Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race I've done have used 2 ferries, but those races were smaller I think. Problem with the 2 x 2 would I guess be dealin with tides. I believe they schedule the swim to start just before slack, or the start of an ebb tide for marina green exits. Current will change quite a lot in an hour, perhaps making a finish impossible
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is negative pressure in middle ear cavity led to eardrum rupture and bleeding.

RZ wrote:
I understand the foaming. But why is he bleeding from his ears? It doesn't get through the eustachian tubes to the outside unless the eardrums are perforated. Can this happen when someone is bagged during CPR, or did this guy have eardrum tubes... or head trauma?
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my first Alcatraz swim also. Pretty rough; the choppy waters were much more of a factor than the cold in my opinion. Apparently they pulled a lot more swimmers from the water than they normally do (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...death_n_2803792.html).

I heard some people call for help right after the swim started; I joined in to try and get the kayakers attention and continued on afterwards. I hope it wasn't the guy in question.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has got to be the top comment from that article:

Excessive cardio activity - more than 3-4 minutes a day - is unhealthy and unnecessary.
We (our ancestors) only need to fight strongly or run to escape for a short period of time .

People should spend their time doing something productive or be idle.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you see man, it's like the chronic cardio and the corporations are like, totally holding us down man.

They want you to chronically train, they want you to buy their overly-designed shoes man, you're just a cog in the corporate machine man.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Man, you see man, it's like the chronic cardio and the corporations are like, totally holding us down man.

They want you to chronically train, they want you to buy their overly-designed shoes man, you're just a cog in the corporate machine man.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [MarkM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My condolences to the family.

I'm not trying to imply that the extra-cold water this year contributed to this particular death. However, I think the race directors should have their heads examined for staging this race in MARCH!

I swim year-round at Aquatic Park, as do many of my fellow members at the South End Rowing Club. Not speaking for my club here, but I know a few things:

1. Feb. 9 is the median coldest swim-temp day of the year. This year's race was placed only 3 weeks after this date.
2. This year, the winter swimming temps have been just slightly colder than usual. If you got 51 degrees at the race, that was lucky. It's been 49-50.
3. WIND peaks in the spring, between early March and end of May. Big-sea conditions are what you get about every other day.
4. TIDES are the least predictable in the spring. Often they are stronger than usual. Timing can be off what the tide tables say, by more than an hour. There can be maddening eddies near the shoreline. This makes it challenging even for highly experienced swim directors to instruct swimmers as to what they should sight on.
5. This combination of difficult conditions - temps, wind, and tides - subside like clockwork every year, by June 1. The Escape is usually in June. Temps by then are between 57-62, and persist at 57-62 till late October.

In other words, Sunday's swim conditions were no anomaly. Entirely predictable.

Lifeguards I spoke to said they pulled more people from this swim than from any Escape in memory, and that the swimmers were terrified.

Summer water temps persist through October, and wind (and wind-driven waves) are minimal in the fall. The race directors moved the date to avoid conflicts with the summer America's Cup races. Why did they not move the Escape to October?

I have completed 10 swims from Alcatraz - the first was at the 2006 Escape, the other 9 have been with my swim club. I almost never do Alcatraz swims between January 1 and April 30; conditions are not to my liking. (That said, many people do - but they are no novices.)

My congratulations to everyone who jumped in that water on Sunday!

- Oleander
Last edited by: Oleander: Mar 5, 13 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classy organization. Check their home page

http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good video showing swim conditions- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smX3YKyYvHw
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to you, stef32! However, too many others had to abandon the swim or needed to be pull out. I have to agree with Oleander that the Escape organization was negligent for not warning swimmers of the predictable difficult sea conditions.

stef32 wrote:
Classy organization. Check their home page

http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a strong swimmer by any means and I was really scared during the swim. I knew it was going to be hard but it was crazy(for me anyway). I knew before signing in that the swim was going to be challenging. I don't think I'm ready to blame the organization. Maybe some people didn't do enough research on the race before signing in. By the way, I'm extremelly sad about the death. When I got home I gave my wife a big hug and told her I much I loved her and started crying.

