Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evalutate my needs?
Quote | Reply
Basic question: where is my money best spent?

Background info: I'm 6'2", 180lbs, 25 years old. I have a background in swimming, but I just started swimming, running and cycling 3 months ago because of my interest in starting triathlon. From strongest to weakest - swimming, cycling, then running, as confirmed in my last tri (Catalina) where my ranks were 153, 235, 448; I finished 267 overall out of 800 or so. I currently train about 12hrs a week, 2/4/4 is my frequency of workouts for S/B/R. I signed up to do the Ralph's 1/2 IM in April, I've only done 2 sprints prior.

So these are the purchases I'm considering, I'd appreciate your feedback.

1) New tri wetsuit. I currently use an O'Neil surfing wetsuit...it's in great shape, but I wonder if my swimming would greatly improve with a new suit. My biggest grip about my old is that it restricts my stroke making my arms really tired.

2) Aero bars. I only have a road bike, Cannondale R1000. Considering big slam bars. I don't know the course...is it flat enough to justify the weight?

3) Getting fit at bicyclesports in SD. This costs $200, and I wonder how much this is necessary. I got fit at Helens in SM when I bought my bike, and ride comfortably about 180mi/wk. Will I see much difference?

4) Wheel cover for rear. Make much difference? Do I need a tri spoke in the front more? My current wheels are mavic kysium elites.

5) Pose running. Running is my far my weakest, but I'm working the hardest at it. I know this one's a litte controversial, but maybe I need to learn how to run? I've literally never ran in my life, I wonder how well I do on my own.

Well, these are the one's I've come up with. Any feedback at all would be appreciated. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Evalutate my needs? [Renault78law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my take:

1) Definitely buy a tri wetsuit. Surfing wetsuits aren't designed for swimming so they don't have the same amount of shoulder flexibility. You'll notice a big difference in shoulder fatigue with a tri wetsuit.

2) Definitely buy aero bars. This is the single biggest improvement you can make to your bike. You will be much more comfortable (assuming they are fit correctly- see below) and aero, and this more than offset's the additional weight.

3) Definitely get fitted on your bike. Especially if you are adding clip-on aero bars to a road bike you want to make sure that you put on bars that fit correctly and will be comfortable to ride. In my mind this goes hand-in-hand with adding aero bars.

4) I wouldn't bother with this right away. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket you might save a few minutes with race wheels or wheel covers, but I'd focus on the above items first.

5) Pose running- don't know anything about it, but my take is that the biggest running improvements will come from increasing your cyling endurance (see Gordo's thoughts on this at www.byrn.org). Spending as much time as you can on your bike will mean that you'll get off the bike with more in reserve, and thus be able to run faster. Unless you have very poor biomechanics or have gotten to the point that cycling and running endurance are no longer limiters, I wouldn't focus too much on running technique.

Good luck at Ralph's!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tri wetsuit is also bouyant and makes swimming easier, big difference to a surfing wetsuit. O'Neill makes a great tri wetsuit are a fairly reasonable in price, more so than QR, IM, Orca and the others.

If Helen's did your original fit, you should be OK. Save the $200 or look for a cheaper fit, that sounds expensive. Call around to B&L, John Cobbs bicycle sport and Nytro. SD has great tri resources, I would look at those shops for advice on most matters, like the aero bars and wheel covers.

From the sounds of it I would not worry about the fine details and concentrate on getting your run training going and not getting injured. Ralphs is a surprisingly hilly bike course that will take it out of your legs. The run is flat, so get out there and get the training going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll leave the other items to other posters, and address your running.

IMHO, running takes time to learn, as does cycling. If you are already a proficient swimmer, you are way ahead of many people. I've been swimming for almost 2 years and I'm lucky to be MOP. You say that you have only been running and cycling for 3 months. Give your body a chance to adapt. Don't overdo it. Without knowing your current level of fitness, I'd say you may be pushing yourself too hard if you are already up to 12 hours a week. It took me over a year to get to the point where I could run and ride 4 times each per week, and even then, I would always be fatigued or in pain.

I guess that what I am suggesting is that you put together a sensible training plan that focuses on building a sufficient base for you to complete Ralph's, and allow your body the time it needs to adapt to the stress of endurance training. Your top third finish is pretty good considering your experience.

I have found that after 3 years of running, my form continues to improve. I overpronate less than I used to and my easy pace keeps creeping down, particularly on the rare occasions that my legs are fresh.

This is simply my opinion, based on my experience, and knowing nothing about your fitness history.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Yes. Get a tri suit. Surf or scuba suits are not made for swimming.

2) Yes. Get Profile Jammer GT's or another equivalent shortbar designed for a road bike geometry. I like them but found small size Syntace C2's even more comfy.

3) Maybe. This will upset a lot of people but IMO you're always your own best bike fitter if you research, study and experiment. This does take a lot of time and research so is not for everybody, but if you are so inclined it can be done. Bike fit isn't rocket science and my wife and a friend both paid $$ for a pro bike fit which I had to redo for them. Obviously not all pro bike fitters are equal, but if these guys in SD are part of Cobb's group, one would expect they would know what they're doing. It's a bit harder to set up a tri bike than a road bike so you might be able to avoid this cost since you are on a road bike. Setting up a road bike is explained here quite well here http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/ If you wish to get more advanced with your road bike investigate the "big slam" position and see if it works for you. Or alternatively you could get a neutral or mildly forward seat post to ride at a 75/76 degree angle. Or if you're still not sure then paying the $200. for a bike fit is money well spent.

