was about $15 for the dumb copy. I also have a combination key safe that goes around the tow hook for when I'm kitesurfing.

Clearly it advertises that the key is in there, but if the car is parked somewhere with any degree of passive surveillance your fine. I'm guessing someone would call the police if they saw a person going at the keysafe with an angle grinder.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't...yet, but have turned into a bit of a freak checking for my car key on runs. I'll run my hands over my key pocket a dozen times in a 90-minute run! I probably should just get a magnetic hide-a-key to stash it underneath, but then I'd be making myself crazy during the run that someone probably saw me put it there and drive off with my van as soon as I'm out of site. There's help for this, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a full size hitch on my CRV with a huge bike rack. It's got a security bolt/nut on it and a cable you could tow a ship with. I think I could actually probably replace the allen bolt holding the end cap on the bike rack with a thumb screw, the little plastic cover that keeps rain out......and keep it in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Key Lock Box, Wall Mounted Key Safe Box, Weatherproof 4 Digit Combination Key Storage Lock Box, 5 Keys Capacity with Removable Shackle for Indoor Outdoor, Small Size 3.66inch | Wish

(Actually, the bigger version. I loop to the tow rope lug, not my tow bar which is removable, and hence defeats the purpose..., others hoop through car door handle, roofrack, suspension arm, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep,

On a downhill 1/2 marathon...somewhere.
I positively split the second 1/2 Marathon retracing my steps all the way back to the start.
Didn't find it. Holiday weekend, so I had to crash with some friends of mine.

At the beach when going for an open water swim at a somewhat remote location.
I locked my keys, wallet and phone in the car. Luckily had workout clothes on and was in running shoes.....Figured I might as well get a workout out of it.
Hid my wetsuit and other gear in some reeds and jogged a 13miler home to get keys and bike. It was a hot long slog, luckily there was a gas station with water...

Those key lock boxes with rotary dial combination locks are so easy to open....takes 10-20 secs.
The local surfers here lost quite a bit of gear and even several cars this way.

I now stash my keys, fob or phone somewhere in nature, making sure nobody watches me doing it.

So far so good.
Last edited by: nevertoolate: Feb 4, 21 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid, my mom put a spare house key on a shoe lace, and I wore it around my neck. I've never stoped this habit. As an adult, I have always had a spare house and car key, on a shoe lace, around my neck. Even now, I have a dumb car key, and house key, on a shoe lace on my neck. They are there when I train, and there when I race. 60 years, knock on wood... I've never been locked out of my house or car. I can't count the many times this habit has saved my ass.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
I can't leave a key outside because there's a thing like apartment buildings and while we used to have entry via a code, that was deemed unsafe (the real unsafe thing is buzzing people in you don't know which still happens anyway).

Same here, at the very least I need to carry the key to the gate.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We installed a keypad lock for this very reason. Just remember the code! Plus, I mean, why would you even want to bother with the added weight of carrying a key in the first place?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at the Strava for the actual workout before the “key hunt” trot. It was an omen. 6.66 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The day a skunk helped me to find my key...

My key fell through a small hole in my running belt. I heard a metal clink, but assumed I just kicked up some metal. I barely noticed, but almost immediately afterwards I saw a skunk.

When I got home and realized the key was missing, I just ran back to where I saw the skunk and managed to find the key. If it hadn't been for the skunk I wouldn't have paid any attention to where it happened!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to take the valet key with me on runs and just hold it. I would put the metal loop through one of my fingers to ensure that I wouldn’t lose it. One day after returning, I left it on top of my car and drove off. It slid off once I hit the freeway and I glanced in my rear view mirror just in time to see it bouncing down the pavement. About a week later, I was stuck in traffic near the same area and spotted it out of of the corner of my eye. I was able to pull over and retrieve it from the shoulder which wouldn’t have been possible during any other time of day. It looked like it had seen better days but still worked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not about running, but a funny story:

A few years ago was doing laundry in my apartment building with a shared laundry room. Took the clothes down, started the washer, and went back up to the apartment only to realize that I had forgotten by key... and the knob had locked. Sudden feeling of anxiety at being locked out of my apartment. Was just about to call the building engineer to come and bail me out, ready to fork over my $25 locked-out fee, and resigning myself to have to deal with his distain at having been called out on a Saturday. I had the random, last ditch idea to try something I'd only seen in cartoons. I took out my ID and slid it into the door frame. Dude. It fucking worked. The door popped open and I was in. Commence waves of relief. Since then I always make sure to have my key, and I always make sure to lock the deadbolt at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My car key. In a porta potty at a race 4 hours away from home. Uugh

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was trail “running “ with some friends, and the friend whose car we locked all of our stuff in dropped her key, didn’t realize it, would have been really bad if some stranger hadn’t picked it up and when he caught up to us asked if anyone in our group drove a ___ car. Lo and behold it was our friend’s key and she didn’t even know it was missing.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ever dropped your key on a run? Geeesh [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Just stash the key in the ignition if I'm working out from a trailhead, or if I'm feeling cautious I'll toss the whole bundle in the truck bed. Running from home, either leave the front door open or go through the garage. Carrying keys while exercising sounds exhausting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a small fabric pocket just big enough to hold a full sized key. It clips on shoelaces. It is made by Nike but I am sure there are other similar ones from other companies.
Quote Reply

Prev Next