Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Estimate Open Half Marathon
Quote | Reply
I've only run one half marathon, that was in June 2012.. Did 1:45 but I didn't train for it. One week before the race I signed up to join some friends.. Was running twice a week about 10-12 miles at the time. At that time, my fastest 5K was 22:00

I've amped up my triathlon training a lot since then.. Doing 6 days a week of running on BarryP totally 31 miles per week... My most recent PR on a 5K is 19:55. The pace predictors say I should be able to do 1:32 right now. The half marathon is coming up in March 2013. I expect my 5K will around 19:00 by that time which gives an estimate 1:27 half marathon.

So is around 1:30 goal realistic?
Quote Reply
Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I've only run one half marathon, that was in June 2012.. Did 1:45 but I didn't train for it. One week before the race I signed up to join some friends.. Was running twice a week about 10-12 miles at the time. At that time, my fastest 5K was 22:00

I've amped up my triathlon training a lot since then.. Doing 6 days a week of running on BarryP totally 31 miles per week... My most recent PR on a 5K is 19:55. The pace predictors say I should be able to do 1:32 right now. The half marathon is coming up in March 2013. I expect my 5K will around 19:00 by that time which gives an estimate 1:27 half marathon.

So is around 1:30 goal realistic?

Dropping your 5k time by 0:55 in 3ish months is fairly ambitious. I think it's attainable, but I wouldn't just assume that you'll get there.
Quote Reply
Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [b33r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b33r wrote:

Dropping your 5k time by 0:55 in 3ish months is fairly ambitious. I think it's attainable, but I wouldn't just assume that you'll get there.

Well, I just dropped my 5k by about 60 seconds in the past 2.5 months.. I figure I'm no where near my plateau right now since I started barryp in october and training right. Seeing some mad progress over the past 2 months. But true I might not get there.. is 1:30-1:35 attainable based on my current numbers though?
Last edited by: 125mph: Dec 7, 12 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Well, I just dropped my 5k by about 60 seconds in the past 2.5 months.. I figure I'm no where near my plateau right now since I started barryp in october and training right. But true I might not get there.. is 1:30-1:35 attainable based on my current numbers though?

Based on your current numbers, it's absolutely attainable. We're at similar fitness levels - I ran a 20:05 5k in early October, and then 3 weeks later I ran a 1:32:08 open half marathon. You're a bit quicker over the shorter distance, so I would think that you could easily go under 1:32 right now. In 3 months time, with consistent quality training (and no injury), I'd say a sub-1:30 is in the cards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's hard to say. the main problem is that your run volume is still quite low. averaging 5 miles per run no less.
you need to go out and do some 15mile training runs and see if you can sustain the duration of high intensity running.

also, it would be much more useful if we had your 10km tri run splits. those are fairly close to half marathon race pace.
Last edited by: footwerx: Dec 7, 12 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
footwerx wrote:
it's hard to say. the main problem is that your run volume is still quite low. averaging 5 miles per run no less.
you need to go out and do some 15mile training runs and see if you can sustain the duration of high intensity running.

also, it would be much more useful if we had your 10km tri run splits. those are fairly close to half marathon race pace.

Well, I did a 15K last weekend at 7:55 pace and stayed in z2/z3 all the way. My most recent 10km tri split was in sept , it was poor at 8:45.. I was walking off cramps lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much vol should I be doing for a hakf marathon training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should be doing 8-10mile tempo runs. and the long run should be 13miles.
~40 miles ish
basically most runners i know in the 1:30 range can get out there and do 13 miles in 1:38-1:40 without taper.

my advice is take the first 10km in 42:30-43mins then speed up from there.
you should go under 1:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I don't have a running background and did a sub-20 5k this February for the first time. I then did tris over the summer before coming back to 1/2 mary training in the Autumn. I wanted to go sub 1:30 having a previous PR of 1:37. I was short on weeks to train before the race - I had about 7 weeks after returning to the UK. I followed this Runners World plan - http://www.runnersworld.com/...rathon-training-plan

I concentrated on building up tempo runs to get to 9 miles at 6:50 pace. I also did the speedwork in the plan and topped out at about 35 miles per week.

In the end I ran a 1:32 on a relatively hilly course at Blenheim Palace in the UK. I couldn't sustain the pace in the last 3 miles and put that down to being a bit undercooked. I didn't feel that I lacked the overall footspeed - it was a running endurance issue. That said my 5k PR is 19:58 and the Mcmillan calculator has me at a 1:32 1/2 mary. Then again I ran a 5:38 mile a couple of weeks after the race which would suggest sub-1:30 possibilities given enough endurance.

So I'd say your goal is very realistic given the time you have to train for your race. Good luck

Adrian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you?

Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
How old are you?

Currently 33, turning 34 in a few days. My run experience has been limited. Before 2012, the most I ran was 2 miles.... For the first half of 2012, I was doing too many tempo runs and my knee had issues. I could only run 2 times a week... Now with barryp, I lowered my intensity and increased my run volume, got it to 6 times a week..

Wondering what I can do at this time next year if I manage to keep up the running and stay injury free :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:32-1:34

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 33 i think there is sill a bit more of a window to see faster improvement. Therefore i would say that you will do 1:29- 1:30. With not much of a run background other then running in soccer I was able to do 1:34:?? Prior half was around 1:52. but i am in my 40's. I also went from 26:00 then to 22:00 down to 20:06 5k. Getting past the 20:00 has been the hardest and I still have not done it. But being younger I think it will be easier.

Quote | Reply
yes you can do it.
I think my 5K time is around 19 mins (I never really race 5K so it's an estimate) and I can run a half in 1:22, so 1:30 for you should be very doable
Quote Reply
Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amagangan wrote:
yes you can do it.
I think my 5K time is around 19 mins (I never really race 5K so it's an estimate) and I can run a half in 1:22, so 1:30 for you should be very doable

If you can run 1:22 you should be closer to 18:00 or under for 5k.

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [C W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking. I can probably run a 1:25 on a flat course and did three miles in a sprint in 18:00. So I'm probably right on an 18 minute 5k. A 1:22 HM would suggest under 18 minutes. However I do know a girl locally who is a 1:22 HM and is around 18:30 for a 5k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
footwerx wrote:

Never thought about it before, but this is fairly true for me.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Estimate Open Half Marathon [Winston Bulldog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winston Bulldog wrote:
FWIW I don't have a running background and did a sub-20 5k this February for the first time. I then did tris over the summer before coming back to 1/2 mary training in the Autumn. I wanted to go sub 1:30 having a previous PR of 1:37. I was short on weeks to train before the race - I had about 7 weeks after returning to the UK. I followed this Runners World plan -
http://www.runnersworld.com/...rathon-training-plan

I concentrated on building up tempo runs to get to 9 miles at 6:50 pace. I also did the speedwork in the plan and topped out at about 35 miles per week.

footwexr wrote:

basically most runners i know in the 1:30 range can get out there and do 13 miles in 1:38-1:40 without taper.

Well, I guess wish me luck! I'm a triathlete first and foremost so I still have to balance my swim and bike, with the bike being my strongest leg :) But I will give it my all for the sub 1:30 hehe.

Too many tempo runs over 45 mins sounds like a lot of knee pain to me lol.. A 9 miler at 6:50 sounds like a race pace basically, isnt it?

I just did my first semi-tempo 15K run since adopting the new training program. Did 9.4 mils in 1:08 (7:22 pace) with the first 10K at 45:00 (7:17 pace)... That appears to be on a 1:38 hm pace if I gave it another 4 miles. Still had plenty of gas left in the tank.. Just scared to goo too fast or my knees and shins may need 2-3 days to recover.
Last edited by: 125mph: Dec 9, 12 7:05
Quote Reply