Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enve 7.8 filled with rain water
Quote | Reply
long story short, after my ride today I threw my bike on the bike rack and drove home. during the drive home it started raining, nothing crazy just a normal rainy Sunday. when I wheeled my bike in the garage I noticed the swooshing sound coming from the rear rim. I then checked the front wheel and nothing. has this happened to anyone else? I tried spinning the wheel, tilting it etc but nothing would release the water. the wheel has internal nipples so I was surprised to see that it didn't have any type of drain hole. I don't think taking the tire off and removing the tube and tire will help bc the water is between the fairing and the internal nipple. do you think this could lead to potential issues like corrosion to the internal nipples? this would be a bummer on race day to find that your $3k race wheel is filled to the brim with overnight rain. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [nole-limit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would make Enve customer service your first call or email. They have always been very responsive when I've had questions/issues with my 8.9s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like any other wheel, ENVEs have a valve hole. Removing the tire, tube and rim tape will allow the water to drain out.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also has a spoke hole for every spoke underneath the tape.

As dave said. take the tape off. Then start shaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like a bloody nightmare if you're running a tubeless setup. Is this a known issue with ENVE wheels? You have to rip up your rim tape and shake the water out of your wheels after riding in the rain? Seems like you'd hear more about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nole-limit wrote:
long story short, after my ride today I threw my bike on the bike rack and drove home. during the drive home it started raining, nothing crazy just a normal rainy Sunday. when I wheeled my bike in the garage I noticed the swooshing sound coming from the rear rim. I then checked the front wheel and nothing. has this happened to anyone else? I tried spinning the wheel, tilting it etc but nothing would release the water. the wheel has internal nipples so I was surprised to see that it didn't have any type of drain hole. I don't think taking the tire off and removing the tube and tire will help bc the water is between the fairing and the internal nipple. do you think this could lead to potential issues like corrosion to the internal nipples? this would be a bummer on race day to find that your $3k race wheel is filled to the brim with overnight rain. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Another stupid Enve design flaw. So your racing in the rain and the rims fill with water?? How idiotic is that. Should be a drain hole drilled in the side of the rim......simple fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fear not my mavic comete rear does the same thing. Just loosen vavle stem and start shaking it. I have 95% of the water out that way. Right now it is still next to my dehumidifier. The strange thing this never happens to the front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Like any other wheel, ENVEs have a valve hole. Removing the tire, tube and rim tape will allow the water to drain out.

Have fun doing that on race morning if it rains overnight. If that is the only solution then it sounds like a serious design flaw. I have Flo Alum/Carbon front and Carbon rear. The front will gather water in the fairing when I wash it but a few flips upside down drains it. The carbon rear has zero issues with water. I'm going to guess the benefit of Enve over Flo disappears with ounces of water in the wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened with my Zipps too when I drove from FL to TX.
It took about 2 weeks to get all water out. Basically every day I would rotate the wheel a few times and making the valve hole stop on top and about 3-5 cc would come out each time. You can do that in one shot but it will take hours and I have no patience for that. Once 95% is out, the rest should evaporate eventually.
Next time when I drive through rain, I’ll make sure the valve is on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a reason not to buy enve wheels

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had this happen and have ridden them for several years, even having them torrential rained on the night before a race when racked outside. I put tape over the valve stem which helps seal them a but more.

I did have it happen to Zipps though, so I dont think its an issue unique to Enve. Any deep wheel with a fairing structure has this potential. I know for a fact its an issue with HEDs, the ST darlings.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Enves and haven't had it happen either. But to be fair to HEDs, they have drain holes. So if they do fill, which is more likely than with Enves, at least they will drain quickly
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
Never had this happen and have ridden them for several years, even having them torrential rained on the night before a race when racked outside. I put tape over the valve stem which helps seal them a but more.

I did have it happen to Zipps though, so I dont think its an issue unique to Enve. Any deep wheel with a fairing structure has this potential. I know for a fact its an issue with HEDs, the ST darlings.
Any reason these don't all have a drain hole. I have Swiss Sides Hadrons, rather similar to the HED Jet wheels. They have a small hole (maybe 3.5-4mm) drilled in the carbon fairing where the fairing meets the aluminium rim internally. Significant amounts of water therefore can't accumulate while the wheel is rotating, and it's trivial to rotate the hole to the bottom and let any water escape if some does accumulate. It's not exactly a difficult problem to solve. Removing the tyre and/or shaking the wheel is absurd!
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 filled with rain water [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So thinking about this more, it sounds like water is entering through the valve stem, not the spoke holes. If it's the valve stem, I assume this would be a non-issue if you're running tubeless, because the valve hole is air-tight.

Now if water is getting in through the spoke holes, that's a different story. But I don't see why it would really be any different with internal vs. external spoke nipples. Either way, the hole is sealed by the nipple, either with a nipple on the outside of the hole, or the inside of the hole.

So.... in a nutshell, I think this is a non-issue for tubeless riders. Just another reason to run tubeless I guess. And if you are running with tubes, then just put your bike in transition with valve stems up, securing wheel in position with rubber bands as necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
So thinking about this more, it sounds like water is entering through the valve stem, not the spoke holes. If it's the valve stem, I assume this would be a non-issue if you're running tubeless, because the valve hole is air-tight.

Now if water is getting in through the spoke holes, that's a different story. But I don't see why it would really be any different with internal vs. external spoke nipples. Either way, the hole is sealed by the nipple, either with a nipple on the outside of the hole, or the inside of the hole.

So.... in a nutshell, I think this is a non-issue for tubeless riders. Just another reason to run tubeless I guess. And if you are running with tubes, then just put your bike in transition with valve stems up, securing wheel in position with rubber bands as necessary.

The valve hole in tubeless is air tight into the inside of the tyre, not into the inside of the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
So thinking about this more, it sounds like water is entering through the valve stem, not the spoke holes. If it's the valve stem, I assume this would be a non-issue if you're running tubeless, because the valve hole is air-tight....
It's not going through the valve stem since this has a valve in it, beyond which is a pressurised volume (inside of the tube or tyre/rim cavity if tubeless). Did you perhaps mean around the stem through the hole provided for it in the rim? This hole will be through more than one structural element and only the inner one is sealed for a tubeless setup. Tubeless or not makes no difference unless you thought the water was getting in between the tube and tyre.... I'm assuming it's in the deep section of the rim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stems facing down and a piece of electrical tape over the stem. It keeps the stem from rattling as well as seals around the stem and stem hole, where I suspect the majority of water could enter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

It's the fairing that fills with water, not the actual tire part. Running tubeless wouldn't change this. The water gets in around the valve stem, and in neither tube, nor tubeless case does it get into the actual rim part.

I have the same issue with my 7.8s and it's really just been a matter of popping the tube and tire off, draining it through the valve hole, and letting it all dry out. Not easy to do on race morning, obviously, but it is what it is.

If I am leaving my bike outside overnight in transition, or on a bike rack while driving to a race, I orient my wheels such that the valve stem is at the 12:00 position (and sometimes, if I have the appropriate rubber band, will secure the wheel that's in the air so that it doesn't spin around). That seems to solve most of this problem, but after racing in the rain a few times, I noticed water got in there during the race itself. Again, not a terribly big deal to just drain it after the race by removing tube and tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every type of wheel I have owned has done this from time to time. Enve’s were no better or worse than others. Typically it has been when on the car in rain when nothing is rotating.

Never found it to be a big issue. Probably happens more than you know but just spins out when you ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm79k5iZfC4

Dropping this video here since it was a really helpful explanation

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, a vigorous side-to-side shake is the best method I've come up with. Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9zL_69cP_g
Quote Reply