Formely stef32
Last edited by: stef32: Mar 5, 13 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has the swim ever been cancelled at the Escape from Alcatraz?

If so, can anybody recall the details?

Larry Creswell
http://www.athletesheart.org, @athletesheart
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [lcreswell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first time this year. Being from MI, all my training is in the warm pool. My last open water swim was September. My last big lake swim (Lake Michigan) was August. I've swam in some rough Lake MI waters and they are notorious for rip currents. I knew the Bay would be a challenge, but I did grossly under estimate just how hard the swim was.

Hitting the cold water was a huge shock. My head was dizzy and spinning. I just started swimming so nobody jumped on me. Once I got away from boat I stopped to get my sight line, but my head was still spinning. I came across some other swimmers all just bobbing up in down in the water. I immediately thought of the ending of Titanic. I asked a couple if they were okay and they were. I couldn't get my sight line due to dizzy head, so I just started swimming.

I couldn't get any grove going. My form sucked. No matter what side I breathed on, I was getting hit by a wave. I couldn't see shore very well with the waves and when I finally had my sights I knew I would over shoot the landing, which I did.

I did question my safety during the swim. I was so cold my whole body was shaking. It took me a long time to conquer the mental aspect of this swim. I just kept telling myself to trust my training. I eventually found a groove and the shore.

Quote | Reply
I did completed the swim. Escape From Alcatraz was my first triathlon and first time in rough open water. I signed up for the race only a few months ago, on whim, through a charity bid, because I thought it would be a cool way to celebrate my 50th birthday. Plus gain some serious bragging rights to complete one of the world's most challenging triathlons where 80% of the participants are male and only 1% are in my age/gender group of females 50-54. But that kind of whimsical thinking may contribute to why triathlon deaths are on the rise...recreational athletes don't fully comprehend that this is not a staged thrill ride at an amusement park. It is something to seriously think through, research and more than sufficiently train for.

If I had known the valuable info in Oleander's post, I would have never put myself through the Escape's already challenging swim in these Winter conditions. After the race, I learned about the tragic death of a 46 year old participant. I haven't slept well since, as the brutal water conditions keep playing in my mind. I guess I'm allowing my fear to finally be released now. Somehow I kept from seriously panicking out there in the Bay. If I had known that someone died at the start of the swim, I would have never jumped off that boat. About 150 swimmers were plucked from the water and repositioned, 3 times the normal amount. 10 decided not to continue, whereas on a normal year only 3-4 make that call.

I'm not a strong swimmer, only having started Masters Swimming sessions a couple of months ago, and a month before that I couldn't even swim two pool laps without gasping for breath. If I was the race director, I wouldn't let someone like me get on the boat. But I figured that my mental and physical endurance training from marathon running would be sufficient to get away with only 3.5 months to learn how to ride a road racing bike with clipless pedals and swim in rough open water.

But swimming laps in a pool can not prepare you for being shoved around by the strong outgoing currents from the left and then slammed by the 6' swells formed by the 11 mph ocean winds coming in on your right. This information should be provided to the participants that morning so they were fully aware of what was out there and then make an informed decision about whether to continue or not. But the only thing we knew was that the water temperature was 51 and the air temp 52 (last year's race in June the water was 60 and air 70). I had no real idea what "rough" truly entailed under these unusually harsh conditions due to the race being held in winter instead of summer.

I'm sure that Ross Ehlinger initially thought the Escape was a fun and cool challenge, too. He probably planned to proudly show his finisher's medal to his three young boys. Instead, his wife had to witness his lifeless body on the dock while she cried "He said he could do it...", as first responders averted their eyes from the heart breaking scene. This could have been me and my family. Or yours.

