Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Event Costs
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about the cost of participating in a triathlon (sprint, olympic, or IM) in various parts of the country. What are you guys paying for registration fees, and where are you?
Quote Reply
Re: Event Costs [goditshothere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NorCal races

Sprint: $35 (non-USAT sanctioned) and $40

Oly: $80 to $120 (depending on RD)

Half IM: $150

IM: $250 (Vineman); $400 (CaliMan)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Canada, in Ontario the following seems to apply( all prices in Canadian $):

Sprint/Olympic = $35 - $50

1/2 Ironman = $75 - $100

IMC = $500

Now that I have this out in front of me, the 1/2 IM races seem like a real bargin.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Event Costs [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that this should come up as event costs have begun to affect what races I decide to do. It has become frighteningly common for RD's to raise the cost of popular/historical events beyond what I am willing to pay. However, more races have been added to the local schedule over the last two years and I am hoping that this will curb the increase in prices. This is for Houston and Texas on the whole.

Sprint $35-$50

Olympic $45-$110

Half-IM $90-$175 (mostly dependent on how early you sign-up)

Next year will be the first for an IM distance race in Texas, prices have not been posted yet.

As it stands, a sprint race that I have done for the past 4 years, I will not be doing this year as it is $50 for a race that will take less than an hour. Earlier this year, I chose to skip (not sign up for) an Olympic distance race that was in its second year and has a bike course that I feel is not safe; the fee was raised to $80 this year. I did not sign up for Lake Placid for 2004 (or any other IMNA event) as I feel that $400 is a little too much to ask. I had a blast at Lake Placid this year, but there were certain small things that I didn't feel were taken care of to my taste, so I have opted to spend my money elsewhere next year. The customers ultimately set the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in south Georgia, and we typically pay $35-60 for sprints, not sure about Oly distances as I haven't done one in over a year, but I would say it's about $80 if my memory serves me correctly. Half IM's are about $90-150, depending upon when you sign up. Not sure about the Iron distance stuff -- haven't done one yet.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Event Costs [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Glad to have a response from someone in Houston since that's where I'm at too. I'm trying to get into triathlon (I have yet to do a race), but like you, cost of events is going to be a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out www.runtex.com/jgt for a cool sprint race in New Braunfels, TX. And yeah, I'd like to see it do well since I'm helping out the Race Director. He's directing his first race solo.

If the IM distance is put on by the Tall Texan guys, I'd be leary of participating in it as a 1st year race.

In an answer to the first question. Texas races are usually in the $50 range from sprint to Olympic. There are a couple of higher ones--Capital of Texas is $80-90 for an Olympic distance through downtown Austin, and Buffalo Springs is ~$175 for a 1/2 Ironman that is really well run, but out in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, River Cities triathlon is a sprint with an $80 entry fee that filled up in 1.5 days, mostly because of the packet. There is a 1/2 this weekend, Degray Lake in Arkansas, that is the pro national championship and it is about $80.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No wonder your sig is goditshothere, it has been miserable over the past 6 weeks. The guys at out-loud productions are putting on some good races. They are the ones responsible for the Ironstar half-im in October and I will probably participate in that race. A lot of local races are starting to pop up and that can only be good for us, there used to not be but a handful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to save up the cash for bike, and hopefully will compete in my first triathlon next year. Right now I'm just training for the Houston Marathon in January. It's been so hot I've been running at 5:30 AM. Thanks for all the race info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southern Cal

Sprints $90

Oly's $125

1/2's $199

Full Don't know yet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rising costs in Oz are becoming an issue. I'll try to convert into US$ but figures will be approximates.

Club Races (my local club) $5 (sprint)

OD $25 - $40 (not many of these left on the calendar)

HIM - $150

IM - $350

IMOZ has reached it's limit at 1500 competitors, getting in is becoming harder, M30-34 have to be under about 4.55 to get in at most qualifying HIM's.

Kona qualification for the same age group at IMOZ - under about 9.45.

When you add accommodation costs and transport, it is becoming a sport for the well off.

I guess average incomes are different down here so it is probably hard to compare what those costs means.

What I do know is that your dollar works very well here so maybe if your costs continue to rise you may want to consider coming down under for a race and a holiday - I'll fire up the barby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Area between Mobile, AL and Panama City Beach, FL

Sprint: $30-$65
Oly: none in the area
Half: not sure what Gulf Coast was
IMFL:$400
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not in the US but it could be interesting to compare to other countries. In Switzerland registration fees are:

Sprint: CHF 30-50 (U$ 21-35)
Olympic: CHF 50 - 75 (U$ 35-55)
MD Locarno: CHF 100.- (U$ 72)
IM Switzerland: CHF 490.- (U$ 350)

IM cost in Europe about 330-350 Euro. But Quelle Challenge Roth cost 195 Euro (U$ 225) if you register befor Dec 31st. Quite a bargain for a very good IM distance race. It gives you the same (expect the Kona slots) for a much better price.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the Boston area(MA, NH, etc):

Sprint: 40-55 (50 normal)*

Oly/Int'l: 50-70

Half: 100

Iron: We ain't got none o' them.(IMUSA is the closest one)

*Disclaimer: If you're the Monster Challenge, then you charge $100 for a race advertised as an Oly, but which is only a Sprint if you aren't a Pro. And the money goes to an organization which is supposed to be charitable, but is actually political.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live in Ireland, prices here are fairly low.

Sprint 20-30Euro ($18-$27)

Olympic 25-35Euro ($22-$32)

HI 75Euro ($68)

The number of entrants is usually about 200, which makes for good racing. All races usually start with one wave, which makes for better racing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM in TX? [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Next year will be the first for an IM distance race in Texas, prices have not been posted yet. "

What race is that?
Quote Reply
Re: IM in TX? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bitton's bikes, the folks that put on the Tall Texan, are putting it on. It's slated for Oct next year and could be a fairly difficult course. More info to be posted on the website.

http://www.brittonbikes.com/...iron-tx-mainpage.htm

M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is interesting to see or even speculate where we are in the business cycle on this. Not to log ago, I think that events generally tried to keep prices down because the goal was to attract as many people as they could. Obviously, for many events now this is not the case. Many events are near capacity or are sold-out. The good news is that in many areas there is competition, in the form of smaller less grand, events to the established ones. What will happend over the courese of the next few years?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply