Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care"
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a lead on how I can escalate issues with Specialized?

Short version: I crashed during a race at 48kph, went off the road and down a ditch. Was surprisingly ok, but my Venge was broken, the handlebars were broken and my Di2 shifters were broken.

The shop in Malaysia where I bought the bike is no longer a Specialized dealer but sells Trek. They put me in touch with someone else. Weeks went by and nothing happened. I even wrote to Spesh directly and got a reply after 3 weeks saying "someone will contact me". Nearly 10 days later, no one has.

2.5 months later, my crash replacement frame hasnt been registered. I havent been told whether they even have a Venge frameset for me and if they do, what color it will be and how much it will cost. I was expecting a sizeable delay in getting my crash replacement frame - that's part and parcel of things right now. But i was NOT expecting a 2.5 month (and counting) delay.

It's annoying AF. I am not even asking for a new frameset to be expedited - all I want is that they just give me the goddamn info so i can make up my mind and either get the replacement frame or get something else. And after 2.5 months, they cant even do this.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How / where/ when did you get a crash-replacement deal in the 1st place ?

I ask as I've got a Tarmac - but there's no crash-replacement deal on that. Just like Ford will sell me a new car at normal price if I wrap my current one around a tree, not sell me one at 40%.
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly cannot answer your question. I bought a new 2015 Roubaix in 2016 and had much more minor warrantee issues in 2017. No fault of mine, no crash. Minor material defects. The bike shop, Specialized dealer, where I bought the bike, waited for months for a reply and never got one. The impression I got, was that this was pretty normal. This gave me time to find a different bike, so that I could keep training. The LBS finally fixed the Roubaix out of their pockets. I sold the bike, and that was the end of me riding Specialized anything.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How / where/ when did you get a crash-replacement deal in the 1st place ?

Many (most?) bike manufacturers have a crash-replacement program, including Specialized.

Quote:
I ask as I've got a Tarmac - but there's no crash-replacement deal on that.
Yes, there is. Specialized calls it their Assisted Replacement program and the amount of the discount varies according to the age of your original frame. The maximum discount is 35% off a new frame if your original frame was less than 3 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've a 2012 Epic MTB. That came with lifetime frame warranty. After 3 months frame cracked - was swapped for new on, different colour, but I actually preferred it.

2019 I got it serviced for a creaking shock, and in the process they discovered some cracks in the frame. After a little bit of grumbling about what 'lifetime' means they then tried finding a replacement, albeit challenging as the front had gone through axle for several years and the frames were all now 1x without front mech mounting points. They offered me a swap to a stumpy, but I ended up with a c2016 epic frame (brand new) although did cost me $1000 in labour and a new dropper seat post as the size had changed. They were also very insistent on the original receipt which was a pain as the shop I bought from had gone bust, and when I finally an unbelievably did find it in a drawer then it was simply a beige strip of thermal paper. And being longer than 6 years ago even online bank statements weren't readily available. I had to get a copy from my bank.

All up it did take about 3 months to sort.

Now given that I have a 2000 Cannondale lefty hardtail and a 2005 CAAD5 I still ride, then I take no shit about 'crack'nfail' given the almost 100% rate of specialized frames needing to be replaced in my immediate circle / club.
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok folks thanks for correcting me.
I'd not been aware / didn't see anything in the info I got at the time.

I've got to add to the other comments that it did take me 16 years to go back to Specialized for a 2nd bike as I was yanked around (part by the LBS) after the swing arm on a Stumpjumper full susser cracked after about 3 years, and had an argument being told the swing arm not being part of the frame so outside the frame warranty (ffs they don't sell a front triangle on it's own). I defo had to pay full price for the part.
Haven't bought any new bike (or anything beyond a pair or brake pads recently) from that LBS since (Leisure Lakes) as they sucked up with Specialized and didn't support me one bit. It had failed due to a shiiite piece of detail engineering design in the swing arm / pivot causing the tube to buckle then crack mid section. I did finally choose Specialized again and went with the Tarmac for a few reasons, inc it was available just as Covid exports were ramped up by China in early 2020, was available on a tax-break deal via work (a particular 'bike to work' type scheme) and also unlike most new road bikes these days had all standard parts that I could replace non-Specialized (seat post, stem, bars all standard shape and size) and had a sensible threaded BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I certainly cannot answer your question. I bought a new 2015 Roubaix in 2016 and had much more minor warrantee issues in 2017. No fault of mine, no crash. Minor material defects. The bike shop, Specialized dealer, where I bought the bike, waited for months for a reply and never got one. The impression I got, was that this was pretty normal. This gave me time to find a different bike, so that I could keep training. The LBS finally fixed the Roubaix out of their pockets. I sold the bike, and that was the end of me riding Specialized anything.

Ironically, i bought the Venge because the manager of the shop was an absolute star. Had they still been a Spesh dealer, i am pretty sure they would have gone to bat for me. I dont mind waiting for the replacement frame but FFS, how hard is it to just let me know what I will be getting, so that i can plan?

Are you in the US, btw? I wonder if whether the service is provided by Spesh or a distributor makes a difference. Eg, around here, Garmin warranty and after-sales is provided by the country distributor and it is all kinds of terrible - a significant difference from Garmin's amazing customer service in the US and EU.

This certainly is the last Spesh for us, as well.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound like me with Evans and Cannondale. Broke frame at the seat tube/top tube joint. Apparently my seat had been too high/frame too small. Bullshit, it was an XL, and examination of the frame by a Material Science PhD was poor weld penetration.

Their remedy was, “here’s a voucher for 10% off a new Cannondale”.

In contrast, I’ve broken a few Specs. They were replaced quickly with no questions asked, labour the only cost. When they couldn’t find a Tarmac frame they upgraded it to an S Works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waiting 2.5 months for a frame? not sure if you have noticed but the the entire bike industry is massively backed up. Customers who are willing to pay full price are waiting over a year in some cases. You are expecting a deep discount on this frame. You will be waiting much longer than 2.5 months.

Street by street, block by block!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guadzilla wrote:
... are you in the US?...

Yes, in Kansas, smack dab in the middle of the US. And all Specialized had to do, was pull a couple cheap parts off a shelf, and send them to my LBS. Yet they chose to ignore, and loose a customer for life. Interestingly, at the time, I was trying to decide between a Shiv or a Cervelo, for my first tri bike. The same LBS is a Cervelo dealer. It was during a trip to the LBS, to sort out the warrantee issue, that I bought the Cervelo, that I’m still racing.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [Skinnyxvgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skinnyxvgn wrote:
waiting 2.5 months for a frame? not sure if you have noticed but the the entire bike industry is massively backed up. Customers who are willing to pay full price are waiting over a year in some cases. You are expecting a deep discount on this frame. You will be waiting much longer than 2.5 months.

He's waited 2.5 months for a response... not a frame. 2.5 months to get his information registered and find out what the lead time is on a frame, what options he has, and how much it'll cost him.

I personally wouldn't be a future customer if I had to wait 3-4 weeks for responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
I ask as I've got a Tarmac - but there's no crash-replacement deal on that. Just like Ford will sell me a new car at normal price if I wrap my current one around a tree, not sell me one at 40%.

On newer frame Specialized's crash replacement program is actually pretty generous and applies to second hand owners as well
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

On newer frame Specialized's crash replacement program is actually pretty generous and applies to second hand owners as well

“ Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.”
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bearlyfinish wrote:
He's waited 2.5 months for a response... not a frame. 2.5 months to get his information registered and find out what the lead time is on a frame, what options he has, and how much it'll cost him. I personally wouldn't be a future customer if I had to wait 3-4 weeks for responses.

^^ This. In fact, i have told both the distributor and Spesh that i dont care how long it takes to get the frame - i just want to start the process. Tagged Spesh on Twitter as well.

I really did like the Venge, and 35% off would make it a pretty good buy. But even that is fast losing its appeal - were it not for the fact that at this point, I want to force Spesh to honor their bargain, I'd have just walked away.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Escalating with Specialized to find a solution to complete lack of "Rider Care" [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
jhammond wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

“ Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.”

Incredible movie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
guadzilla wrote:
... are you in the US?...

Yes, in Kansas, smack dab in the middle of the US. And all Specialized had to do, was pull a couple cheap parts off a shelf, and send them to my LBS. Yet they chose to ignore, and loose a customer for life. Interestingly, at the time, I was trying to decide between a Shiv or a Cervelo, for my first tri bike. The same LBS is a Cervelo dealer. It was during a trip to the LBS, to sort out the warrantee issue, that I bought the Cervelo, that I’m still racing.

Damn. I always thought Spesh had really good service in the US.

--
Quote Reply