Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enve 7.8 Wheel - does a 23mm tire fit?
Quote | Reply
Long story short, I bought an Enve 8.9 front and a 23mm Continental GP4000 tire. Turned out, the front wheel was defective and got a 7.8 as a replacement. This 23mm tire doesn't seem to want to fit the 7.8 at all - not even close. I've read somewhere that the new Enve SES wheels are a bit wider than the older wheels and that 25mm tires are recommended? Should I not bother with the 23mm and buy a 25mm?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Wheel - does a 23mm tire fit? [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are talking clinchers, they fit. I'm running 23mm GP 4000s on 7.8s without issue. I started with 25mm's but had issues with frame rubbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Wheel - does a 23mm tire fit? [David Swafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clinchers...thanks for confirming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure that the first bead is already in the middle of the rim (the valley of the U, if you were to look at them head on), before you try stretching the other bead over. You’ll find some clinchers fit better than others but nearly all will fit with the right technique or prep. I’d recommend switching to the Silca rim tape and perhaps prestretching the tire you’re having trouble with on a narrower rim or leaving it in the sun for a bit. There’s also a KoolStop bead jack that Thomas Gerlach recommends that I’ve had success with.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Wheel - does a 23mm tire fit? [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've never had an issue getting a 23mm or 25mm tire over any clincher until this one. the one side of the wheel that is already on the rim is in the middle of the U (if not even closer to the other side of the wheel) and still. i tried inflating the tub partially over night to straighten out the tire - it was a bit mangled, but nothing. using the plastic tire levers wouldn't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are both beads in the center of the rim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If i remember right, Jim at ero strongly recommends 25's with those wheels for optimal aero
Quote Reply