Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Epic Camp Right or Wrong?
Quote | Reply
Molina's article on the main page interests me. I've already qualified for Hawaii next year and i'm wondering if doing his camp might be beneficial. I usually do a week similar to the epic camp 6 weeks out. Since Hawaii this year is on the 18th, the camp in Colorado ends 10 weeks or so before. This means that i'll have to modify my ironman schedule a bit, anyone have any advise? Anyone one out there attended one of these camps or does Molina himself want to comment?
Thanks,
Wes
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp Right or Wrong? [wesw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were qualified and had the opportunity, I'd jump at the chance. It seems with the timing you mentioned, the camp could easily coincide with a build period in your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mandatory. Definately helps prepare mentally and psychologically. I think it is better if you do it on your own though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also ask Gordo about it over at:

http://www.coachgordo.com/cgi-bin/config.pl

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do a lot of these hard training weeks with Scott and the other pros before the big races, only I would go to places of altitude. Usually Boulder, Tahoe, or Flagstaff. I would always get a tremendous benifit out of them. There were no organized camps, so we just went on our own and found a hotel and did it. If you've been reading this site then you know that we are building a high altitude playground right here in LA, and you can come when it suits your needs. MOre info on that later....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definately the right thing to do.

The secret is out. It's this over-the-top, break- all-the-rules kind of training that can really take your fitness to a significantly higher level. Ditch the "training program". Leave the HRM at home. Get out the door and swim/bike/run as hard and as far as you can for two weeks. Then relax for a while and reap the rewards.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've mentioned before on this site that one of my alltime favorite articles is from an issue of Inside Triathlon ca. 1995 (back when it was in newspaper print) written by Scott Tinley and called "The Desert Lizards Training and Tanning CLub" or something to that effect; it's all about a week spent in the AZ desert with ST, Molina, and Erin baker training and working on tans. It's not only hysterical but inspirational and I like to refer to it whenever I think I am "training hard". (Sorry to repeat myself for those of who have seen me talk about this article before).

Dave Scott knows about thebig volume weeks too and he used them for his returns to Kona in '94 and '96...'course the man did most of it alone unlike the others who need group support for such insanity!! The details of his training are well-recounted both on the NBC Hawaii coverage and also in back issues of Inside Triathlon. I bet Dave would share them with you if you e-mailed him off his website.

I think the only caveat with these weeks is to make sure the timing is right with respect to your event; too far out and you won't see the effect, too close and you won't recover. I think 3-5 weeks out is about right and I think Monty could prob comment on when Molina, Erin, etc headed to the desert before Hawaii; I think it was usually in Sept.

And of course make sure you are in good shape before you undertake it. Someone might be able to suggest how much % volume increase you can do in a given week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised that this thread is not getting more action, because quite frankly, if there is a silver bullet out there( and there really is not one) about how to get faster in any endurance sport, triathlon included, it's this over-the-top type of training that you do on a cyclical basis(periodization) that is going to give you the biggest bang for your buck and the greatest improvemnet in performance.

I know that I will ruffle a few feathers here, but it's not about PowerCranks, Computrainers, HRM's, Special Training Zones, SuperAeroBikes fancy diets or other gadgets and training tools. It's about getting out the door and periodicaly breaking the rules and really pushing the limits of ones personal physiology. It's risky, but if you know what you are doing, the rewards reaped can be huge!!

I don't mean to brag here, but I did moderatly well when I ran and competed in triathlon for this very reason. It was not the overall volume of training that I did, it was the two or three week stretchs of time that I would go all-out several times a year that really lifted my performance to a higher level. If someone looked at my training logs it would be hard to make a connection between what was in the logs and the string of low 9 hr IM races that I did. What did it, was the killer two weeks I would put in during each IM build up with a FULL recovery period after each one.

Back when I was just a runner in the late '70's, A European Coach that was visiting my running coach told me the best piece of training advice ever - When you go hard, go really hard and when you go easy, go really easy!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp Right or Wrong? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of you dudes experienced with these epic weeks...how did you put them into your training plan? i.e. how far out from your "A" event, and how did you plan recovery? Did you do several of these crash weeks during a season? The last few 5-7 weeks before an IM are what I am struggling with. Please! Tell me more!
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp Right or Wrong? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of putting in a epic week, which if you have a full time job may be tough. Try a 3 or 4 day camp on a long weekend. Put in 350 miles of riding or run 1 hr each morning then go to the track every other night. Other nights run an easy 10k. Sometimes there is no such thing as a junk mile. just a thought
Quote Reply
Tinley Article [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chip,

Is there an online version of the Tinley article you are referring to? - or do you have the details for the Inside Triathlon publication date?

Thanks,

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply