Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race?
Quote | Reply
This will be my first time racing in Europe, it will be Challenge Roth.

Interested in what others who have raced IMs in Europe think is the minimum days in advance to arrive in order to feel good on race day. Concerned mostly about jet lag as there is huge time zone difference. Generally I'm very fatigued the day after a long travel.

Arriving on Thursday evening after a 11hr direct flight + 2hr car drive, could be too late?
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wednesday would be better.
Getting there Thursday night that leaves Friday to back try to get back on schedule.
I have been a few times and I get there Tuesday from a over night flight into MUC 08:30.
By the time I get to the hotel In Nuremberg 2 o clock and stay awake until 10pm.when I get up Wednesday I feel good.
Then I can do race check in and get it out of the way then chill.
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How often do you travel across time zones? If you're experienced with that and have a good routine (even if you know you'll be exhausted that first day) then maybe Thursday morning is enough. Going to Europe from the US I prefer to do an overnight flight, do everything I can to sleep from the moment I'm in my seat, force myself into a full day, then early to bed. Maybe go for an easy swim/ run in the afternoon. Usually ~48 hours after landing I'm back to a normal schedule, but would want at least 3 full days. I also try to plan the hell out of that first day, because it can either be extra exhausting to be scrambling to find whatever stores you may need or whatever food you want; or you can end up just napping all day then you won't sleep as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
significant time zone difference travel maybe just once per year, so not often :) thanks for the tips to both of you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arrived on the Wednesday for IM Wales (overnight flight, 7pm>7am), but I've got 24 years of experience flying overnight from the US to the UK and can literally fall asleep before the plane backs away from the gate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I am racing Challenge Roth as well... we have a private FB group under Challenge Roth 2020, check it out.

Regarding your question to travel time, I think that is too late. I am flying out Monday/Tuesday night and arriving Wednesday. I just traveled from east coast USA to Nepal and used these homeopathic jet lag pills that worked very well.

Also, tons of water on the plane and melatonin to get sleep back adjusted. Zero jet lag with 9 hour time difference coming both ways. Travelling miracle, hope I feel as good come July!

https://www.rei.com/...bEAQYAiABEgLNovD_BwE
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [AC_triwarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! that product look very interesting.

Before using that product, in similar travel do you suffered jetlag? incredible that you didn't had any jetlag in such a long travel to Nepal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I travel to UK frequently to visit my brother and with the 4-5 hour difference I felt like crap every time for a few days so it was nice to not have that, especially on a special trip to Nepal.
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [AC_triwarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will give it a try :) Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old rule is one day per time zone to adjust properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my 9th time in Roth. I have always arrived on Wed or Thurs. Maybe not optimal, but what I could do and it worked out. See you there!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on age, and also if you are used to traveling between time zones. I used to live in Ireland and traveled back and forth between Boston and Shannon quite often. I was younger and the time change didn't affect me that much. I wasn't an athlete so it's a bit hard to compare. Fast forward many years and I was wrecked flying from Vermont to JFK to Copenhagen in 2018 to do my first European IM. We landed mid-day Wed after a long layover and delay at JFK. And the race was Sunday. I still had a very good race but wasn't fully recovered from the jet lag. I was 48 yrs old. But then I just recently raced again in Nice, France this past September and got there on a Wed morning for a Saturday race (direct flight from Montreal after a 2.5 drive from VT) I felt surprisingly good. But it was a half. Everyone is different. And the flight itself can make a difference. An easy direct flight is so much better than dealing with long layovers and delays. We are signed up for IM Wales next September and are planning on arriving on the Monday before Sunday's race. I anticipate travel will be rough!

I've also heard you need a day for every hour of time change and feel it's not a bad rule of thumb.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Nov 5, 19 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Really?

So just going from CA to FL is 4 days?
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having raced NYC mara a few times, I'd have to say that this is probably damn close to what works for me. I try to get into town by Thursday night, and am usually fully adjusted by Sunday because I gain 1 hour back due to DST.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Really?

So just going from CA to FL is 4 days?

Actually three days for 3 hours time change. I raced on the West coast of Canada from the East coast of the US and gave myself 4 days. Probably just needed 3 but it was a full IM and I had some hefty goals :-) Not everyone needs all this time. I do. Maybe it's because I'm older and hate to fly :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found leaving Wed. and arriving Thursday morning has worked for me. Will force myself to stay up until 8-9pm on Thursday so I'm exhausted and end up getting a good nights sleep and feel fine on Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AC_triwarrior wrote:
Congrats! I am racing Challenge Roth as well... we have a private FB group under Challenge Roth 2020, check it out.

Regarding your question to travel time, I think that is too late. I am flying out Monday/Tuesday night and arriving Wednesday. I just traveled from east coast USA to Nepal and used these homeopathic jet lag pills that worked very well.

Also, tons of water on the plane and melatonin to get sleep back adjusted. Zero jet lag with 9 hour time difference coming both ways. Travelling miracle, hope I feel as good come July!

https://www.rei.com/...bEAQYAiABEgLNovD_BwE

Homeopathic=expensive water

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not following what you mean by that? All I know is I took the pills and it worked, just sharing my recent experience. And the pills were cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AC_triwarrior wrote:
Not following what you mean by that? All I know is I took the pills and it worked, just sharing my recent experience. And the pills were cheap.

What he - correctly - means, is that you took some pills that consist only of sugar with no active substance inside. Homeopathy has no effect beyond the placebo effect.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Europe Full distance race - How many days required to arrive in advance to have a good race? [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting enough, I saw this Economist article today on my FB feed... I get what you are saying now. I had never heard this before but will still take the placebo effect!

https://www.economist.com/...g9QlRlWTHn6DIqI3aaQE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AC_triwarrior wrote:
Interesting enough, I saw this Economist article today on my FB feed... I get what you are saying now. I had never heard this before but will still take the placebo effect!

https://www.economist.com/...g9QlRlWTHn6DIqI3aaQE

Buy a pack of peanuts and believe they will work, then. Should be cheaper. No need for homeopathy; it's a multi billion $ scam.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply