Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Enve SES 7.8
Quote | Reply
I need advice on the best on-line retailer for an Enve wheelset. Looking for the SES 7.8 with red logos. I see a lot of places to buy (including Enve's website), but very little in the way of delivery times. I don't want to lay out $3k and wait months for delivery. Who is the most reliable on-line retailer in terms of delivery times? Competitive Cyclist seems the best so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I need advice on the best on-line retailer for an Enve wheelset. Looking for the SES 7.8 with red logos. I see a lot of places to buy (including Enve's website), but very little in the way of delivery times. I don't want to lay out $3k and wait months for delivery. Who is the most reliable on-line retailer in terms of delivery times? Competitive Cyclist seems the best so far.

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly, Powertap. In stock and shipping. Might not be the lowest $$ though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Enve first and ask what current turnaround time is.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check with Wheelbuilder.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. A post directly on point. Looks like a 10 week delay, which is consistent with what I'm seeing (unless you use Powertap). Hello Zipps!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...week_delay_P6338770/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I also was told 10-12 weeks by Enve. I drove to Powertap and picked them up the same day. I wanted the PT hub anyway and they are so exceptional to deal with. Having ridden Zipps and many other wheels, and previously having a set of Enve 6.7s I would wait or go PT. No comparison in wheel quality, ride and warranty; Enve is by a pretty large margin the best out there at this point. There is a very valid reason they are back ordered and you'll always wonder why you didn't get the Enves. That nagging little man on your shoulder during your race will speak to you......
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Yes, I also was told 10-12 weeks by Enve. I drove to Powertap and picked them up the same day. I wanted the PT hub anyway and they are so exceptional to deal with. Having ridden Zipps and many other wheels, and previously having a set of Enve 6.7s I would wait or go PT. No comparison in wheel quality, ride and warranty; Enve is by a pretty large margin the best out there at this point. There is a very valid reason they are back ordered and you'll always wonder why you didn't get the Enves. That nagging little man on your shoulder during your race will speak to you......

Tell that to my buddy who had a manufacturing defect on his set, then had to wait nearly 4 MONTHS for a replacement. Rode the new set roughly 500 miles and snapped a spoke (flat bike path riding), warped a few others. Enve has not taken care of his needs and customer service has been sub par. Zipp gets my money and his for our next wheel sets.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
No comparison in wheel quality, ride and warranty; Enve is by a pretty large margin the best out there at this point. There is a very valid reason they are back ordered and you'll always wonder why you didn't get the Enves. That nagging little man on your shoulder during your race will speak to you......

Do you have a discount deal with ENVE?

Because I'm never buying wheels from a company that wants me to go slower.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 20, 17 3:09
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Call Enve first and ask what current turnaround time is.

For what it's worth I just ordered a set of 7.8s from Enve directly two weeks ago. They told me the current lead time is 9-10 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check with Brian at mybikeshop. He looks to have a few sets in stock still

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
No comparison in wheel quality, ride and warranty; Enve is by a pretty large margin the best out there at this point. There is a very valid reason they are back ordered and you'll always wonder why you didn't get the Enves. That nagging little man on your shoulder during your race will speak to you......

Yeah. You have to put these enthusiastic owner reviews in context. Quantifying ride in this category - no.

Quality sure, but I have multiple sets of both Zipp and Enve in the house. I've never had a visual quality issue with any of the Zipps and the recalled hubs were fixed before I had issues. The Enves have some visible blemishes in the carbon. I call them blemish because they aren't structural, but for what you pay... I only bought from Enve recently because there isn't much competition for the SES 4.5AR Disc wheelset, but this wheelset was reviewed online by James Huang and took a beating for poor quality control. How often do you see Bike publication reviews hammer one of these companies?

Warranty with Zipp has always been solid. It was better before SRAM came along and cut off a lot of direct interaction. No experience with Enve, but when the wheels I want to buy are delayed 6-8 weeks I don't have a lot of hope that warranty replacement will be speedy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Slower than who? I just did a bunch of wheel & tire testing this week, and that wheel ain't slower than anyone else. The key to that wheel, though, as with all wheels, is tire width. The new ENVE was designed around 25mm tires, and anyone who owns one damn well better pay attention to that. Putting a narrower tire kills it. This, BTW, keeps it from being installed on a P5 because it won't fit on the front end.

HED is still the best deal in wheels, though. Might not have been the fastest thing we tested this past week, but they sure are good for the money.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
BryanD wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Slower than who?

Likely a reference to this thread Jim: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also no competition for the 7.8 SES wheelset in terms of road tubeless. Don't want or need road tubeless? Get a pair of 808s.

Or just get 808s...because Enve wants you to be slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please go read my thread about how Enve does not believe in disc wheels.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 20, 17 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, got it. Yeah, I don't have time for marketing, just show me data. Jake's a good guy, but you have to know if you're going to make a statement like that, you're gonna get called on it. Lesson learned, I'm sure.

Anyway, the new ENVE is fast but, again, tire choice is so crucial. I fear the complexities are getting too deep for the average, or even above average, consumer. Too many variables for one person to test (and re-test to confirm results), too many to keep straight without a spreadsheet in front of you before making a purchase. For such a costly item, buyers deserve to know how to properly use something they're paying $3K for. I'm not just speaking of ENVE, but any manufacturer that puts out a product claiming to be faster. Okay, fine, it's faster, but how and why is it faster? I'll stop now before I turn this into a full-fledged rant which goes too far off-topic. Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I just did a bunch of wheel & tire testing this week, and that wheel ain't slower than anyone else. The key to that wheel, though, as with all wheels, is tire width. The new ENVE was designed around 25mm tires, and anyone who owns one damn well better pay attention to that. Putting a narrower tire kills it.

