Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Etymology of the term "Q factor"
Quote | Reply
I've been searching for the root for the term Q factor to no avail. There is a weak explanation on the Rivendell site alluding to Q for quack as in duck-like walking with a widened "tread". I don't believe it. Anyone out there that can help?
Quote Reply
Re: Etymology of the term "Q factor" [josermd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Q factor as it is used in anatomy refers to the quadriceps angle the creates the genu valgus (outward bend) of the knee when compared to the tibia...

your shin goes straight up and down (almost) and your thigh points outward from your midline... voila Q angle...

How this got to be used for biking I have no idea but my guess is that there is a optimal distance (for each person) to have their foot away from the BB, which would depend on that person's Q angle among other things.

hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Grant Peterson (of Rivendell) came up with the term "Q Factor" when he was working for Bridgestone bikes in the 80s/90s. "Quack as in duck-like walking" is probably the best explanation you're going to get. Grant has a lot of notions of how a bike should be built, but none of them are very scientific. He bases most of his ideas on comfort, aesthetics, and usability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll spare you all the details of the Quantum Optics definition of "Q Factor", but to make a long story short, it has to do with narrowness. A "high Q" resonator has a verry narrow linewidth compared to its bandwidth. Same definition applies to bandpass filters (like in your FM radio, or lock-in amplifier): high Q, narrow range of frequencies go through.

Not useful at all ... just felt like posting before hitting morning traffic on the 110. Going to LAX to pick up The Girl: going to Lake San Antonio tomorrow morning: Wildflower long course, yeah!

Dre'
Quote Reply