So, can another tragedy like this be prevented? Perhaps requiring a signed certificate from your doctor saying that you have cleared a basic physical and appear to have the mental and physical ability to undergo such a demanding undertaking? Maybe a commitment from race organizers to not schedule races during the Winter's harsh swells and immobilizing cold? Proof that you've completed at least "x" amount of triathlons that involved open water swims? If this is your first tri, then a certificate from a swim program/workshop showing that you successfully engaged in an open water swim with currents and swells? The ability to clear a lottery and hand over $400 should not be the only firm requirement to engage in a potentially life threatening activity.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Elevation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for your honesty, actually, that took a lot of courage.

I've been doing Tri's since '85 (some years off, but, still lots of experience). I enjoy ocean swimming - it's my favorite. I told my wife yesterday. there is no way I'd ever do a race that has me not able to do a warm up swim - especially in cold water. Not gonna happen - no way - never - it's not worth it. More important, not fun. I'm still learning about a proper warm up for a fast all out effort in a pool swim. Even in a warm pool I need nearly 1,000 yards to get ready for a hard 1,650.

Maybe I'm the only one. But, considering it's my life - that's all that matters to me.

Glad you made it. Perhaps you can truly enjoy a normal triathlon in waters that have few waves and decent temperatures. And, with an ability to do a warm up swim beforehand.

Cheers.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those unprepared for adverse conditions in future races ought to think twice the more often harrowing experiences like yours are published. Triathlon swims shouldn't provoke near-death emotions and memories that disturb sleep!

Indeed, newbies to a race like The Escape should be more fully informed of the risks. But let's not leave out of the discussion of risk factors those who have gotten prepared. Triathlon swim deaths seem more common among those with a history of participation. What are experienced participants doing that increases their risk?

Elevation wrote:
I haven't slept well since, as the brutal water conditions keep playing in my mind. I guess I'm allowing my fear to finally be released now.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Good video showing swim conditions-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smX3YKyYvHw[/quote[/url]]

----

Thiose conditions were indeed tough and the cold probrably made them worse but it just goes to show that people really need to start doing some research about just what can happen in a true open water swim.Apart from slower swim times and a little extra fatigue,conditions like those should not trouble experienced open water swimmers too much and races like Alcatraz should not be open to inexperienced swimmers.Period!

The swimmer that comes into shot at 15 secs into that video is a classic example of someone who really should not be out there.

I too agree that no warm up in cold water is an issue of many but that I guess is why so few sign up for events like Norseman.

--
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Mar 6, 13 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences to the family.

But all of you complaining about the conditions.... any of you done any research about air and water temp in San Fransisco before singing up or getting into the lottery?

I've always though that you have to "qualify" for this race and that it was very selective because of its difficulties, regardless if March, April, May...Unbelievable that for so many this was their first triathlon experience!

I am convinced that there is a demand for "hard, epic, difficult" races in triathlon. Such races should be labeled and marketed as such, with proper participants' qualification and experience. These races would still sell out.

It might be worth to consider to have a race difficulty label system (Beginner Friendly, Intermediate, Advanced, etc) and keep the sport appealing and challenging to a vast pool of participants. If every race has to be easy and accessible to everybody, this sport will lose its appeal, to me at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Michel08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michel08 wrote:

But all of you complaining about the conditions.... any of you done any research about air and water temp in San Fransisco before singing up or getting into the lottery?

I've always though that you have to "qualify" for this race and that it was very selective because of its difficulties, regardless if March, April, May...Unbelievable that for so many this was their first triathlon experience!

I am convinced that there is a demand for "hard, epic, difficult" races in triathlon. Such races should be labeled and marketed as such, with proper participants' qualification and experience. These races would still sell out.

It might be worth to consider to have a race difficulty label system (Beginner Friendly, Intermediate, Advanced, etc) and keep the sport appealing and challenging to a vast pool of participants. If every race has to be easy and accessible to everybody, this sport will lose its appeal, to me at least.