4) Yes. CH Aero covers cost $59. and have been tested in a wind tunnel to be equal to anything else. A disc is a disc is a disc as far as aerodynamics are concerned so it's up to you how much you want to spend. The covers should be used with a box rim and the outer circuference seal should be snug. Run a bead of black electric tape around the circumference just to be sure. A really good front aero wheel uneffected by wind is a Campy Shamal which can be purchased on ebay for under $100. For around $200. you can get a Specialized tri spoke which is essentially the same as a Hed. A disc and tri spoke front are the fastest wheel combo and doing it for around $250. is bang or the buck.

5) Dunno.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add my $0.02: if you haven't spent a lot of time running, you need to spend time getting in the miles. That mileage will tell your body to adapt muscle fibers, grow capillaries, strengthen tendons, build up your lymph system to remove waste from those mucles, etc etc. There are a number of running specific adaptations that your body makes as you get miles under your belt. It takes months, years to develop those adaptations, so don't rush it. But a consistent, realistic training program will amaze you with how fast you become a good runner.

Where to spend your money on running: SHOES. Make damn sure you have the right shoes for your feet. Spend lots of time in a running store where real runners work. They will watch you run and will recommend the right shoes for your feet & body type. Next cold & wet weather clothing if you need it -- no excuses not to train. Get a book on running basics so you can have a reference for all those nagging questions. The Beginning Runners handbook by Shelly and Bob Glover is a good one. If you want a book on running technique, get "Explosive Running" by Yessis.

Someone else said that your speed from running comes from being a stronger cyclist (in triathlon). I agree somewhat. If you're a strong cyclist you'll use cycling specific muscles more and recruit your running muscles less while you ride, so you'll have some undamaged fibers left when you get off the bike. But the best way to turn in a good time on the run split is to be a strong runner. If you're a strong runner then you'll have enough left in your legs to go 13.1 miles after your legs are mostly burnt from the ride.

Last: keep up the swimming. If nothing else, it's a great way to recover and re-energize after you struggle with the sports you're less comfortable in.

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wet suit and tri bars and wheel cover for sure. I'm no fan of any bike setup gizmo. Of all the factors, seat height is the most important of all and that's easy info to find. If all the pro's rode in one postition and that one postition was an absolute to win, then I'd do it. As it is everyone rides all over the map and doesn't seem to matter much. Feel to crunched up, lenghthen things. Too stretched out do the opposite. Ass long as their is debate on how to setup, it's what makes you feel best, and the time clock doesn't lie. Lance Armstrong cant even figure out that he's sitting to high and Ullrich is too low--just using that to show how two different setups result in top perfomances. I'd save that money for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Yes, many choices

2. Yes, many choices

3. Agree with cerveloguy here

4. Yes, K's are not terribly aero from what I've read.

5. I believe that most (i.e. just about all) people should work with their natural stride/footstrike and should only change in rare circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should definately go see Dave Bunce at Bicycle Sports Encinitas.

Will it make a difference you ask?

Read: http://www.timetrial.org/systemone.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Evalutate my needs? [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, you guys are great...Where should I spend my money? Yes.

Thank you for all your replies. Very insightful and you've given me much to think about - in particular, how I'm gonna come up with all that money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, don't spend any money on anything. Seriously.

Ok, one thing. If your running is the weakest part of your triathlon I would recommend you find some way to keep track of your cadence during your running.

You can count while referencing a watch. That's the hard way, but I'll bet you've already got a watch. And it may be hard but it is close enough.

You can get a small electronic metronome and carry it while running. That's easier than counting. You just make your feet land every time the metronome beeps.

If you have an mp3 player I do have mp3's of drum beats you can load up and play at varioius points during your run.

So far, pretty cheap.

Why is cadence important? Virtually everything that POSE teaches will also be learned while paying attention to -- and increasing -- your cadence. You will run lighter with less fatigue and injury. You will more quickly be able to put in more miles. And more miles means better running.

Oh yeah. Try to get your right foot landing as close to 90 times a minute as you can. That's awful fast (well, it's awful fast for me).

My 2 cents -- but that's all it's gonna cost you. The rest if for people with too much disposable income. Have fun passing them all at Ralph's!

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding Pose: If you are currently running without pain and you feel good the morning after running then the pose may not be for you. On the other hand, if you find that you are extremely sore then in my opinion the pose would be worth a try. I dont think it will make you faster but it may lead to more comfort, which in turn means more miles training which may lead to faster times.

Also, remember to run with a hr monitor. Its like have a training partner and coach with you. There are many sites which can explain how to use the hr for training.

-Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I evalutate your needs as

1. The love of a sexy asian chick.

2. More money in your bank account.

3. A custom made suit.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Evalutate my needs? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I evalutate your needs as

1. The love of a sexy asian chick.

2. More money in your bank account.

3. A custom made suit.

1. check.

2. working on it.

3. check.

more? i'm doing much better on this list than the one above..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4. .45 Glock 36 with custom waist holster

5. The collected works of Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore.

6. At least 3 pair of Dr. Martins.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Evalutate my needs? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing beats a well tailored made to fit suit. Have the jacket fitted to concel the glock under it w/out bulging. Doc Martiens are quite comfy as well.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply