Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Escape from Alcatraz cost
Quote | Reply
So I found out today I just got accepted to register for the 2019 escape from Alcatraz. The reg fee is pretty steep. And then I add in flight, bike shipping, hotel and realize that I’m over $2000 in cost for this one race. I know this is supposed to be iconic, but is the cost really worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it twice under the old price so my opinion is skewed by that

I will only figure the entry fee of $700 or whatever it is now since you’d have those other costs no matter the entry (and SF ain’t cheap)

The course? The swim is iconic but there’s lots of much cheaper ways/races to do it.

Bike? I made the decision while I was coming back to transition on the bike that I would not do it again. IMO it’s narrow and crowded and outright dangerous up at the Legion of Honor section especially if foggy - saw two bad crashes there each year. Golden gate park is nice to ride thru. I was simply enjoying the course each year, brought the roadie as I never felt there was much room for being in aero. Lots ride their TTs and seem happy

Run- obviously could do it for free but what’s the fun in that?, it is a cool run tho

Overall event - as much like an IM event as any IM I’ve done. Well organized and has that big time event feel.

Weekend in SF - there are worse places to spend a weekend if you have folks with you and can spend a day or two

Glad I did it? Very. Would I have done it at $700? Probably not. Knowing what I know is $700 worth it? Sadly no.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 22, 18 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also “won” their lottery. I will not sign up at $750. That’s two 70.3 races. I thought the price was $300 or something like that. I think they are somewhat desperate, because a lot of my friends got in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like other endurance or grown up sports, these races are pricing themselves out of business. $750 for a race, per person? Get out of here. I thought $30 was alot for a 35 minute cyclocross race a few years ago. Now these goons have the balls to charge $45 per race--for 45 minutes! No idea how some folks can pay for the race, travel, lodging, and the equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have sold out the past two years at $750 and they will again this year. It is an iconic race and is my personal favorite. Yes, it is expensive, but I think it's worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it the last year it was like $450. Totally worth it. In one year with no changes it inexplicably raises to $750, F that. Iconic race, yes. But if you’re traveling far and spending the kind of coin you mentioned above (SF Hotels in “summer”nare NEVER cheap), I’d pass.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
$750 for a race, per person?

Whether you agree or not, it would appear there are plenty more who will pay.

If the event is selling out that would suggest the market will bear that price. That's market pricing.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Quote:
$750 for a race, per person?

Whether you agree or not, it would appear there are plenty more who will pay.

If the event is selling out that would suggest the market will bear that price. That's market pricing.

Or possibly that the consumer is hurting themselves by paying obscene prices.

There's a couple options that cost a fraction and give essentially the same experience but for whatever reason don't have the same draw.

You are right: as long as people are willing to overpay, we can't blame the business for charging that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you that have mentioned other options...I know they exist, I just haven’t been able to find them. Can any of you mention events by name? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it’s supply and demand.

If people pay almost double of last year, the more power to the organisers and owners.

People need to vote with their feet if they don’t like it.

$450 to $750 in one yeah? I’d be out too.

If you actually started from the rock, I’d do it at any cost.

Is there a bay swim from the rock?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren't desperate, they've just figured out the pricing. Entering the lottery almost guarantees you a spot because the price point has eliminated a lot of people, but not so much that they aren't filling up the race every year.

Haven't done the race but the bike course is sub-par. Lot's of choppy segments of pavement that need to get redone, and with the shorter course and number of participants anyone I've talked to said it's just a group ride. Would recommend Wildflower weekend over Escape - can do the whole camping weekend for the cost of registering for escape

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah gotta imagine they were still pretty oversubscribed at 450. That is still in the range of people who want a once in a lifetime experience but might not actually prepare properly. At 750 for an olympic distance race you either are prepared or money is no object to you and no price point will keep you away. That said, I don't think Escape is worth 450 as is. Not a fan of the bike course (sets up to be a big group ride among other things), and on top of that the road surface is terrible for a good stretch.

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, personally, love it. This year will be number 9 for me. The competition is always super solid, and to your point, it's a 2000-2500 dollar race week. If it were 1700-2200 would you feel differently? (that would be the old price at 450,right?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if some of the back end race costs went up... supposedly the course goes through a lot of venues that require permits.