Interesting idea about the label. Don't know if it would "fly" but I like it. As a point of reference - Auburn Worlds Toughest half doesn't sell out. But, it's not the swim that's tough. The other two are plenty tough. So, the sell out part is not only about a label.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedalhead wrote:
Those unprepared for adverse conditions in future races ought to think twice the more often harrowing experiences like yours are published. Triathlon swims shouldn't provoke near-death emotions and memories that disturb sleep!

Indeed, newbies to a race like The Escape should be more fully informed of the risks. But let's not leave out of the discussion of risk factors those who have gotten prepared. Triathlon swim deaths seem more common among those with a history of participation. What are experienced participants doing that increases their risk?

Elevation wrote:
I haven't slept well since, as the brutal water conditions keep playing in my mind. I guess I'm allowing my fear to finally be released now.

That is the thing, participants of Escape to Alcatraz are informed of the risks. I distinctly recall multiple mentions during the registration process that this is not a beginner race, hence the qualifying system. For lottery entrants, you are required to include race results that are supposed to prove you are ready for an event like this.

In both the registration process and all over the site, first-time participants are warned against participating unless they at least complete the 'Escape Academy' training camp, which despite being another obvious money maker for the race, is also a pretty smart idea to actually get people prepared for this race.

Let's be realistic here on both fronts. The race attempts to prove people are prepared through qualification, prior results or training camps, but obviously does not fully enforce this.

I’m sure there is more the RDs could do, or could have done in this specific case to inform the participants of the likely conditions. But this is something I will stand by to my grave, the ultimate responsibility lies with the participants to make informed decisions over their own wellbeing.

Show me one place in any Escape materials where it says this is a beginner friendly race, otherwise quite frankly, anyone who came into this race unprepared needs to own up or shut up about where the blame lies.

Quote:
Is this a good race for first-timers?
A: This race is extremely challenging and we do not recommend for first-time triathletes unless you have experience in similar disciplines, are in excellent physical condition, or have been working out with an experienced trainer or coach. We recommend attending an Escape Academy Clinic if you are training for this as a first-time triathlon or even if you are experience but have never done this particular race before.

From the race FAQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Michel08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michel08 wrote:

Not to get into a BT vs ST pissing match, but...

This was the biggest reason I gave up posting/lurking over there - someone would post about an upcoming race, saying they weren't sure if they were prepared enough for the swim, and instead of receiving the hard, factual advice they probably needed, it would turn into a group hug with people recommending strategies like hanging onto rescue kayaks/boards, backstroking it, etc.

I've even had people in real life (who do triathlons) ask me why I swim 2500+ yards in a workout when "most swims are only 400 or 800 yards". I really don't think a lot of people signing up to do these races appreciate what the swim requires, and what failure to prepare properly can result in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elevation wrote:
I did completed the swim. Escape From Alcatraz was my first triathlon and first time in rough open water. I signed up for the race only a few months ago, on whim, through a charity bid, because I thought it would be a cool way to celebrate my 50th birthday. Plus gain some serious bragging rights to complete one of the world's most challenging triathlons where 80% of the participants are male and only 1% are in my age/gender group of females 50-54. But that kind of whimsical thinking may contribute to why triathlon deaths are on the rise...recreational athletes don't fully comprehend that this is not a staged thrill ride at an amusement park. It is something to seriously think through, research and more than sufficiently train for.

If I had known the valuable info in Oleander's post, I would have never put myself through the Escape's already challenging swim in these Winter conditions. After the race, I learned about the tragic death of a 46 year old participant. I haven't slept well since, as the brutal water conditions keep playing in my mind. I guess I'm allowing my fear to finally be released now. Somehow I kept from seriously panicking out there in the Bay. If I had known that someone died at the start of the swim, I would have never jumped off that boat. About 150 swimmers were plucked from the water and repositioned, 3 times the normal amount. 10 decided not to continue, whereas on a normal year only 3-4 make that call.