Do you have some data to share on this? What tire, size, pressure? Did you test just aero properties? Or are you taking crr into consideration as well.

Appreciate any insight you can provide.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I just did a bunch of wheel & tire testing this week, and that wheel ain't slower than anyone else. The key to that wheel, though, as with all wheels, is tire width. The new ENVE was designed around 25mm tires, and anyone who owns one damn well better pay attention to that. Putting a narrower tire kills it.

Do you have some data to share on this? What tire, size, pressure? Did you test just aero properties? Or are you taking crr into consideration as well.

I'll be able to share some data after World Championships. This is what I meant by my last post, though. The manufacturers should be informing the consumer about how best to use their product; assuming, of course, they actually know the answer!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, stated tire width or measured tire width being greater than 25mm? I have a stated 23mm tire that measures 26.4mm on the 7.8 front wheel inflated at 100psi. I've a put a 25mm stated tire that measures almost 29mm on the same rim at 95psi. So this is where things start to get really confusing when discussing optimal tire sizes for specific wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
stevej wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I'll be able to share some data after World Championships. This is what I meant by my last post, though. The manufacturers should be informing the consumer about how best to use their product; assuming, of course, they actually know the answer!

to their credit, enve do have tire width recommendations on their wheel's webpages - eg 8.8=25mm, 4.5=23/25mm
the question though is always whether that means stated width for some specific tested tire or actual width. i think the quasi-data graph enve posted for 7.8 was comparing 23mm to 25mm GP4K so on a wide ID rim like that actually probably 25 vs 27mm or more (which violates the 105% principle). so far nobody comes close to Flo when it comes to ensuring the consumer is informed to get the best out of their wheels

will be very interested to see your data Jim, sounds like it contradicts Thomas Gerlach's suggestions (no data) that his testing showed 25mm as slower on 7.8s
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
Jim, stated tire width or measured tire width being greater than 25mm? I have a stated 23mm tire that measures 26.4mm on the 7.8 front wheel inflated at 100psi. I've a put a 25mm stated tire that measures almost 29mm on the same rim at 95psi. So this is where things start to get really confusing when discussing optimal tire sizes for specific wheels.

x1000

And for whatever reason the only people who seem willing to address and tackle and communicate about the problem head on are Tom A. And Thomas Gerlach

Agree with Jim: when I'm getting more valuable info from TG than I am from Enve or Zipp, it's a problem
Quote Reply
Re: Enve SES 7.8 [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
stevej wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

to their credit, enve do have tire width recommendations on their wheel's webpages - eg 8.8=25mm, 4.5=23/25mm
the question though is always whether that means stated width for some specific tested tire or actual width. i think the quasi-data graph enve posted for 7.8 was comparing 23mm to 25mm GP4K so on a wide ID rim like that actually probably 25 vs 27mm or more (which violates the 105% principle). so far nobody comes close to Flo when it comes to ensuring the consumer is informed to get the best out of their wheels

will be very interested to see your data Jim, sounds like it contradicts Thomas Gerlach's suggestions (no data) that his testing showed 25mm as slower on 7.8s

Okay, so without getting too detailed and getting myself into trouble. I'm guessing that 23mm was a GP4000s because it "possible" I have seen that mounted on the ENVE, measured it just over 26mm, and for some unknown reason, some reason I can't quite explain, I decided to get that thing off there as quickly as possible after only a few minutes of it being "ridden." I'm not saying it tested poorly or anything. I'm just saying it really, really needed to come off that wheel. Read into that what you may. ;-)

Put a 25mm whatever on there, it will expand to 27 or 28, or even 29mm, and you'll see good results. Hmmm, why is 28 bold?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim as some others have mentioned, I have some data that doesn't support Enve and yours. Now the data, doesn't take into account RR, and it is only wheel-only data, not bike, or bike+rider. The only reason I didn't release it publicly is I was trying to give supporters of the aero gofundme some advantage for actually making a donation. I will release the data at some point for the public. Maybe after the season is done.

Regardless, the fact that I am releasing the data, as Kileyay mentions, is embarrassing. I have never talked to Jake. As far as I am concerned it one nice thing about FLO. They went out of their way to be transparent. Maybe they needed to be, but if you are spending 3K you would at least hope to know what the optimal configuration, tire, psi is. To me this actually seems like real value you can offer customers to justify the 3K in the first place. I realize manufacturers may be scared that they won't be able to keep producing faster wheels (and showing it) and thus nobody wants to upgrade.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 20, 17 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
BryanD wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Slower than who? I just did a bunch of wheel & tire testing this week, and that wheel ain't slower than anyone else. The key to that wheel, though, as with all wheels, is tire width. The new ENVE was designed around 25mm tires, and anyone who owns one damn well better pay attention to that. Putting a narrower tire kills it. This, BTW, keeps it from being installed on a P5 because it won't fit on the front end.

HED is still the best deal in wheels, though. Might not have been the fastest thing we tested this past week, but they sure are good for the money.

Thanks Jim. It's nice you chimed in as some here tend to be swayed a bit by things they shouldn't. Real life usually differs from marketing.

BryanD; I have had 2 sets of Enve wheels and neither one was from a sponsorship, and neither one was purchased from Enve. Having ridden most of the leading brands (obviously not every MODEL in the brands) I have never had a set of wheels handle, corner and instill more confidence than the Enve ones I have ridden. Not scientific as you seem to want, but Jim brings the science.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for contributing what you did not just tell us Jim ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next