Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enve 7.8 ride experiences
Quote | Reply
Anyone here ridden the Enve 7.8s? If so, any feedback on how are they, in terms of ride quality and flex/stiffness?

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 ride experiences [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my set for a few years now with 240s hubs. No complains. They ride great, brake track works wonders, and I haven't noticed any flex even over 200 lbs on standing climbs.

Cant go wrong with the 7.8. HED is the better value but price is the only thing going against a set of 7.8
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 ride experiences [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I have had my set for a few years now with 240s hubs. No complains. They ride great, brake track works wonders, and I haven't noticed any flex even over 200 lbs on standing climbs.

Cant go wrong with the 7.8. HED is the better value but price is the only thing going against a set of 7.8

Ah perfect, that's exactly what i wanted to know.

I have a pair of Hed 6/disc on my TT (now tri) bike, and recently sold a pair of Stinger 6s that were on my road racing bike, so am a big fan of HED. But I am upgrading my race bike for the first time in almost a decade (Venge Pro), and wanted to splurge on a pair of Nice Wheels to go with the 50s that come stock on the bike. I've always had an irrational hankering for the Enves, so if there are no strikes against them, am gonna go with them, rationality/value be damned.

Thanks for that!

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love them, I started racing on them earlier this year. They have felt great are are surprisingly stable. I rode them in Kona this year and they were great, even in the crosswinds I felt comfortable and I'm 5'6 and 125lbs.

http://www.jennacaer.com
Instagram @jennacaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the disc version, love them much better wheels than my previous reynolds aero 72. Happy with the Enve hub.

The only thing is that they are a little much when descending in cross wind. Given where i leave (a lot of wind and hills on PM training rides), if i had to do it again i will get the 5.6 Front / 7.8 Back.

I'm 5.7 / 160lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used my Enve 7.8's the past 2 seasons and love them They do really well in the wind and the brake tracks are excellent. They are worth it , IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd sell the 50s that come on the bike and go for the 5.6 over the 7.8, especially for a road bike. The 5 front will be more manageable descending, pack riding, and in tricky wind conditions. It handles better than a Zipp 404 NSW, almost as good as a 303. The 6 rear will feel snappier accelerating.

I actually run the 5.6 on my TT bike with a Enve Disc for racing. I don't think I'm giving up much, if anything, by running the 5 vs the 7 in real world conditions.

If you're looking at road wheels, I'd look at the new Bora WTOs. I have a set of Bora WTO 45s on my road bike, and they are best wheels I've ever ridden, hands down. Maybe look at the WTO 60s?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 ride experiences [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, peeps. Sounds like the Enves are a go.

I had thought long and hard about whether to get 5.6s or 7.8s, pretty much for the same reasons you mentioned, @wintershade.

In the end, i was leaning towards the 7.8s because I dont expect to have any issues keeping those wheels under control (ride a 90/disc on my TT bike even in gusty conditions), and in the end, the theoretical advantages of slightly more aero is more appealing. Plus, I have the Roval 50s for when i need a slightly more normal wheelset - and going from the Roval 50s to 5.6s doesnt *feel* - like as big a jump. Not completely rational, I know... but somehow, the idea of getting 7.8s makes me all tingly and stuff, in a way the 5.6s dont.

That said, snappy acceleration - hmmm. That does sound appealing as well. Wonder if i can convince the wife i need both (I will have to bling out her Shiv first, though).

--
Quote Reply