I'm not a strong swimmer, only having started Masters Swimming sessions a couple of months ago, and a month before that I couldn't even swim two pool laps without gasping for breath. If I was the race director, I wouldn't let someone like me get on the boat. But I figured that my mental and physical endurance training from marathon running would be sufficient to get away with only 3.5 months to learn how to ride a road racing bike with clipless pedals and swim in rough open water.

But swimming laps in a pool can not prepare you for being shoved around by the strong outgoing currents from the left and then slammed by the 6' swells formed by the 11 mph ocean winds coming in on your right. This information should be provided to the participants that morning so they were fully aware of what was out there and then make an informed decision about whether to continue or not. But the only thing we knew was that the water temperature was 51 and the air temp 52 (last year's race in June the water was 60 and air 70). I had no real idea what "rough" truly entailed under these unusually harsh conditions due to the race being held in winter instead of summer.

I'm sure that Ross Ehlinger initially thought the Escape was a fun and cool challenge, too. He probably planned to proudly show his finisher's medal to his three young boys. Instead, his wife had to witness his lifeless body on the dock while she cried "He said he could do it...", as first responders averted their eyes from the heart breaking scene. This could have been me and my family. Or yours.

So, can another tragedy like this be prevented? Perhaps requiring a signed certificate from your doctor saying that you have cleared a basic physical and appear to have the mental and physical ability to undergo such a demanding undertaking? Maybe a commitment from race organizers to not schedule races during the Winter's harsh swells and immobilizing cold? Proof that you've completed at least "x" amount of triathlons that involved open water swims? If this is your first tri, then a certificate from a swim program/workshop showing that you successfully engaged in an open water swim with currents and swells? The ability to clear a lottery and hand over $400 should not be the only firm requirement to engage in a potentially life threatening activity.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing and glad you are here.

To Manofthewoods. I have been racing tris since 1985. I am not a beginner. My best IM swim times before shoulder and neck injuries were 54 and 56 minutes (56 minutes at IMC, so legit....54 in Roth). I'm not a novice nor "weak swimmer". Nevertheless, I am completely opposed to 2 things:

• large mass starts
  • no swim warmup area

Like you, I need a long warmup. I prefer to ride my bike 20 minutes (if possible) from hotel to race venue to get my heart rate going in a benign environment....then ideally a swim warmup, but if I can't do a swim warmup a run warmup. A race like Alcatraz which I have no intention of over doing, I would not be able to do any of these.

I am yet to hear of anyone dying at the start of masters swim practice at the Y, but we always hear about guys dying at the start of triathlons. How come no one is dying at masters swim at the start of their morning swim? Why? I don't know, but no one starts masters swim in a full out sprint with 2000 people swimming over their back in cold water with a wetsuit on.

We can't get rid of the cold water part in racing, and we can't get rid of the "wetsuit part", but we can get rid of the 2000 people simultaneously and we can add warmup areas.

Is anyone aware of an athlete dying at the start of a swim in a no wetsuit race (maybe there are)? Personally I never have panic/hyperventilation without wetsuit, but I have had it with wetsuit.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this video that shows how “rough” rough can truly be on the SF Bay in the winter. Prior to the race, I searched endlessly for useful videos, but most footage was shot from far away and last year’s water conditions appeared much calmer. It'd be great if the race directors post this valuable video on their website to concretely illustrate what "rough" really is and give people a reality check on their mental and physical abilities.

I trusted that the race directors chose March 3 because, although chilly, it would be the ideal tide conditions outside of the Escape's regular June summer date. But the SF Bay’s winter conditions proved to be unpredictable and rougher than any of us could have imagined. Hopefully the Escape will never have to be scheduled outside of it’s June summer date again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elevation wrote:
The ability to clear a lottery and hand over $400 should not be the only firm requirement to engage in a potentially life threatening activity.

While my previous post in this thread was not directly in response to your post, it certainly was influenced by it. While I can sincerely appreciate both your honesty and your perspective on the topic, it's hard not to point out the immense difficulty in that closing statement.

There are countless potentially life threatening activities or situations I could engage or insert myself into in a daily basis. My commute to work is a potentially life threatening situation. Every single time I head out the door for a bike ride, I'm participating in a potentially life threatening activity.

Consider the waivers that you have to 'read' and sign before registering for races, consider the 4, or was it 5 separate waivers that you had to sign at packet pickup for this race? Consider the mandatory athlete briefings, the multiple, and I stress multiple newsletters that were sent out for weeks prior to this race explaining the course and challenges. How can anyone possible argue that the risks associated with triathlon are less communicated to you than the literally countless more statistically dangerous activities that we participate on a daily basis?

Could the sport as a whole do a better job to communicate risks? Certainly, and as these deaths continue to happen I'd think it inevitable that they eventually will.

However, I will never concede on the point of personal accountability. No amount of education or warning in the world will help if people simply ignore it. Sure, some form of compulsorily medical examination might help by removing the personal choice from the matter, but how is the absurdity of that statement not self-evident? We have to force people to look out for their own well-being? Is self-preservation not the most basic and universal of all instincts?

Any death is a tragedy, and this is no different. But life is full of measured risks, and it's my responsibility to decide which ones I'm willing to take or potentially suffer the consequences.
Last edited by: tgarson: Mar 6, 13 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Escape From Alcatraz death? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
While my previous post in this thread was not directly in response to your post, it certainly was influenced by it. While I can sincerely appreciate both your honesty and your perspective on the topic, it's hard not to point out the immense difficulty in that closing statement.

There are countless potentially life threatening activities or situations I could engage or insert myself into in a daily basis. My commute to work is a potentially life threatening situation. Every single time I head out the door for a bike ride, I'm participating in a potentially life threatening activity.

Consider the waivers that you have to 'read' and sign before registering for races, consider the 4, or was it 5 separate waivers that you had to sign at packet pickup for this race? Consider the mandatory athlete briefings, the multiple, and I stress multiple newsletters that were sent out for weeks prior to this race explaining the course and challenges. How can anyone possible argue that the risks associated with triathlon are less communicated to you than the literally countless more statistically dangerous activities that we participate on a daily basis?

Could the sport as a whole do a better job to communicate risks? Certainly, and as these deaths continue to happen I'd think it inevitable that they eventually will.

However, I will never concede on the point of personal accountability. No amount of education or warning in the world will help if people simply ignore it. Sure, some form of compulsorily medical examination might help by removing the personal choice from the matter, but how is the absurdity of that statement not self-evident? We have to force people to look out for their own well-being? Is self-preservation not the most basic and universal of all instincts?

Any death is a tragedy, and this is no different. But life is full of measured risks, and it's my responsibility to decide which ones I'm willing to take or potentially suffer the consequences.

Must be nice living in that fantasy world of yours. The real world the rest of live in is filled with idiots too irresponsible to make sound judgements. Another feature of the real world is that the actions of idiots affect more than just the idiot.

It is bad for business to have people die. It affects insurance rates paid by races. It affects how much I have to pay to compete. It affects the willingness of communitites to host events.

While it does not appear to be the case here, there are too many one-and-doners leaping into events they do not the experience to do. I do not think it impinges on people's freedom to demand that they crawl before they walk. You want to do a certain event. Fine. Show that you have a minimum level of experience. Do a few half Irons before doing an Iron. Do a few Olympics before doing a half. Stack on some sort of extra qualification for known difficult swims.

It strengthens the sport to encourage a lifestyle and history of participation instead of doing the minimum to get a fucking tattoo to show off to your coworkers and neighbors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next