Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

European Ironman feedback
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's completed either of the the following IM's: France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

I've heard a little about each of these races and I'm currently leaning toward Austria. I've been told the locale and atmosphere is similar to that of Lake Placid.

Any additional info would be appreciated and for the record this would be our first trip to Europe (my Ironmate wife and me).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [dietrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easiest would be Germany followed by Austria as far as ease of getting around and the level of english spoken. Austria would not be a problem though and learn a little German and you'll be fine. Germany does have more americanized places to eat in case you have a hard time with the menus and McDonalds does serve beer, so it wouldn't be all bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Roth 5 times and think it is fabulous! I haven't done the others you mention, but have done IMH, IMC, IMNZ all multiple times and Roth is still my favorite.

Have fun!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done switzerland twice. really nice organization, well run race.

2003 was to hottest summer as long as I can remember. It was really hot, the water temp was very close, if not over, 24 Celsius but wetsuits were allowed. So you can count on a swim with wet suit. the bike consists of three 60km loops. the first section of each loop is flat along the lake, followed by a steeper portion as you ride away from the lake. there is the famous heartbraek hill you'll have to climb once on every loop. very short but plenty of spectators there that cheer for you. along the bike course you'll see cows and plenty of people cheering. the run is pretty flat and most of it is along the lake. Personally I really like the course. The bike course didn't seem very hilly to me, but I heard different from others. I can't compare it to many other courses because I'm still an ironembryo, but it the bike section is more challengeing than 1/2CA 03 course.

When you plan your trip, also consider the cost of living. Switzerland isn't exactly a cheap place to live, especially Zurich. But the transportation system of Switzerland will get you anywhere. So you might want to consider staying some distance away from Zurich and travel there in the morning by train. Also ask airlines about the cost for taking your bike with you. I remember that with Swiss and Delta (I believe), I could take 2 suitcases or 1 suitcase and 1 bike at no additional cost. Take this into consideration when planning your trip, it could easily safe you 60$ each way. But check again with the airlines to make sure.

hope that helps,

daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done my first IM this summer in Switzerland. I can't add a lot to what Daniel wrote.

One part of the run is not good (it leads along a road with driving cars and no spectators). But the rest of the course is nice.

Daniel, where are you from in Switzerland?

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Daniel, where are you from in Switzerland?"

Ich bi vo Basel aber studier momentan in dr Noechi vo Los Angeles in Northridge.

have fun at training,

daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Austria....On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 4.....not real impressed with Klagenfort, the host city, as a place to hang out. The last 500 meters of the swim are up a cannal that has less than clean water. The bike course is the most scenic ride I have taken in my life, wonderfull. The run is flat and fairly interesting. If you do a couple of IM's a year and want to expeience lots of different venues, give it a shot. If this is a once a year or once in a lifetme deal, I'd take a serious look at New Zealand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Austria, France & Germany and would have to say that the best race is Germany.

HOWEVER, Frankfurt is not a holiday destination, it's reason for being is as an administration and trade fair centre. If you know Germany at all or have friends/family in Germany go visit them and get to Frankfurt to register on the last day possible. We stayed in the race hotel thinking this would put us in the centre of everything, and were sorely disappointed. The area where the registration, Ironman village, pasta party and awards ceremony were held was 3 k across town right through the centre requiring you to navigate the bus and tram system as neither gets you all the way. Then the swim start lake was a 11 k from town down the autobahn requiring you get a hire car! If those are your tactics then you will have a great time with your friends and partner before hitting town for an incredibly well organised and supported race (700,000 spectators around the bike course!) you could do no better.

If you want to go to a nice holiday destination in beautiful countryside do Austria, the proviso is that you stay in a hotel around the lake where the swim takes place. You have a good selection of restaurants a leisure beach lakeside and a flat saunter into town you wish to. The race itself is very well organised and well supported with a friendly knowledgeable crowd. A previous poster mentioned the canal was not clean, basically the cleanliness could not be bettered, the Austrians only allow sail and electric powered boats on their lakes, the last 200m is in the canal feed by this but as it is relatively shallow some mud will be swirling about in the water.It has a few short sharp hills with long descents which make for a fast bike split followed by a flat multi-lap run around the lake and along the canal into town.

Do Austria and give your partner an enjoyable holiday and yourself a great race.

Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wait until 2005 you may have an IM in the UK to choose from as well!

kelly (not getting her hopes up)
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [kellwie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't compare IM Switz to any other European races, but I can compare it to both IMUSA and IM Florida.

Lake Placid is definitely my favorite race--I thought it was the best organized, best run, easiest to deal with logistically. Switzerland was very cool, though, beautiful swim and bike ride even if the run was a little haphazard and boring. Switz would be my favorite if it had been better organized and had more of an IM "feel" to it. Not sure how to describe that beyond saying that I noticed that many of the km markers were missing on the run, there were no km markers on the bike course that I saw, and the course itself was also very difficult to navigate on the days leading up the the race--very small signs indicating turns, etc. Finally, during the last half of the ride, I was sharing the road with cars and recreational cyclists... kinda disappointing.

Still, though, just for the sheer beauty of the area and the coolness of Zurich, I'd probably do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [Merve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I did Austria in 2001 and had a great time. Klagenfurt is very close to the Italy border and we took an overnight trip to Venice after the race, along with a train ride to Salzburg. The race venue is absolutely beautiful and the bike ride is right out of "The Sound of Music." The lake is very clean, although the visibility is not the crystal clear level as Lake Taupo in NZ or Kona. I enjoyed the canal once you got used to the closed in feeling and the algae (since all you had to do was float and let the draft take you). The run turnaround point goes through a beachside park, and the topless sunbathers provided a pleasant distraction! The race timing was also nice, since a large contingent of triathletes went off to see the Tour (Alps section) immediately after the race. I have done IMNZ and would recommend both races very highly.
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IM Austria this summer and have been researching places to stay on the lake with my family. Any suggestions for specific towns or hotels?
Quote Reply
Re: European Ironman feedback [Big Bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any suggestions for specific towns or hotels?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply