Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses
Quote | Reply
I personally wish that pros made more money, I really do... but nothing annoys me more than people complaining about how little they make at their job. Eric, you literally point out how your value is less than others or how others are willing to do more for less. Welcome to capitalism!

With all that said, dude, I feel for you. You deserve to make more.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never managed to feel sorry for triathletes who say they don't make enough money. They travel to races, train outside and don't have to do a day job, which is what I call a weekend and do in my spare time.

For people who do feel bad about their plight, they can write a check and help them out (my bet is most don't really feel that bad).

What I'd really like is someone to sponsor me so I don't have to work all day and can spend my time training in places like Kelowna. I accept interac transfers or checks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a shame that was your only takeaway worth sharing.

For me, the video is about slowing down and enjoying the lifestyle. A welcome contrast to the monologues we get from others in the pro field.

The fact he is a realist about the economics shouldn’t dilute that message.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s wallowing... but glad you see the bright side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh I think he's real. He's staring the reality that this sport has no real way to support it's "pros" beyond pretty much world class of the world class. He's staring and dealing with the newer hardships.

No more olympic distance races, more hurdles to get with sponsors. I think he's just being real as fuck with the reality that that lifestyle isn't likely sustainable or that yes "van life" is going to have to continue even more.

So I dont think he's wanting anyone to take pity on him, I think he's just being real in a very real moment.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prize money comment is a such a small comment. You analyzing their swim workout would have been more insightful.

Thumbs up to Eric and Paula on an honest and non-ego video about life as pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in the van with your hot and fit girlfriend, traveling the world like a retired person, and making a few bucks here and there, certainly could be worse. I think and hope he realizes that these will be some of the best times of his life. The only difference a few more bucks makes is the food you get to eat, and maybe a nicer RV rig. But in the end, most non top pros just end up in the same exact place when they retire, pretty much broke and ready to start the next phase of their lives. Only question is when does this happen, in 10 years, 15, or 20+. IT truly is about the journey for guys like him, good results just enable you to keep putting off the inevitable, which I highly recommend doing for as long as you can!!

Of course there is always that brass ring to keep grasping for, a small % actually get it and can set up that 2nd phase quite nicely..Stay on the merry go round Eric, you have the rest of your life to do that other thing, whatever it is..
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speaking of hot gf.... his ex Magali Tisseyre seems to have completely fallen of the tri scene radar. anyone have updates on her? Last seen 2018 doing an xterra race
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well she's 37, so it's kind of time to probably move forward. She was on a MTB in Whistler 5 weeks ago and hasn't tweeted in 2019. But why are you asking? When you could like...google?

IRT to the actual question about the prize money. Honestly, I look at what it pays to 5 deep. I do agree that prize purses aren't big enough at most races. But going back to say the PTO crap. Where do you think that money will come from? Hello my registration fee, no thanks! Although, if Eric wants to start a Patreon he puts out some good stuff and probably could get a few patrons.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 9, 19 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
speaking of hot gf.... his ex Magali Tisseyre seems to have completely fallen of the tri scene radar. anyone have updates on her? Last seen 2018 doing an xterra race

Eric is on slowtwitch and posts from time to time. Shit like this above is exactly what keeps pros out of slowtwitch. I have nothing against OP, whether its a fair comment or not, he did it with taste but for fuck's sake leave his past and current relationships out of this conversation.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enjoy his videos way more than anyone that hires a vlogger to interview them on life updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thimg i always wonder is just how.bad many pros are at selling themselves, not saying eric is.
From everything to a website or just having a FB page, some pros dont seem to care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use to think pros were worth more... but the market has spoken, they're not.

Paula can always go back to medical school.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the reality is actually that Ironman/ Wanda, and the previous owners, do not provide any platform for pro's to be professional athletes.

if this was treated as a sport, rather than a fun run, with proper coverage showing the racing and race dynamics of long course triathlon, then it would be very different in terms of outside investment entering the sport.

this is primarily the joke coverage of professional racing in long course and along side this you have the absolute unprofessionalism of the governing bodies.

as it is, the coverage, even in kona, currently shows the leader of a race just outside exercising and telling age grouper stories. along with moronic commentary. boring af, even if you are a genuine fan of the sport, let alone bringing in new casual fans.

the people who are saying pro's should be grateful just for having the lifestyle of being able to train and race, don't seem to have the same attitude towards other sports stars making millions, where proper coverage and a platform is provided to them to be professional athletes. very odd and thoughtless.

treat triathlon as a sport, not some bs fun run.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note: I haven’t listened to the interview. But as to triathletes being underpaid, yeah, they may be underpaid, but, as far as underpaid professions, they don’t crack the top 100.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I play real sports. Not trying to be the best at exercising." Kenny Powers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad wrote:

the people who are saying pro's should be grateful just for having the lifestyle of being able to train and race, don't seem to have the same attitude towards other sports stars making millions, where proper coverage and a platform is provided to them to be professional athletes. very odd and thoughtless.

treat triathlon as a sport, not some bs fun run.

I don't think it is fair to compare it to big money sports. Triathlon doesn't get 50000 people paying $100/ticket (or whatever) to watch a race. It's not a spectator sport so there will never be big sponsor or fan money. Pro triathletes know that going in, its a lifestyle they choose, and I'm jealous, but it is what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how much do you think ticket sales contribute to the multi million dollar prize funds at tennis grand slams?

triathlon for sure does not need to rely on ticket sales (or age grouper revenue) to fund the professional sport).

gives the pro's a proper platform to create a fan base and the external investment will come. benefitting pro's, ironman corp and age groupers.
Last edited by: Chad: Oct 10, 19 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Magali has posted on instagram recently that she is retired from competition.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think it's the governing bodies or the poor race coverage that is keeping the professionals "down". I think it's the fact that the sport can't generate interest that is allowing races to go away (non draft olympics), or the fact that long course triathlon is boring AF. And that it's boring AF has zero to do with how they broadcast the event and has far more to do with the actual racing ability/content it can provide.

Your sport is successful and makes millions if you can provide an entertaining product to the masses. That's it. And keep in mind you have a boring AF sport like cycling as well that has figured it out. Their races are as boring as IM's are and at times nearly as long. But they have a fan base and culture that reveres the sport. We don't have that. Hell the own AG athletes continously say "I dont care about pros", so if they dont who in the hell thinks joe schmoe sitting on the couch is going to be bothered to care.

And that's why you actually see wonky ideas like the Collins Cup who's going to allow "interaction" with the athletes in real time be part of the broadcasts. They are trying to drum up excitement for it. Of course that Collins Cup has been talked about and then paused for like 3 years now.

It's also why the reality of it is that the only real successful chance anything triathlon has to making it is going to be in short course racing. Fast paced racing that takes place in under 2 hours. Not this all day racing, that's boring AF and for the birds. And I actually coach and support a group of developing pros that some only have a chance of making it at the long course distance. I'd love for IM to be on ESPN and watched by millions. But it aint going to happen. Hell go look at the Super League downloads on Youtube. If they've even gotten 100k views, I'd be shocked. So then it's simply about doing the best you can with what you got and I think IM does it well for that. I don't think they are going on the "cheap" with their broadcasts to keep the sport down. They are putting in what exactly they think they should.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 10, 19 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
And that it's boring AF

My family went to watch my last long course race. The only reason they were there was because of me. There was nothing to do as they waited until I passed specific locations, no simple video coverage and no real reason to get excited because they had no investment into others that were racing.

Once you figure a way to get people emotionally invested in a race with over 2,000 people racing for their personal goals, who nobody knows, that's when you will be able to take it to the next stage. I don't see that ever happening.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And... Baseball works because they have College and State Teams. Football works because they have College and State Teams, like volleyball and softball etc.... People went to that College or live in that State. It creates a rivalry or battle against another College or State. Players get traded and people don't switch Teams because of the player. They could really care less about the player. It's the State or College they are cheering for. Asking people to care about a Triathlete is not going to happen. There is no connection. Golf is unique because a million retirees play, support and watch it after their weekend game, usually involving a bet and 4-12 guys/gals, beers and stories.

I'm pretty sure Triathlon will always stay more of an underground sport and as a nobody I'm okay with that. Pros should be okay with that as well when they try to make a living with it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any sport works because it provides entertainment. Make it entertaining enough and people will rush to watch your sport. Advertisers (who are the real $$$$ makers for athletes) will then come to your sport, etc etc. There's a reason why people watch football but not softball. I dont think there is 1 single professional softball league on any broadcast. It's why I cringe when I hear "equal pay" for sports. The WNBA players are suppose to make equal to what the NBA players simply because of equality? BS, your going to get paid what your worth is defined as.

And currently triathlon's worth is nil. I'm just going to push back on this idea that it's nil because WTC is keeping it at nil or that the governing bodies are doing it wrong. Triathlon's worth is nil, because it's frankly a boring exercise event. End of story. There's nothing exciting or noteworthy to get people rilled up about the sport. There's hardly any personalities, there's hardly any rivalries, there's hardly anything of substance to get people to want to care.

So you want your pros to be paid worthy. Figure out a way to make people care. End of story.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 10, 19 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I don't think it is fair to compare it to big money sports. Triathlon doesn't get 50000 people paying $100/ticket (or whatever) to watch a race. It's not a spectator sport so there will never be big sponsor or fan money. Pro triathletes know that going in, its a lifestyle they choose, and I'm jealous, but it is what it is.

This was my thought also. You aren't getting ticket sales and TV contracts (and the associated advertising money). They know going in that there isn't a lot of money in the sport just like some people choosing careers that don't make a lot of money. They get into it because they have a passion for it (or it's what they are good at). And I am all for them trying to get more money, but it has to come from somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Lagerstrom on Pro Prize Purses [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure pro's know what it is when going in. but why isn't everyone in the sport trying to make it as good as it can be? why should pro's settle for ironman corp to run it into the ground while messick lines his own pockets?

I'm not saying triathlon is going to be as big as tennis etc, but it can easily be far better than it is now for pro's and age groupers if they create a platform for pro's to be professional athletes. just takes investment in creating that platform.

hell even just being able to watch the race playing out properly in kona would be awesome from a fan point of view, rather than just watching one guy out in front exercising. there's not even splits as they get out the water, it's pathetic!

or is it better that $30m just leaves every year in 'interest payments'?

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply

Prev Next