Otherwise at $700-750 for a race of that length I MIGHT do it once for nostalgia but I can do a couple of races for that amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I did it over ten years now. While it is one of my favorite races, I cannot see doing it again due to the prices. Do it once and enjoy the experience and never mind the cost.

Btw, we flew Southwest Airline and paid $50 each way for the bike. There is the mass transit system from the airport right to the area where the race is.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it this year for the first time.

No doubt, an expensive race. Coming from the East Coast, the race cost, Tribike Transport, flights, hotel, car rental (we stayed a few days after the race to hang out in S.F.).
Had to be close to $3K before I even stepped foot in a bar or restaurant. Granted you could probably cut some of it down if you travel with you bike and things like that

It's an experience though for sure. I really enjoyed it. The swim is as crazy as advertised....Don't even bother with a Tri bike. It's a road bike all day. Yeah, some of the roads are pretty sketchy and it's hard to take advantage of a lot of the downhills because of the turns at the bottom. Definitely a technical course. It felt more crowded than NYC and I think NYC has a thousand more people.
The run has more steps to it than the sand ladder and there is some single track that makes it a little hard to pass people sometimes.

I'm very glad I did it for sure. It's not something I would or could do every year, but I would consider it again in a few years....I want another shot at the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty smart marketing on their part, making people feel special by getting "selected". It's something else that can be bragged about via social media to those that don't know any better and think it's actually a big deal.

To those that don't realize it used to actually be a lottery at the lower price point a couple years ago, they are none the wiser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It;s a bucket list race for many for a reason - it's an amazing experience. I know it's expensive but if you can swing it, I'd definitely recommend you go!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seal was starting from the rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmEeFGVhMEM
Last edited by: endosch2: Oct 23, 18 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have sold out the past two years at $750 and they will again this year//

Are you sure they sold out, or at some point just stopped taking entries? Either way, there is going to be a year they do not fill up at this pace, and the pressure they put on people running a lottery is going to be quite apparent, and folks will not worry about getting in if they want to. Just from this tiny thread, you see several who "won" the lottery and are not going, so that is a lot of slots that are available through a non lottery entry. I suspect they went just a little too far, too fast on raising it, thus the backlash.

No doubt an iconic race, but for locals who can drive there, the $750 is more of an issue I would bet. People spending $3k+ not so much..

And I think Dave Horning still puts on a similar race for a few hundred bucks?? Anyone know it that is still going?? Not a lot of extras and pomp, but you get to go home and say you did the escape from alcrataz triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [SkyFly Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkyFly Gal wrote:
For those of you that have mentioned other options...I know they exist, I just haven’t been able to find them. Can any of you mention events by name? Thanks.

There are tons of swims - Alcatraz challenge, invitational, etc

Aquathon. - Alcatraz challenge was great since 1 no lugging a bike and 2 ran over the GG bridge and back

Tri- escape the rock or something like that
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I too won the 'chance' to enter Escape from Alcatraz tri, but no freaking way once I determined what it would cost. I did the Escape From the Rock duathlon instead, for a fraction of the price. It has the same iconic swim from Alcatraz to the mainland, no bike (or associated pain in the rear with transporting it), finishing with an 11.2k run to the base of the Golden Gate bridge and back to the aquatic park. I loved it... would highly recommend.

https://mailchi.mp/...escape-from-the-rock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Worth every penny. Awesome experience you will remember forever. It's considered one of the best races in the world for a reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
So I found out today I just got accepted to register for the 2019 escape from Alcatraz. The reg fee is pretty steep. And then I add in flight, bike shipping, hotel and realize that I’m over $2000 in cost for this one race. I know this is supposed to be iconic, but is the cost really worth it?

Not worth that price unless 1) you are a dentist and have a crapton of expendable income or 2) you have never been to San Francisco before and this becomes part of a bucket list vacation
Quote Reply
Re: Escape from Alcatraz cost [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
I, personally, love it. This year will be number 9 for me. The competition is always super solid, and to your point, it's a 2000-2500 dollar race week. If it were 1700-2200 would you feel differently? (that would be the old price at 450,right?)

Sorry, gotta call bullshit when I read it. No. No. No. No ply priced at 750 has "solid" competition. Unless you are calling it the north American dentist championships.

Beyond that, all the real competition isn't there, but keep telling yourself that the real reason youre doing better than you do against a normal field is somehow based on you but not that the 70 to 80% of normal competitors can't afford or refuse to pay an obscene entry fee.
Quote Reply

Prev Next