Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Epic Days
Quote | Reply
Lets start this off, what is your most "epic day" so far, mine include a 200 km bike ride, which started off as a 60 km.. and then i met some people, and the ride just progressed, we sorta got lost, it was a blast.

My next epic day is going to be this thursday. The goal - Swim 15 km in 5 1/2 hours. This will take place during every lane swim during the day at the local pool, + a 1 hour swim workout with the tri team. (I will be posting updates as the day progresses)

So, thats mine, what are yours?
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Days [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Epic Days have been the monstor bricks that I would do in my final Ironman prep training.

4 hour hard solo ride at under Ironman race pace then right into either a 2 hour steady run at 7:00 min pace or slightly faster or run to a local running track and then do 10 X 1mile in 6:00 min with a one lap jog recovery then run home. That was a always a mind/body blower, but IM seemed "easy" after doing these Epic workouts!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 4, 03 14:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To train for the Eco Challenge we had these 24 epic hour days.
The worst was a 157 mile bike with 20,000+ elevation change, 14 mile kayak and 11 mile scramble with loaded packs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I suck. I don't really have any exciting days to date. Just the basic long ride days.

After reading the Epic Camp articles though I've become motivated and am planning to head over to Joshua Tree National Park for a weekend in a couple weeks with my tent, bike, and running shoes. I'm looking to get in about 150 miles on the bike and 22 - 26 miles on foot. Hell, I just can't wait to go camping.
Last edited by: Pooks: Mar 4, 03 14:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see...

Riding from Renton to Bothel, racing a criterium, then riding home. Bonked big time with 5 miles of climbing to go (105 miles).

Riding from Renton to Bothel (again) for a team ride that never materialized, rode the training ride myself, then home (can't remember the distance, but it was over 110).

Doing an all-day run, where I carried spare shoes, socks, and shorts (no shirt) in a day pack. Never did get a distance for that one.

Many days where I rode my bike to the pool, swam for an hour, rode home, then did a run.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a potentially GREAT thread...would love to get some input from Monty, etc. on this one.

My epic days took place while I was living and training out of Nashville TN in the early 90s and they were done with my training buddy Rich who was a perennial top 5 finisher at the Double Iron Triathlon in Alabama. I was an ironman newbie and being with an ultra distance guy really showed me the way. Our big Saturday workout was to ride south out of Nashville towards Tullahoma TN and at the 75 mile mark there was a big lake; we carrried our Speedos and googles with us and would hop off the bike and swim 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back along the shoreline; quite choppy water in this recreational lake filled with boaters and jetskies. By then it was usually about 2 PM ( we were late risers) and time to head back to Nash in 90 degree heat and what I swear to this day was a net gain in elevation going north. by the time we got home my legs were like cement and I would sleep for 3 hours, get up and eat, and go back to bed till morning. I was always too trashed for anything on Sunday but Rich would usually get in another 80-90 on the bike and 3 grand swim (an easy day for him but he liked the wraparound effect).

I was motivated to do these sessions because I had the fear of the DNF at my first couple IMs. Suffice it to say neither one (IMCan 92, 93) was anywhere close on the scale of difficulty as were those memorable rides with Rich.

the older I get, the better I used to be. thanks for reading.

Chip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, lets be careful here and not overuse or misuse the term "epic." Any day worthy of "epic" status must include at least 3 dog chases, including one where a miniature poodle actually jumps through your spinning spokes causing you to crash and finish your ride with a severly untrue rear wheel, four wrong turns resulting in at least an extra 95 miles, you have NO money and thought you could get by with only one gel on your three hour "easy" spin which is now an eight hour odyssey, two flat tires but you only have one tube, one patch, no glue, and have to walk six blocks to a local garage where the toothless, tobacco chewing, cursing mechanic reckons you "orta think 'bout gittin uh pickumup, steada ridin' roun in yer underdrawers like sum serta homersexue!", and topping it off, your computer stops recording at 35 miles providing you no backup as you recount your solo "epic" to your buddies! If you can't meet these minimum criteria, your day isn't an epic, just damned long and hard.

Seriously though, "epic" is getting a lot of travel time on the forum since Molina's series. Let's not overuse it. Seems to me to be better to rate a day as "monster" or somesuch, and leave "epic" for those truly soul searching multi-day gruelathons. Just my $.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Days [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the thread was titled "epic days" TriBriguy and what I posted was definitely epic as we use the word in triathlon parlance. I never claim to compare myself to the epic training of Molina, Gordo etc. but then again.....I have a job.

By the way, I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z-71, white with tinted windows. It gets me thru the snow and gives me a way to haul my bikes. Does that make me a redneck??

you being the forum czar and all, I thought I'd ask.........
Quote Reply
Another one [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not epic, but it was long, and tiring, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Lake Padden triathlon, late June, lots of years ago. I did the "elite" race that started at way too early. Did well. I had brought along a friend who was doing his first tri that afternoon for the (don't remember the term, but it was the non-fast folks -- they even had a minimum time; if you went too fast, you were DQ'd) class. Any way, after reviewing the course with him, doing his warm up with him, I did the swim and run (didn't think I should mix it up on the bike course) for his race (with the RDs blessing), loaning him my wetsuit (hadn't done a Speedo open water swim in quite a while). I can imagine the spectators thought I was nuts when I exited the water and STOOD ON SHORE to cheer on my friend. I totally enjoyed the day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Days [chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me? Forum Czar? Hmmmm, I think Slowman would take umbrage with that idea. Nah, I just have a lot of spare $ so I toss my $.02 around a lot. Wink It certainly doesn't make me THE authority on anything here. I'm actually training myself in personal interaction with the civilian world. I've still got a lot to learn before I retire from the Marine Corps in a few years.
Quote Reply