Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX
Quote | Reply
I know this has likely been covered, but I could not find anything. Title pretty much sums it up, I'm trying to decide which helmet to bring to Houston. I'm coming from the PNW, so I'm not exactly heat acclimated, which is why I'm even bringing this up.

I've never felt like my Aerohead was terribly fast, and I like how the evade fits. However, the evade is new, so I don't have any real data to look at. I know it's highly personal, but what kind of time differences are we looking at here? Is this a 30-90 seconds kind of thing? Or more in the four to five minute range?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the Aerohead to be really hot. Not sure if forecast, but Houston can be muggy. I’d rather have the comfort and cooling of the Evade and maybe be a little slower than be sweating buckets and miserable in the Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both of these helmets and have never really found the Aerohead to be as hot as some folks say it is. I've done some pretty hot and humid races with it (Eagleman to name one), and haven't had issues with being too hot. Not sure on the time loss, but I'd think you'd be giving up a good chunk of time if you wore the Evade.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me, a few 70.3s and one IM with the AH...way hotter than any other TT helmet I've used. Even the old Bell Javelin felt cooler.

Last fall at IMFL- Haines, it wasn't that hot, nor super humid, but I sweat buckets in the Aerohead. In O-side few weeks ago same thing...at least you can flip up the shield for the longer climbs...obviously not going to be done at TX!

I'd use what makes you feel cool and fast. Personally I'm going back to the LG P-09 w/o the shield.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use both an Evade and an Aerohead. Last year I used the Aerohead at IMTX, and I am glad I did. Conditions were pretty nice last year. But in my opinion, wind is a bigger factor on that bike course than temperature and humidity. But I also think you are talking very marginal gains, so whatever you choose, don't overthink it. You'll be fine with either of those lids.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
for me, a few 70.3s and one IM with the AH...way hotter than any other TT helmet I've used. Even the old Bell Javelin felt cooler.

Last fall at IMFL- Haines, it wasn't that hot, nor super humid, but I sweat buckets in the Aerohead. In O-side few weeks ago same thing...at least you can flip up the shield for the longer climbs...obviously not going to be done at TX!

I'd use what makes you feel cool and fast. Personally I'm going back to the LG P-09 w/o the shield.

I have an Aerohead and just picked up a P-09 on sale that I'm going to try out. My main complaint about the AH is the weight on 70.3 distances - my neck gets sore after a while. I haven't found it to be too hot, but I have had sweat continuously drip onto the visor, from the inside, during a particularly hot Olympic distance race.

Weight wise, my kitchen scale says the P-09 weighs 3.5 ounces less than my AH, both in size medium and with visors on.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring both and pick what to use depending on the weather in the morning. Galveston was humid in the morning, so my Aerohead fogged up. I should have sprayed some anti-fog solutions before the race, so keep in mind that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To each his own on if the Aerohead is a hot helmet.

It depends is the answer.

If you think Ironman is going to shirk their responsibility to police the race and let it be an ITU style race like last year then the Evade. Most of the aero benefits are negated in a 20+ person group.

If you think Ironman/the refs are actually going to do their job then to what degree? Will there be small packs? no packs? tightly enforced (hahaha who am I kidding) then the Aerohead will be a better choice.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 22, 19 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
evade
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
evade

Arrived in Houston today, took me all of five minutes to realize I made the right choice leaving the aerohead at home. Oh damn it's humid here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
DBF wrote:
evade

Arrived in Houston today, took me all of five minutes to realize I made the right choice leaving the aerohead at home. Oh damn it's humid here.

Pffftttt....

This is nothing. Come back in July if you want humid.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you're talking about - its practically still winter! I still see people with their UGG boots and jackets if it drops below 70.
If you're not soaking wet 10 seconds after stepping outside its a "dry" day.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
CCF wrote:
DBF wrote:
evade

Pffftttt....

It is beautiful weather right now. Doesn't get much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:

I have the aerohead and lg p-09 as well. comfort wise I like the aerohead as it doesn't pinch down over my ears. but I've used in a couple races and I was sweating bullets. the lg p-09 w/o shield is so much cooler. I might have to test out the aerohead again. It's been awhile. I do really find it comfortable
Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Pffftttt....

I will not, thank you very much! Of course, we're bound to have another summer of wildfires at home, so I guess that's not much better.

Quote Reply
Re: Evade vs Aerohead for IM TX [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No joke. These last two weeks have been very pleasant, it's nice to have more than 6 hours of "spring" for once.
Last edited by: andrewhtx: Apr 24, 19 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Oh damn it's humid here.

Wow. That's funny. I wore full fingered gloves and long sleeves on my ride today.
Quote Reply